Sligh Furniture Factory Renovation Proposal

GRDadof3

The race is on. According to Chris Knape, it looks like Jon Rooks is looking to turn the massive warehouse where Israel's Other Store is located now on Grandville (South of Wealthy) into apartments.

I don't know if it involves the entire building (the giant warehouse) that runs along Ellsworth, or if it is just the building on Grandville.

post-2672-1163598274_thumb.jpg

In my estimation, if Jon says he'll do it, he'll do it. He just needs to the city to extend the Grandville Ren Zone another 15 years, which I believe ends in 2011.

post-2672-1163598274_thumb.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta revise my map then.

post-2672-1163600600_thumb.jpg

That is huge. I think the city should definitely extend the Grandville Renaissance Zone, which actually extends all the way down to Clyde Park and Grandville. It would be great to spruce up that massive warehouse that has so much visibility from 131.

Anyone have any access to a picture?

edit: here it is on the 131/Century Ave side:

347924A01.JPG

(note to self, see if the city will help reimburse to get those utility polls buried :D )

post-2672-1163600600_thumb.jpg

There is a large dirt (?) lot that sits in the NW corner of that property. Maybe they're thinking of adding a parking ramp like Pioneer did at Berkey & Gay when it was converted to the Boardwalk Apts. It's 400 units total proposed, and you can probably assume at least 2 - 3 people per unit on average.

When are we supposed to get mass transit?

Hey, maybe someone will finally renovate the old Horseshoe Bar. :thumbsup:

The Sligh factory is mammoth. Here's a slightly wonky panorama:

298267707_75e2feb720_b.jpg

I can't even get the whole thing in this picture. I hope historic preservationists allow them to add balconies. In fact, I don't think this sits in a historic district. Anyone know if Heartside extends this far?

298264755_f3fa89ca54_b.jpg

There is a large dirt (?) lot that sits in the NW corner of that property. Maybe they're thinking of adding a parking ramp like Pioneer did at Berkey & Gay when it was converted to the Boardwalk Apts. It's 400 units total proposed, and you can probably assume at least 2 - 3 people per unit on average.

When are we supposed to get mass transit?

Hey, maybe someone will finally renovate the old Horseshoe Bar. :thumbsup:

Archived