mexican protestors storm local walmart

tony speller

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I (briefly) looked at the Minnesota Basic Speed Law. There is a section that deals with drivers driving at a cautious speed and keeping a proper look-out for any hazards (which I would assume includes pedestrians). It does not, however, imply that under all circumstances, a driver must be found at fault if his/her vehicle strikes pedestrian. Though I would imagine in most cases, the driver is at fault.

Anyway, Walmart still sucks and I'm not too upset about what happened in Mexico.

Here's the Minnesota law.

Subd. 3. Crossing between intersections. (a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or at an intersection with no marked crosswalk shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(b) Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

Between adjacent intersections at which traffic-control signals are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

(d) Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section every driver of a vehicle shall (1) exercise due care to avoid colliding with any bicycle or pedestrian upon any roadway and (2) give an audible signal when necessary and exercise proper precaution upon observing any child or any obviously confused or incapacitated person upon a roadway.

Section D would automatically make it the driver's fault if the pedestrian was struck in the roadway. If, however, the driver swerved to avoid the pedestrian and sustained damage to the vehicle, the pedestrian would probably be responsible for that.

^ Thanks for the info. In regard to that though, there are some circumstances where a pedestrian could be acting in a careless and negligent manner, and the driver is operating the vehicle in a safe and prudent manner, then the burden shifts the pedestrian. I"m only saying that a blanket statement automatically convicting the driver under every circumstance is dangerous given the many variables that come into play in any accident. I'm not doubting that such a law exists. I'm just arguing that it's bad law.

Subsection D relies upon the driver not exercising "due care" in order to make the previous subsections moot. If the driver is thus maintaing "due care" and the pedestrian is acting in total disregard for the law, then that would be negligence per se on the part of the pedestrian.

Walmart still sucks.

Here's the Minnesota law.

Subd. 3. Crossing between intersections. (a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or at an intersection with no marked crosswalk shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(b) Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

I don't know. I hate Walmart, but for some reason give Target a pass. I'm not sure if that's me just being a snob or simply not having a Walmart in my area, but a Target. Either way, Walmart sucks. And I do sympathize with those people.

I say this though: When Mexico dives into Civil War or takes a huge step to the left (and becomes even more anti-USA) you'll have Walmart and the like to thank.

True.

Always crowded (except, like you said, at 3 a.m.) with kids, morbidly obese people, and the rest of the general population. Nobody who works there knows a damn thing about anything sold there, always long lines, nobody's ever available at the paint, photo or fabric counters, and they sell GARBAGE.

And on top of that, they're the largest retailer in the WORLD and they pay their employees so little (and keep their health plans so expensive), they often qualify for Medicare.

Anyone else seen the Robert Greenwald film, "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price"? It's really a must-see.

I never blame the people working there for not knowing what they're selling, because people get shuffled around like crazy... and they're making $7/hr. Wal-Mart has been shown to be a very stressful job.. and is by no means worth the measly $7/hr that they pay. Most people get jobs at Wal-Mart because they're desparate for a job and Wal-Mart is often the only place hiring (thanks largely.. to Wal-mart coming into town).

i've never been in a walmart and gone through the line quickly... even during the holiday period, i've never seen more than 5-7 of the 20 registers open.

now target, on the other hand, always has at least half of them open and i'm through the checkout in no time, even during holiday times.

Archived