Wassssup with Church Street west of I-40?

ATLBrain

Does anybody have any insight on the stretch of Church between 14th and Elliston Place?

I think this area has so much potential for nightlife (or at least it seemed that way a few years back). Of course, it could benefit from the Gulch development. Is there any development in this area proper?

Also, it would be great to see pics.

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give it my best shot. Let's see, Purity Milk? Okay...here goes.

West of 40:

Hustler Hollywood: seems busy most of the time.

Lucky's Saloon: Large dance club behind Hustler. I believe I read it's about 8000 sq ft.

There's a small building across from Nashville office machines that's been redone and houses a bakery and a pretty slick residence or two. Cool patio area on the roof.

There's a contemporary men's clothing store, don't recall the name, but looks pretty interesting. If I was younger, I'd be there.

Next to that is Red, a very nice gay restaurant connected to Tribe, the nightclub.

Play, a club

Blu, a club

Outloud, large gay bookstore,

Giant Liquor store..always busy it seems

A little strip center that has come back to life with offices

the post office

Chappy's, a large seafood restaurant in an old building. Was relocate here following Katrina.

Church St. Cafe, a very nice gay restaurant. Open late to give partyers a place to chill and eat before heading home

I'm sure others can fill in the blanks I've left out.

Floral shops, other ethnic restaurants.

Baptist, Krispy Kreme and then Elliston.

There seems to be a lot going on on Church these days. Late nights find the streets with lots of the bar crowd out and about.

Church has come a long way, and I'm sure will keep the momentum going. It's become a popular district for gay-owned businesses and blends well with the rest of the neighborhood.

That's about it from me. But never fear, Brain, Church is moving right along.

Thanks for the informative update... I'm glad things are hopping on Church, finally. I remember the old Souther Aire liquor store with the family that would have killed you if your check bounced. Sounds like tings have come a long way. I always seem to turn too early when I drive into town... of course that's b/c White Castle is at the corner with Broad.

I'm not Dave, but the gay restaurant, Red, really does cater to the young gay crowd. It's trendy, gay owned and operated, and it's a place where you don't have to pretend to be something you're not in order to feel accepted. There is no secret gay cuizine, well maybe skinless chicken tenderloins. :shades:

lol, ha, a gay restaurant. I did just not complete my description. (jh, you did it well). Bars are called gay bars. I have flowers in my yard called gay feathers; they're not gay...they're not even birds, so figure that out. We have a Cowboy Church here, too. I don't if it's gay or not, but then, I'm sure there's a gay church, too. I think it was close to a redneck bar, which is down the street from the lesbian bar, next to the hippie cafe.

Buildings really do take on a life of their own, don't they.

I was at a small dinner party last night and come to think of it, we had skinless chicken breasts, but the real gay secret gay ingredients in the salad were the honey roasted walnuts and sweet apple/balsamic vinegar. That must have been it. Nothing much else but a gay ingredient will keep me up past midnight. :)

Anyone foresee any residential coming to this area? I would think that rental units would be most accomodating to the crowd wishing to live there (as I figure as one matures living next to a night club becomes less essential and fun). Just curious. Most "gay districts" in bigger, gateway cities are peppered with residential buildings.

^ With the amount of potentially available land between Hayes Street and Charlotte Avenue, I'm surprised new residential hasn't already taken root. Nevermind the proximity to downtown and West End. I do foresee new residential in this area. Long ago [or maybe not long ago] this entire area was almost completely single-family residential homes. The few ramshackle 30's-era and earlier homes that remain are around 15th Ave. Most were demolished long ago. Any residential built in the area now would probably be multi-unit, along the lines of the new 37206 building in East Nashville.

• 4 weeks later...
I'll give it my best shot. Let's see, Purity Milk? Okay...here goes.

West of 40:

Hustler Hollywood: seems busy most of the time.

Lucky's Saloon: Large dance club behind Hustler. I believe I read it's about 8000 sq ft.

There's a small building across from Nashville office machines that's been redone and houses a bakery and a pretty slick residence or two. Cool patio area on the roof.

There's a contemporary men's clothing store, don't recall the name, but looks pretty interesting. If I was younger, I'd be there.

Next to that is Red, a very nice gay restaurant connected to Tribe, the nightclub.

Play, a club

Blu, a club

Outloud, large gay bookstore,

Giant Liquor store..always busy it seems

A little strip center that has come back to life with offices

the post office

Chappy's, a large seafood restaurant in an old building. Was relocate here following Katrina.

Church St. Cafe, a very nice gay restaurant. Open late to give partyers a place to chill and eat before heading home

I'm sure others can fill in the blanks I've left out.

Floral shops, other ethnic restaurants.

Baptist, Krispy Kreme and then Elliston.

There seems to be a lot going on on Church these days. Late nights find the streets with lots of the bar crowd out and about.

Church has come a long way, and I'm sure will keep the momentum going. It's become a popular district for gay-owned businesses and blends well with the rest of the neighborhood.

That's about it from me. But never fear, Brain, Church is moving right along.

Archived