IN PROGRESS: Wadsworth Atheneum Expansion

spatulashack

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. That front wall at street level is horrible on such a beautiful building. The mosaics are priceless. And the huge marble pillars were taken from a demolition in NYC. I can't remember where though..

I am very happy with this project and never liked the Atheneum's prior vacuum-cleaner-spaceship design makeover for their main building. I'm now waiting for the day the city donates City Hall to the Atheneum and builds a new much larger modern facility downtown. The Atheneum severely needs more space. Most of their art is in storage or on loan! What you see in the museum is only a small portion of their permanent collection. They could house their entire Modern Art or American Art collections in City Hall and open an entirely new but very important museum.

How come the place is not open on Monday and Tuesday? This is one of the crowning jewels of the city, and it can't attract enough people to open 7 days a week? Maybe it's the bad weather outside, but this is depressing.

I'm not exactly sure but even the MET is closed on Mondays...

The people who hang out in front of the Atheneum need to have more respect for property. The graffiti scrawled on the steps and the littering is terrible.

I agree. However that's not gonna happen. They are punk high school kids. I used to stand in that same spot in high school and may have thrown a piece of litter or 2 in my younger days. I never tagged anything though.

I agree. However that's not gonna happen. They are punk high school kids. I used to stand in that same spot in high school and may have thrown a piece of litter or 2 in my younger days. I never tagged anything though.

That's pretty sad. At least make up for it and volunteer on a cleaning project or something, than trying to justify it by saying "they're punk kids" and they will never be rid of, because sure they will.

That's pretty sad. At least make up for it and volunteer on a cleaning project or something, than trying to justify it by saying "they're punk kids" and they will never be rid of, because sure they will.

I really don't understand what you're saying. I'm not perfect and I just admitted that when I was 13 or 14 I did not have the same level of respect for things that I have now. I've grown up. Are you telling me to volunteer? I've done a lot of volunteer work in this city for years, even as an immature kid and it continues to this day as a young adult. I do honestly have a problem with people that think you can just move people out of the way because you don't value them. They will not be rid of and should not be rid of. They are Hartford's kids and maybe they will learn not to litter and tag one day, maybe they won't. Maybe you should volunteer in the community and try to help them instead of just wishing they would be moved out of your way. And if you already are active in the community and reaching young people, then good work and keep doing what you are doing!

I really don't understand what you're saying. I'm not perfect and I just admitted that when I was 13 or 14 I did not have the same level of respect for things that I have now. I've grown up. Are you telling me to volunteer? I've done a lot of volunteer work in this city for years, even as an immature kid and it continues to this day as a young adult. I do honestly have a problem with people that think you can just move people out of the way because you don't value them. They will not be rid of and should not be rid of. They are Hartford's kids and maybe they will learn not to litter and tag one day, maybe they won't. Maybe you should volunteer in the community and try to help them instead of just wishing they would be moved out of your way. And if you already are active in the community and reaching young people, then good work and keep doing what you are doing!

It's not the face that you did that, it's just that I disagree that it should justified by saying they're punk kids, or kids will be kids, etc. It should just be said that it's wrong, and not 'when i was their age i did it too'. And yes, they should be rid of. That type of behavior wouldn't be tolerated in front of the Louve, the Met, the Uffizzi, and neither should it in front of the Wadsworth. For now, unfortunately, neither the museum nor the city have the resources to combat it.

It's not the face that you did that, it's just that I disagree that it should justified by saying they're punk kids, or kids will be kids, etc. It should just be said that it's wrong, and not 'when i was their age i did it too'. And yes, they should be rid of. That type of behavior wouldn't be tolerated in front of the Louve, the Met, the Uffizzi, and neither should it in front of the Wadsworth. For now, unfortunately, neither the museum nor the city have the resources to combat it.

OK, I can't argue with you that it's wrong. That's a fact. And if kids can't respect the property they should be asked to move. However, that would not give anyone the right to just chase kids away from certain areas just for being kids and goofing off.

When I was a kid in Enfield, the cops chased us away form business fronts all the time. The law is called loitering. And I agree there is no excuse for tagging. It should be punished severely enough to discourage it.

There's a bus stop there. That's why the kids stand there. Maybe it should be moved. I don't know.

I knew the previous finance director at The Wadsworth. She told me the Wadsworth is constantly being sued by people who wait at that bus stop for everything from tripping on the sidewalk, to slipping on ice to falling off one of the steps. Most cases get nowhere because they "hurt" themselves on city property - not Wadsworth property.

• 3 years later...

So, on Saturday I noticed a huge crane parked over the Wadsworth.

Not a true tower crane, but of the same basic design. its bright red, and large enough to really stand out. I kind of drove by the buildings on Sat, and saw construction fence all around the museum, so thy are clearly doing some renovations, but not sure exactly what?

I saw the crane again this Am, and it reminded me I needed to post it here so you guys can inform me as to what happening there.

Archived