Oh the weather outside is...

jencoleslaw

the people at PC decided at 1 to close at 3 (of course we're in the middle of finals). there was alraedy about 3 inches at 1, but they wanted a few more before they closed and everyone ahd to drive home. took me 2.5 hours to get home. i wish i had taken the bus today, i would've just walked home and it would've been faster. there was a bus stuck between valley and academy on atwells, couldn't make it up the hill, and what looked like an accident blocking the other lane. i have never seen this city come to such a standstill because of snow. this was ridiculous. the only plowed streets were the smaller ones. and no one is courteous on the road, everyone wants to block intersections just so they can get 2 feet farther.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took my neighbor 5 hours to get home from Coventry last night. He said 95 had people just leaving their cars and walking for a while. My roomate got stuck on North Main along with many others. Me and my neighbors had a fun night of pushing cars one by one up North Main to Whole Foods. We shoulda started charging!

It took my neighbor 5 hours to get home from Coventry last night. He said 95 had people just leaving their cars and walking for a while. My roomate got stuck on North Main along with many others. Me and my neighbors had a fun night of pushing cars one by one up North Main to Whole Foods. We shoulda started charging!

the people at PC decided at 1 to close at 3 (of course we're in the middle of finals). there was alraedy about 3 inches at 1, but they wanted a few more before they closed and everyone ahd to drive home. took me 2.5 hours to get home. i wish i had taken the bus today, i would've just walked home and it would've been faster. there was a bus stuck between valley and academy on atwells, couldn't make it up the hill, and what looked like an accident blocking the other lane. i have never seen this city come to such a standstill because of snow. this was ridiculous. the only plowed streets were the smaller ones. and no one is courteous on the road, everyone wants to block intersections just so they can get 2 feet farther.

That was the problem. EVERYONE left right around 1:00. Up here in Mass we had people who took 7 or more hours to do what is normally a 45 minute commute. There were a lot of people who never made it home - they ended up making it to a relatives house and stayed there. Needless to say there is a LOT of discussion going on at the state level about this. The general consensus is that people should have started leaving BEFORE the snow started to fall - it was falling to much to fast right at the beginning and the plows could barely keep up without the traffic.

the problem in providence was that the city and state decided they were closing at 3. i heard all the businesses were waiting to hear what the city was gonna do before letting their employees out, and then used that same time. they told us at PC at 1 that we could leave at 3. my fiancee now works at brown and they didn't even officially close, so she stayed until 4:30 and took the bus to north main where it hit traffic and she walked home from there. i left PC at 3 and she got home like 2 min before me.

I took the 2PM train from Boston (which was standing room only all the way to Attleboro), got off at 3:20 and walked to doctor's office on Promenade (which was a parking lot)near Pleasant Valley, walked back to the East Side near Wayland Square and was home by 5:30, including a stop at City Sports to check out parkas. Apparently it never occurred to healthy people who live in the city to just walk home!

For the 41 percent of Rhode Islanders who, when polled about use of mass transit of any kind, said there was absolutely nothing anyone could do to get them out of their cars --- I really wanted to wave a sign saying "NOW would you support a subway system, or at least a dedicated light rail line?"

I wonder how much the city would profit if it enforced sidewalk snow removal as much as red light running.

I walked from my house in the Bucket all the way down Hope St. through Thayer and down to Wickenden this morning. I came back on Brook for that portion. I would say roughly 40% of sidewalks were uncleared. That's completely stupid.

I wonder how much the city would profit if it enforced sidewalk snow removal as much as red light running.

I walked from my house in the Bucket all the way down Hope St. through Thayer and down to Wickenden this morning. I came back on Brook for that portion. I would say roughly 40% of sidewalks were uncleared. That's completely stupid.

• 5 weeks later...

Long time since I've been on here, but thought some of you might get a kick out of this. I was admiring the winter wonderland from my office window and noticed someone had stomped out a crude phallic drawing in the reflecting pool at the Christian Science Center.

Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjk5/2192881191

I thought I had grown out of finding this stuff funny... :P

I got into work this morning (after having yesterday off because of the 3 inches of snow apocalypse) and found that I had 19 (N-I-N-E-T-E-E-N) pages of faxes from RIEMA warning me about the storm and telling me to have bottled water and blankets and flashlights. If the people in this state need RIEMA to tell them how to prepare for a minor amount of snow, then we are all really f*cked.