Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dimebag1980

Sci-Port

21 posts in this topic

Very nice. That's something for SBC to really be proud of.

Thanks for the reply, Richy. It's definitely something to be proud of. Since its beginning a few years ago, Sci-Port has been a hub for school field trips. I've seen so many school buses from as far away as the Monroe area parked at the center during weekdays. In addition, it's important for local children to have such a center nearby rather than having to visit sciense museums in larger cities like Dallas. This space center expansion truly propels Sci-Port into a whole new category, and will undoubtedly help to continue the center's success.

I took my son this week when we visited. It was awesome! We were planning on going just for the morning before we met friends for lunch, but ended up going back again in the afternoon! We could have stayed for a couple of more hours at least! What a great place!

I took my son this week when we visited. It was awesome! We were planning on going just for the morning before we met friends for lunch, but ended up going back again in the afternoon! We could have stayed for a couple of more hours at least! What a great place!

Can anyone who has checked out all the exhibits at Sci-Port tell me just what is going on in this photo? :lol:

331559527ZKYRqf_th.jpg

It's always been nice, but the space center is supposedly VERY impressive. I have yet to go inside the new space center, but I'd like to check it out. They also have a rooftop observatory which they say gives great panoramic views of downtown and the Red River/Louisiana Boardwalk areas. Nice!

I'm glad you and your family enjoyed Sci-Port. Was this place in existance at all before you moved away?

I thought that it had, but when I visited (and their website) states that it opened in 1998 in its current location. For some reason, I thought there had been a previous location (very small) on Spring Street when I still lived in town. (I moved to south Louisiana in 1992 after graduating from Tech.)

The best thing about Sci-Port is that it is even a learning experience for older kids (and adults).

I will say that I (and another visitor) noticed some open areas where, hopefully, they will add more exhibits. I guess they are planning ahead with room for expansion.

My son's favorite part was an area where you make a paper airplane and fly it. You send it through a machine that shoots it through the air where you attempt to make it through some hoops of different levels. My husband enjoyed the simulator where you try to land the space shuttle.

I will have to check this out the next time I'm in SBC.

Must have been one nice offer from Tampa!

Najjar was a visionary, and did wonders for Sci-Port. I hope his replacement is just as good, if not better.

I thought of Brian when I just saw a new Sci-Port billboard not far from the house. Along I-12 near Sherwood Forest Blvd. in Baton Rouge... It looked really cool too. Getting a pic might be difficult; I'll see what I can do.

I thought of Brian when I just saw a new Sci-Port billboard not far from the house. Along I-12 near Sherwood Forest Blvd. in Baton Rouge... It looked really cool too. Getting a pic might be difficult; I'll see what I can do.

Since my visit in November, I've told several people about SciPort. I plan on bringing my son back later this year on one of our visits. The thing I like best about it is that it goes beyond junior high level unlike some other children's museums. I think it's a place we will enjoy for years to come. (Plus I love the views from the windows inside!!!)

The in-flight magazine "Continental" for Continental Airlines has a "Go-Explore" blurb this month (Dec 2006) featuring the Sci-Port Space Center in Shreveport. Every month they feature interesting places in cities around the world for travelers:

334565736_cf9f70771e_b.jpg

334565737_7118b73bdb_b.jpg

The in-flight magazine "Continental" for Continental Airlines has a "Go-Explore" blurb this month (Dec 2006) featuring the Sci-Port Space Center in Shreveport. Every month they feature interesting places in cities around the world for travelers:

334565736_cf9f70771e_b.jpg

334565737_7118b73bdb_b.jpg

:camera:

From way down in Baton Rouge!

The nice Sci-Port Space Center billboard

*I-12 (westbound) near So. Sherwood Forest Blvd.

more025az8.jpg

I hope this pic came out O.K. enough? I quickly pulled off the Interstate.