Millennium Park Development Updates

GRDadof3

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be a very cool idea to have some sort of transit from millenium park to downtown. This would be great so the concert goers could patronize the downtown business and the city dwellers could easily get to the park for both the concerts and just to get back to nature.

I think it would be a very cool idea to have some sort of transit from millenium park to downtown. This would be great so the concert goers could patronize the downtown business and the city dwellers could easily get to the park for both the concerts and just to get back to nature.

I agree. It would be nice to have some sort of transit system to incorporate a lot of the local attractions in the area (John Ball Zoo/Millenium Park, 5/3 Ball Park for WhiteCap Games and the Frederick Meijer Gardens).

Reading the article, it sounds like they are targetting the area between I-196 and the sand/gypsum mines. That would be where the Georgia Pacific plant was torn down?

That would be in the general area of both old plants. GP-West was the original GP plant down from the Domtar plant they bought out later on. You can still see part of the warehouse for the Domtar plant (GP-East) just passed Lk Michigan drive on the bike path there. GP-West was located just down Butterworth passed the bend in the road a bit.

That's a little ways east-northest of the park proper though, isn't it? Like a mile and half or so? I know they own all the land south of Butterworth up to O'Brien, but what are the expansion plans? If I'd build an amphitheater, I'd want it as close to the park proper as possible.

I heard they used have a mountain of scrap drywall stacked there. Like 100 ft high at one point. They'd keep the EPA of their backs by pulling a sheet off now and then and claim the pile was a recycling scrap pile.

Wonder what happened to that pile...

Here's a master plan for the park, where would it fit?

http://www.millennium-park.org/about/master_1.htm

That would be in the general area of both old plants. GP-West was the original GP plant down from the Domtar plant they bought out later on. You can still see part of the warehouse for the Domtar plant (GP-East) just passed Lk Michigan drive on the bike path there. GP-West was located just down Butterworth passed the bend in the road a bit.

That's a little ways east-northest of the park though, isn't it? Like a mile and a half or so?

I heard they used have a mountain of scrap drywall stacked there. Like 100 ft high at one point. They'd keep the EPA of their backs by pulling a sheet off now and then and claim the pile was a recycling scrap pile.

Wonder what happened to that pile...

Boy, you do know gypsum. :D

Actually, the Master Plan for Millennium Park stretches all the way to 196 and Butterworth

masterplan_lg.jpg

I'm not sure how much land the County now owns though. I always thought that area was a planned "Kids Town"

kidstown_lg.jpg

This map is re-oriented with North to your left.<<

Thanks! I wonder, if they do put in an amphitheater in that area, if they'll add an exit ramp off of 196 at Butterworth (or maybe add a new exit ramp). There's no good way to move traffic for a 5 - 10,000 seat amphitheater in that area currently. It would be cool to see a big marquee at the freeway with "Meijer or Gainey Amphitheater at Millenium Park" (for instance) on it. :shades:

Thanks! I wonder, if they do put in an amphitheater in that area, if they'll add an exit ramp off of 196 at Butterworth (or maybe add a new exit ramp). There's no good way to move traffic for a 5 - 10,000 seat amphitheater in that area currently. It would be cool to see a big marquee at the freeway with "Meijer or Gainey Amphitheater at Millenium Park" (for instance) on it. :shades:

From the amphitheatres I've been to, traffic and parking don't seem to be of anyone's concern. :P

From the amphitheatres I've been to, traffic and parking don't seem to be of anyone's concern. :P

That's true. I haven't been to Pine Knob (DTE) in over 10 years, but I do remember waiting in the long lines of cars through a bunch of country back roads. :P Great place to see a concert! I remember (vaguely) seeing Depeche Mode, New Order, NIN, The Smiths and a few other random concerts there. I'm showing my age.

I doubt you'd see Meijer putting their name on another amphitheater. It would just cause confusion.

Maybe Secchia or Universal Forest Products would donate the cash and name it "The Universal Music Center." Secchia loves him some MMPark.

That's a kickass name for a venue.

"Where are you doing this weekend?"

"I'm going to The Universal to see The Arcade Fire play with Bowie, front row!"

"That's rockin'"

"I know."

I doubt you'd see Meijer putting their name on another amphitheater. It would just cause confusion.

Maybe Secchia or Universal Forest Products would donate the cash and name it "The Universal Music Center." Secchia loves him some MMPark.

That's a kickass name for a venue.

"Where are you doing this weekend?"

"I'm going to The Universal to see The Arcade Fire play with Bowie, front row!"

"That's rockin'"

"I know."

Anything that helps to get artists like The Arcade Fire play in West Michigan is a good thing.

Like GRDadof3, I've seen plenty of great acts at Pine Knob/DTE... New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, REM, Lollapaloza tours and so on. To get summer tours like that here in town would be great.

I don't think thats all THAT wishful, what have then been doing lately? (I don't follow them at all, but I know I haven't heard anything on them)

They've been on tour for about 15 years without fail.. released studio albums in 2001, 2002, followed by a few live releases. Most recently their album Stand Up came out May 10 of 2005 and debuted at #1 on the billboard charts. They went back in the studio in March and they're back on the road this summer for another 51(+?) shows.

If you really wanted to know.

Archived