Giant tunnels through intown Atlanta?

Andrea

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not a California proposal. The Reason Foundation is based in Santa Monica, but that doesnt' make this a California. Reason Foundation is anti-government, anti-transit. They've been seeding anti-transit stories all around the country using dubious cost estimates. Policy integrity and underlying data are dubious at best, sort of like the now-defunct Tobacco Lobby, or as someone on this forum said, having the NRA write a gun control policy.

Trust nothing from the Reason Foundation.

• 5 months later...

old thread - just now reading.

tunnels are wonderful, whether they serve cars or trains. they are also almost always absurd...they're just too damn expensive.

a very different sort of group - a more progressive one - might have made a proposal such as this, and i'm surprised that someone has not yet posted a point of view that does not castigate the mere idea of a tunnel wholesale. urban anti-car types might see the value in tunnel-building - not because of the need to expedite more auto traffic through the city, but because of the need to remove enormous gashes that physically divide it. such physical divisions inevitably lead to cultural & economic problems that have nothing to do with cars. removing them is the one failsafe measure that opens the door to alleviating these types of problems.

that said, the heavily urbanized part of atlanta has wrapped itself around the I-75/85 sluice better than most cities have managed their highway bisectors. the urban 'fabric' (god, i hate resorting to jargon) is not so direly segragated by roads in atlanta as it is in most places. but that may be a matter of time, if those other places' roadbuilding histories can serve as precedents.

but anyone would be crazy to advocate a tunnel project (even one for transit) that costs twenty-five billion dollars. if i read that right. tunnels will always be non-starters because of money, and i'm afraid that's for the better...because of money.

Archived