Virginia Beach Nightlife

mikefaceless

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uroma liqour license denied

This city really upsets me sometimes. There was no need to deny this lady's license. She is obviously trying to bring a positive and upscale feel to the oceanfront, something which is surely lacking. I wish the city would take their "family friendly" blinders off so that they can make objective decisions.

Uroma liqour license denied

This city really upsets me sometimes. There was no need to deny this lady's license. She is obviously trying to bring a positive and upscale feel to the oceanfront, something which is surely lacking. I wish the city would take their "family friendly" blinders off so that they can make objective decisions.

The problem is that it's on 17th Street, the second worst behavior area in the Resort Area. As a RAC Commissioner, I've been there a few times for bar closings, and 17th Street is a problem waiting to happen.

Where we really need a good nightclub or two is Town Center or adjacent.

I understand that but it is not fair to punish her for the actions of other bars. She deserves a chance just like anyone else. I agree that TC needs a nightclub or two but I imagine that she would've looked for space in TC if she wanted too. She wants to be on the oceanfront. Someone in the comments section made a good point. If this were a Red Star or a Cheesecake Factory would the application have been denied? Her establishment is not a "nightclub" in the traditional sense. It is more a lounge where alcohol is served and where they play jazz. Jazz hardly attracts the rowdy crowds.

VDogg I want to ech what you are saying. I was talking to some friends and their PARENTS went to attend the location but were highly discouraged when they found out they could only get fruit drinks at a jazz lounge. Obviously those in power have never been to a jazz lounge.

The claim that 17th street is rowdy is more of a reason to allow her location. Let's keep it real, 17th St has a problem with black clubs. Like I've stated before its the type of black club. Those that are there now & have been there typically appealed to 18 & up. I go back in time and if there was a jazz club right there my parents probably would've been regulars (my dad plays sax) so would I have hung out at those clubs, probably not out of fear of running into my parents. I think this new venture would curb violence and rowdy behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

Uromas gets its license

The conditions include closing at midnight, not admitting anyone under 21 after 9 p.m. and enforcing a dress code that bans 'do-rags at any time and, after 9 p.m., sneakers, T-shirts and athletic wear.

More uniquely, the agreement approved by the ABC Board prohibits "entertainment of any kind... that highlights in any way or promotes hip-hop or gangster rap music which incites violence."

Checked out the new Guadalajara's at town center last night finally. I was pretty impressed with the interior design & style of the restaurant, and was loving that fiber optic bar top. The atmosphere there was great as well, and I think I found the stiffest margarita maker in town as well. The only negative I had towards it was the somewhat loud live music playing in the non-bar area; seemed out of place and just a nuissance for those hoping for a quiet dinner out. Anyone else stopped by yet?

• 2 months later...

Archived