Sci-Port

dimebag1980

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply, Richy. It's definitely something to be proud of. Since its beginning a few years ago, Sci-Port has been a hub for school field trips. I've seen so many school buses from as far away as the Monroe area parked at the center during weekdays. In addition, it's important for local children to have such a center nearby rather than having to visit sciense museums in larger cities like Dallas. This space center expansion truly propels Sci-Port into a whole new category, and will undoubtedly help to continue the center's success.

• 2 weeks later...
It's always been nice, but the space center is supposedly VERY impressive. I have yet to go inside the new space center, but I'd like to check it out. They also have a rooftop observatory which they say gives great panoramic views of downtown and the Red River/Louisiana Boardwalk areas. Nice!

I'm glad you and your family enjoyed Sci-Port. Was this place in existance at all before you moved away?

I thought that it had, but when I visited (and their website) states that it opened in 1998 in its current location. For some reason, I thought there had been a previous location (very small) on Spring Street when I still lived in town. (I moved to south Louisiana in 1992 after graduating from Tech.)

The best thing about Sci-Port is that it is even a learning experience for older kids (and adults).

I will say that I (and another visitor) noticed some open areas where, hopefully, they will add more exhibits. I guess they are planning ahead with room for expansion.

My son's favorite part was an area where you make a paper airplane and fly it. You send it through a machine that shoots it through the air where you attempt to make it through some hoops of different levels. My husband enjoyed the simulator where you try to land the space shuttle.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my visit in November, I've told several people about SciPort. I plan on bringing my son back later this year on one of our visits. The thing I like best about it is that it goes beyond junior high level unlike some other children's museums. I think it's a place we will enjoy for years to come. (Plus I love the views from the windows inside!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived