Where to live around Lansing?

USA11B

Hopefully relocating to MI soon. Looking at some of the smaller villages/towns around Lansing as a possibility. I've also posted in the GR forum as that's probably tops on our list of places right now (please don't flame me), along w/Lansing and Midland & Frankenmuth. I grew up in E.L. Would love to move back there, but don't think it would be best to raise our kids there. Just looking for any opinions of any of the surrounding areas of Lansing, I know a little from visiting them every now and then growing up and meeting a few people here and there but don't really have any idea of what they're like as far as living, buying a house, raising a family, etc. Plus the area has changed so much in the many years since I lived there...

Specifically looking at Fowler, Vermontville/Maple Valley, Olivet, Eaton Rapids, Marshall, Lake Odessa, Sunfield, St.Johns, Portland, Middleton/Fulton and Hastings...For some of the more suburban/close to Lansing areas, DeWitt, Grand Ledge, Okemos, and Haslett.

Price range tops probably about 200k. Now I know from growing up in E.L. there is a real sense of elitism. If you're not from the right neighborhood then you will have a hard time fitting in and considered trash or whatever. Like 180k in EL gets you in one of the neighborhoods all the kids will get harrassed for living in, while I imagine say Sunfield you wouldn't have that problem. Kinda want to avoid any areas like that, I'm assuming Okemos is a lot like this, and not sure about any of the other areas. Just looking for any feedback from anybody that has more knowledge of any of these areas. We're only going to have a couple days to look up there, so need to narrow things down a bit. Also have kids, and they are fairly big into sports. Wouldn't mind being able to get some property w/the house also, but that isn't a requirement.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly reccomend Portland. I have a bunch of family there, and there is not really anything bad that can be said about it. It's a great small town with good schools both public and private as well as some great local businesses. The neighborhoods are close knit, but not intrusive. Also the riverfront and parks are awesome for a town of it's size. The convenience to the city is also great. 15 minutes to Lansing and 30 minute to Grand Rapids.

I would suggest Grand Ledge, but west-lansing sprawl has pretty much taken over this once quaint town. Haslett and Okemos are pretty much just expentions of East Lansing.

I highly reccomend Portland. I have a bunch of family there, and there is not really anything bad that can be said about it. It's a great small town with good schools both public and private as well as some great local businesses. The neighborhoods are close knit, but not intrusive. Also the riverfront and parks are awesome for a town of it's size. The convenience to the city is also great. 15 minutes to Lansing and 30 minute to Grand Rapids.

I would suggest Grand Ledge, but west-lansing sprawl has pretty much taken over this once quaint town. Haslett and Okemos are pretty much just expentions of East Lansing.

Okemos is very much a snobby elitist subburb, not so much Haslett, and even less so EL. I know EL schools are highly regarded for performance and atmosphere (very high quality education with good diversity). Waverly/Grand Ledge is lower priced with moderate schools, but Waverly is in a slight decline. Holt is where I currently live, it's building up fast and you could get a very impressive house for $200k, they have very good schools also (just built a $65 million High School). I don't really have any knowledge of the further outlying areas. Overall, I would strongly reccomend Holt, it's a great value with good schools and it is on the upswing. It's not at all snobby, as most of the people here are former Lansing residents who work for GM or the state, many have high-paying blue collar jobs.

Lmich what does "urban progressivism" have to do with being elitist or snobby? Most "urban" minded people I thought were liberal and accepting of others (opposite of snobby), besides the east metro is heavily suburbanized, people in Okemos, Haslett and EL have fought tooth and nail to stop more dense urban (or non-urban) developments, especially further back. If being snobby or elitist has anything to do with being "urban" minded I guess I'll have to reclassify myself.

I take it you're not a fan of urban progressivism, then? I only ask because you blanketedly label all of the east metro of Lansing as elitist and snobby. If this isn't your type of thing I think every conservative small town you listed would suit your tastes, well.

Okemos is very much a snobby elitist subburb, not so much Haslett, and even less so EL. I know EL schools are highly regarded for performance and atmosphere (very high quality education with good diversity). Waverly/Grand Ledge is lower priced with moderate schools, but Waverly is in a slight decline. Holt is where I currently live, it's building up fast and you could get a very impressive house for $200k, they have very good schools also (just built a $65 million High School). I don't really have any knowledge of the further outlying areas. Overall, I would strongly reccomend Holt, it's a great value with good schools and it is on the upswing. It's not at all snobby, as most of the people here are former Lansing residents who work for GM or the state, many have high-paying blue collar jobs.

Lmich what does "urban progressivism" have to do with being elitist or snobby? Most "urban" minded people I thought were liberal and accepting of others (opposite of snobby), besides the east metro is heavily suburbanized, people in Okemos, Haslett and EL have fought tooth and nail to stop more dense urban (or non-urban) developments, especially further back. If being snobby or elitist has anything to do with being "urban" minded I guess I'll have to reclassify myself.

Growing up Southwest of Lansing and going to Holt Schools, I would say it's predominantly blue-collar and not snobby at all, even with all the growth it has had. I too used to think of Okemos as snobby, until I moved away from Lansing. Okemos now just seems like any other standard suburb. And due to anti-growth movements in the late 80s' early 90's in Okemos, I hear lately from family in Lansing that it is stagnating, with more people choosing Haslett and Holt instead.

I know Dewitt is growing pretty rapidly, but getting expensive. LMichigan is right though, any of those small outlying towns you'll pretty much find the same thing.

You heard right. Merdian Township (as a whole) has barely grown since 1990 and may currently be declining in population because of their strict anti-growth attitude. I can understand a fast growing city doing something like this, but Meridian Township doesn't have that convenience and they are now suffering for that. In fact, they've had to close elementary schools because they continue to fight almost allf developers looking to put housing in the area. And, you're right, Okemos' anti-growth attitude is pushing development into Haslett, which has been more than willing to take it. The sad thing is that Okemos isn't so much smart growth as it is no growth.

The new "hot" suburban area is formerly rural Bath Township (directly north of East Lansing), which is just sprawling like crazy. And, everything north, west, and south of Lansing is growing at a healthy clip, as well. Surprisingly, the area defined by the Census as "Holt" has actually stagnanted according to the census. In fact, over the 90's it showed Delhi's central area losing about 400 person, though the because of Schools of Choice and the fast growth outside of Holt in the township, the school district is bursting at the seams.

Delhi Twp is growing a lot, and there are plenty more developments on the table, both to the East, near Aurelius and 127, to the West, by the high school and as far as Waverly, and to the South a little, beginning to close the gap towards Mason.

And when I say Okemos is snobby it is meant to be in contrast to the Lansing area, not at all comparing it to parts of the East or West coasts or anything like that.

• 1 month later...

Ok update. Had a chance to visit Lansing and look around, also given a more definite idea from work where we need to locate, Lansing, Flint, Battle Creek, or Howell/Brighton areas.

Lansing area, we really like Okemos, Haslett, St. Johns, DeWitt, and Williamston.

Any opinions or experiences w/these areas? I know Okemos and Haslett fairly well, but these areas and the others have changed so much since I last lived here I'm not even sure if they're even at all like I remember. I've heard, Okemos is changing a lot, lots of muslims are locating there? DeWitt is becoming mega-sprawl wannabe Okemos burb? St. Johns is growing, Williamston is growing like crazy but its been managed/controlled growth? Haslett I always thought was kinda dumpy and trashy, but since looking there real estate seems fairly high and the schools are top rated...Any opinions/experience w/these areas???

Haslett has become sort of one in the same with Okemos, man high ende neighborhoods from the 200's up, with top notch schools to boot. I had not heard anything about Okemos having an influx of Muslims or anything, but I suppose it may be possible. DeWitt is gowing, but development seems scattered and incoherent, new subdivisions are dotted throughout farmland, I really don't know what to make of it. I know almost nothing about williamson or St Johns. Just out of curiosity, did you visit Holt, especially the new areas to east and west, or to EL's northern tier? If you didn't you should definately check them out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully relocating to MI soon. Looking at some of the smaller villages/towns around Lansing as a possibility. I've also posted in the GR forum as that's probably tops on our list of places right now (please don't flame me), along w/Lansing and Midland & Frankenmuth. I grew up in E.L. Would love to move back there, but don't think it would be best to raise our kids there. Just looking for any opinions of any of the surrounding areas of Lansing, I know a little from visiting them every now and then growing up and meeting a few people here and there but don't really have any idea of what they're like as far as living, buying a house, raising a family, etc. Plus the area has changed so much in the many years since I lived there...

Specifically looking at Fowler, Vermontville/Maple Valley, Olivet, Eaton Rapids, Marshall, Lake Odessa, Sunfield, St.Johns, Portland, Middleton/Fulton and Hastings...For some of the more suburban/close to Lansing areas, DeWitt, Grand Ledge, Okemos, and Haslett.

Price range tops probably about 200k. Now I know from growing up in E.L. there is a real sense of elitism. If you're not from the right neighborhood then you will have a hard time fitting in and considered trash or whatever. Like 180k in EL gets you in one of the neighborhoods all the kids will get harrassed for living in, while I imagine say Sunfield you wouldn't have that problem. Kinda want to avoid any areas like that, I'm assuming Okemos is a lot like this, and not sure about any of the other areas. Just looking for any feedback from anybody that has more knowledge of any of these areas. We're only going to have a couple days to look up there, so need to narrow things down a bit. Also have kids, and they are fairly big into sports. Wouldn't mind being able to get some property w/the house also, but that isn't a requirement.

I would have a hard time reccomending Lansing schools over others, especially Eastern. I went to Lansing schools my entire life, Cavanaugh to Gardener to Everett (just graduated las June.) While I enjoyed Lansing schools it was for all the wrong reasons, the fights, the drama, the apathy of staff and students. The only reason I escaped the fate of all my friends is because my overbearing parents. All the people I grew up with dropped out, most never making it past 9th grade, and thats not uncommon Lansing's graduation rate is below 50%. I will say however that if you area very proactive parent, who lets their kid be themselves and allows some freedom while still making them do good in school and stay out trouble Lansing's schools CAN be greatly benificial.

Well, Lansing magnets offer some impressive programs, now, that can't be found anywhere in the area, and is particularly good in the elementary sector. But, Hood is right, you have to make LSD work for you if you're going to try it. Still, it's one of the better (and better preforming) of the urban school districts, but you have to be ready for the problems urban school districts face that suburban ones don't.

When I have visited the area in recent years, I have been impressed with the rolling mix of woods and pastures in Bath Twp., and I like the looks of Laingsburg, but my preference would be Lansing or East Lansing. However, my kids are young adults now, and schools would not be an issue for me.

• 1 month later...

We are a young couple moving to Lansing this summer from Berkeley, CA. My fiance will be starting out as an assistant professor at MSU. We're hoping to live in either East Lansing or Lansing, and we're interested in recommendations for new developments and walkable urban neighborhoods. We're not particularly concerned about schools-- our priorities would be more along the lines of nearby restaurants and cafes, retail, and walking trails.

If your interested in downtown living Lansing is quickly improving, with more and more businesses, especcially bars and resturaunts. Also for a new development theres the Beaumont in East Lansing, The Beaumont. Other than that check out the various older neighborhoods in Lansing/East Lansing.

Sounds like the areas of East Lansing between Abbott and Harrison in East Lansing would be up your alley. There is a series of large parks and walking trails in that area. It is also close to downtown East Lansing and MSU.

Don't rule ot the neighborhoods flanking Grand River West of Harrison. Some of the streets will make you lonely for Berkeley. (I've lived in East Lansing and Berkeley, and I love them both. Ann Arbor is an extra bonus just an hour away.)

• 1 year later...

Archived