21 members have voted

1. 1. Which candidate has the best vision for Nashville

• David Briley
    • Bob Clement
    • Buck Dozier
    • Howard Gentry
    • Dave Pelton
    • Other

Try to stick with the urban issues here and not turn it into a political debate and please do not slam any of the candidates just because you dont like the person. I am trying to get an idea of what we think of these candidates as it relates to the urban environment and the future of the downtown area. Consider issues such as mass transit, growth of the population of Nashville, tourism, homelessness, etc.

If there is another candidate, let us know who you would like to see run.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't know most of them. So I didn't vote.

I know a little about Clement and I have met Briley several times. I am totally unimpressed by Briley. He is full of platitudes and has never made an original proposals (as far as I know). He has gotten this far solely on his family name and friends in the local NSH media. I found it ironic that he called for "bold" leadership. I guess even he thinks somebody else should be mayor.

Do any of the candidates take a stand on limiting the role of government in urban development? There is the convention center, of course. More subtle, but just as intrusive is the large role public housing plays. I would vote for any candidate who subjects any government development to three questions:

1. Is there a compelling reason that government must provide this service rather than private industry?

2. How much does it benefit people?

3. What does it cost?

The convention center fails question #1 since there is already a privately run convention center at opry mills. My guess is that public housing fares poorly in answering questions 2 and 3, especially if you include the lost development opportunities as a cost. This isn't about always being against government, but simply wanting the most bang for the buck. My guess is that a dollar spent on Head Start results in better jobs and fewer crimes than a dollar spent on public housing. (For some reason, affordable housing advocates seem to have no interest in measuring costs and benefits.) For an article from the City Journal on the effect of public housing on urban development, see: http://daily.nysun.com/Repository/getFiles...&ID=Ar00700

• 1 month later...
Do any of the candidates take a stand on limiting the role of government in urban development? There is the convention center, of course. More subtle, but just as intrusive is the large role public housing plays. I would vote for any candidate who subjects any government development to three questions:

1. Is there a compelling reason that government must provide this service rather than private industry?

2. How much does it benefit people?

3. What does it cost?

The convention center fails question #1 since there is already a privately run convention center at opry mills. My guess is that public housing fares poorly in answering questions 2 and 3, especially if you include the lost development opportunities as a cost. This isn't about always being against government, but simply wanting the most bang for the buck. My guess is that a dollar spent on Head Start results in better jobs and fewer crimes than a dollar spent on public housing. (For some reason, affordable housing advocates seem to have no interest in measuring costs and benefits.) For an article from the City Journal on the effect of public housing on urban development, see:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived