Sligh Furniture Factory Renovation Proposal

GRDadof3

It may be that the city commission did Mr. Rooks a favor along with the other developers. As much as I try, I cannot imagine the Sligh building as viable apartments. But what do I know, I would never have thought that people would have so much fun living in an old high school either. Maybe their high school days were much happier than mine. And maybe people living in the Sligh building will enjoy CSX freight trains rumbling by all day and night on their way to Detroit.

Ugly as it might be, I think for now the highest use for this building is as cheap warehouse space and as a business incubator.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It may be that the city commission did Mr. Rooks a favor along with the other developers. As much as I try, I cannot imagine the Sligh building as viable apartments........

Ugly as it might be, I think for now the highest use for this building is as cheap warehouse space and as a business incubator.

i]

I'll throw some more chum in the water. I think denying the request because of the wishes of one particular developer would in essence be favoring the Fulton/Division project. And since the city has more at stake at Fulton/Division, they want it to succeed. My fear is the extension will be rejected and the Sligh will stay as is (a big hulking eyesore), and Fulton and Division will also go down in flames and the city will just rebuild a ramp there (I'll bet you $50 that's what will happen in 2009). So we'll have two failed opportunities because of the pressure from one developer. If I can't succeed, no one will.

If the city were indeed favoring one developer over another, would that be unreasonable? If their decision was based on the actual developer making the request and not the actual development, would there be anything wrong with that? I'm just asking.

I have faith in the free market system. If and when economic conditions are right, then this building will be converted to apartments or condos. I don't really think now is the time, with lots of other projects bringing units into downtown. But who knows what the next couple of years will be like, maybe there will be such a demand for these units that someone will be able to build them without the incentives they need now. :thumbsup:

I think I can see what others are saying. Perhaps it was not the right time for this project. It is just far enough from downtown and would be like creating a brand new residential district, when the current residential ones have not reached "critical mass" yet. In addition, 400 apartments in 600,000 sf would probably amount to 3 - 4 people per apartment. Those 1200 - 1600 people have to come from somewhere, and we're not quite Phoenix AZ, so the great majority of them would be sucked out of other areas downtown and Heritage Hill. American Seating Park is only now starting to create spinoff developments in the neighborhood around it, such as those that Israel's is doing. Monroe North, although getting there, is still a checkerboard of residential projects.

I think I can see what others are saying. Perhaps it was not the right time for this project. It is just far enough from downtown and would be like creating a brand new residential district, when the current residential ones have not reached "critical mass" yet. In addition, 400 apartments in 600,000 sf would probably amount to 3 - 4 people per apartment. Those 1200 - 1600 people have to come from somewhere, and we're not quite Phoenix AZ, so the great majority of them would be sucked out of other areas downtown and Heritage Hill. American Seating Park is only now starting to create spinoff developments in the neighborhood around it, such as those that Israel's is doing. Monroe North is still a checkerboard of residential projects.

Perhaps it was not the right time for this project. It is just far enough from downtown and would be like creating a brand new residential district, when the current residential ones have not reached "critical mass" yet. In addition, 400 apartments in 600,000 sf would probably amount to 3 - 4 people per apartment. Those 1200 - 1600 people have to come from somewhere, and we're not quite Phoenix AZ, so the great majority of them would be sucked out of other areas downtown and Heritage Hill.

For that area. I'd like to see the building converted to office suites or maybe put back for commercial use. I'm not sure of the square footage of the old funiture factory. But my thoughts are that it would make for a hip and unique looking corporate HQ for a mid to large size company.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe this project will have a second chance for approval? Parkland Properties was planning on investing some $30 Million into the project.

"The city may revise its policy on extending Renaissance Zone status to properties in the city's first zone. And a revision may make the guidelines friendlier to projects that include residential units."

"Economic Development Director Susan Shannon said commissioners should revisit the proposal Rooks submitted."

The complete article was in the Grand Rapids Business Journal:

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...nother+Shot.htm

Archived