Charlotte Radio

perrykat

96.1 is a Rhythmic/CHR (Rhythmic Top 40) not an R&B station. I am have a plethora of relatives and friends that works in radio broadcasting. 96.1 the Beat caters to primarily to suburban females (18-34 years old). Power 98, V-101.9, and Q92.7 are Mainstream Urban (97.9), Urban Adult Contemporary (101.9), and Urban Adult Contemporary (92.7), which caters to the black community. Only the later 2 would be considered R&B stations because Power 98 plays primarily hip-hop with some R&B music mixed in.

However, radio in general sucks in most cities. I only like 2 radio stations in the entire country: WPGC-FM Washington, DC and V-103 Atlanta, both are owned by CBS.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan of Charlotte radio, at least not anymore. For me it's mostly WDAV or WFAE these days...or my own CDs in the car. The sound of anything resembling rap or hip-hop makes my teeth hurt and offends my ears, and I'm not a fan of most country music or the fact that local country stations refuse to play my girls, The Dixie Chicks! When they're not playing Christmas music over a month too early, 102.9 and 104.7 are decent.

I agree that 96 WAVE in Charleston is a great rock station! Too bad we can't get it in Charlotte.

****For Hip Hop Heads*********

I can't figure out Charlotte radio, even the R&B/Hip-Hop. 96.1 is definitely not Hip-Hop and 97.9 seems Jekyl and Hyde with all of the talking and commercials (better than they used to be). Q92 (used to broadcast Russ Parr) in Charlotte was a notch above 97.9 in R&B HipHop sound variety b/f the conversion.

I think Charlotte radio is horrible. All the stations.

CD's or 89.9 classical, that is all i can listen to in my car.

I do like 93.3 out of wherever. Atlanta also has a great rock station that DOES play a real mix of older and newer alternative and they seem to really choose songs rather than have corporate tell them what to play. Wish I knew what station it was -- we need one, but everytime I'm there I just search for it and leave it on -- then forget what it is!

We need college radio -- do UNCC or any of the local universities have radio? Otherwise we are really just a collection of corporate junk -- all geared towards whoever is about to release a song or is coming in concert regardless of whether they are good or not.

Like Neo, I've given up on local radio. However, I do leave my alarm clock on Mix 106. It's not really my style of music, but it's nice to wake up to, and climb out of bed when you're ready.

95.7 "should" be my station for the demographic group I'm in. But unfortunately -- I've heard that 70s rock way, way too long. After growing up with it, it just makes me cringe now, to hear The Doobie Bros. or Led Zeppelin.

Seriously! The patheticness of Charlotte radio, is what finally drove me to start collecting CDs.

To be quite honest, all of the "corporate" radio stations in Charlotte suck. Like most, when I do listen to any radio, it is NPR.

I have given up on "terresterial" radio for almost two years now. It is all about the satellite radio. Being a music lover, I would NEVER hear some of the spectacular artists that I am now hooked on if I were still listening to the likes of Clear Channel, Infinity or Jefferson Pilot (now Lincoln Financial - what a joke)!!

I do have to admit I was a Matt & Ramona junkie in the early days! HAHA The other extremely irritating thing about pretty much all of the radio stations was the completely inane commercials that would be played incessantly during every break.

Having worked in the advertising industry, I would NEVER put my name to any of the junk that is parading around as commercials today. How embarrasing! I guess I could now direct everyone to the thread of the most annoying car commercials in Charlotte.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend Sirius or XM. There is just TOO much to choose from in terms of musical styles and tastes - and as mentioned in someone elses post - NO COMMERCIALS!

Happy listening!

****For Hip Hop Heads*********

For R&B & Hip-Hop, 102 JAMZ in Greensboro is one of the better stations (No gospel on Sunday, not that gospel is bad thing). The signal fades near the Kannapolis/Concord area traveling towards Charlotte. That's one of the benefits of living in Durham, as I get Greensboro stations. Atlanta, I listen to 107.9. V103 (Atlanta), 97.5 (Raleigh), 95.5,93.9(DC), 92(Richmond) are rather similar. The new 98 in Greenville/Spartanburg seems similar to 96 the Beat in Charlotte. I enjoy the Russ Parr Morning Show (97.5 Raleigh, 92 Richmond, 95.5 DC).

I can't figure out Charlotte radio, even the R&B/Hip-Hop. 96.1 is definitely not Hip-Hop and 97.9 seems Jekyl and Hyde with all of the talking and commercials (better than they used to be). Q92 (used to broadcast Russ Parr) in Charlotte was a notch above 97.9 in R&B HipHop sound variety b/f the conversion.

Althought not perfect, I wish more R&B/HipHop stations used 102 JAMZ in Greensboro's format. In the late 80's and early 90's, it was one the few stations in the South that actually played Hip-Hop with evening/nightly mixes (Remember, Hip Hop was a Bo-Wash/LA thing back then). During lunch (as some other stations do now), they have the 20 minute workout with Class HipHop mixes (Run DMC, etc.). Another solid station is Foxy 99 in Fayettenam.

• 2 weeks later...

On another forum that I occasionally venture too, they were also talking about the state of radio in Charlotte. People posted "dream list" of changes they would make to the radio to make it less bland and more attractive. I thought this would be interesting since we are on the topic of Charlotte radio. What changes would you make?

Here is my list for Charlotte.... I included High Definition (HD) radio list as well, which allows users to here multicast on one station... (like a person could listen to Pop on 95.1 and Dance on the secondary HD2 channel of 95.1), allowing more formats on the limited radio band. :D

FM

88.9 - Jazz

89.9 - Classical (HD2 Modern Classical)

90.7 - NPR News/Talk (HD2 Unsigned/Independent Rock)

91.7 - Contemporary Christian (simulcast of 91.9)

91.9 - Contemporary Christian

92.7 - Urban (Russ Parr Morning Show) (HD2 Rhythmic Oldies)

94.1 - Oldies (HD2 60s and 70s)

95.1 - CHR Pop (HD2 CHR Dance)

95.7 - Smooth Jazz (HD2 Chill; HD3 Blues)

96.1 - Rhythmic CHR (HD2 90s CHR)

96.9 - Country (HD2 Classic Country)

97.9 - Urban (HD2 Classic Hip-hop)

99.7 - Classic Rock (HD2 Acoustic Rock)

100.9 - Black Gospel

101.9 - Urban Adult Contemporary (Steve Harvey Morning Show) (HD2 Neo Soul)

102.9 - Adult Contemporary (HD2 New Age; HD3 Love Songs)

103.7 - Country (HD2 Bluegrass)

104.7 - Hot AC (HD2 90s Hits; HD3 80s Hits)

105.3 - Regional Mexican (HD2 Reggaeton) (HD3 Latin Hits)

106.1 - Adult Hits

106.5 - Modern Rock (HD2 Alternative; HD3 Ambient/Industrial)

106.9 - Christian Rock (although I know this would probably never happen)

107.9 - new WBT News (strickly news like WTOP w/ traffic/weather) (HD2 Talk, w/ focus on local issues)

AM

610 - Sports (ESPN affiliate)

930 - Sports (FOX Sports affiliate)

1030 - Spanish Hits

1110 - Talk

1240 - Christian Talk

1310 - Urban Talk

1370 - Spanish News/Talk

1480 - Spanish Sports (ESPN Deportes affiliate)

1540 - Adult Standards

1660 - Talk (Opie & Anthony, Don & Mike, etc.)

Actually, 97.9 aka Power 98's sister station, WPGC 95.5, actually does do like that (both are owned by CBS). WPGC 95.5 used to be a Rhythmic/CHR called 95 Jams until BET's Donnie Simpson became the morning guy there then it eventually transitioned to be the Mainstream Urban as it is today. However, they still use the Rhythmic/CHR format for sales and advertising billing purposes, so it is one of the top profiting radio stations in the US with it making $33M in 2005. They are the epitome of what is left of good urban radio playing hip-hop and R&B music from today and yesterday all day long, and they do slow down after 10PM (Eastern) with their R&B slow jams show like Urban radio stations used to do before media consolidation. They will trip you out by playing an old school Marvin Gaye song then play a Chris Brown or Lil Wayne song right after it. WPGC also doesn't play gospel on Sunday morning either, but they do old school mixing during at noon.

Archived