Millennium Park Development Updates

GRDadof3

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

speaking of Virginia concert venues....

I remember seeing shows when I was younger at Wolf Trap national park for the performing arts in Northern VA. I used to live there.

wolftrap7B.jpg

wolftrap1.jpg

It seemed to be a bit more of a hybrid ampitheater and concert hall with lots of seating and lots of lawn space...

The reason why the refer to it as Kent County's "Central Park" is because NY's Central Park was laid out, designed and built on the outskirts of Manhattan at the time. The area was very rural swampland far removed from the any city dwellers. They're planning Millenium Park the same way. In fact, Millennium Park is larger than Central Park.

There is still a lot of industrial area that needs to be purchased still. Most of the area along Butterworth has to be acquired, cleaned up of contaminants, and developed for the park.

I would consider a massive success so far. Of course, I don't expect things to develop quite as fast as others. :whistling:

:offtopic: sorry, but after reading this post ive become really interested. at first, i hated millenium park, and how it is impossible to walk to from anywhere. but after reading this, i am starting to like it. :thumbsup: all the city needs to do now is make sure its not surrounded by spawling subdivisions and strip malls. if there were some nice pedestrian-friendly apartments and businesses built around there, that would be awesome!

all the city needs to do now is make sure its not surrounded by spawling subdivisions and strip malls. if there were some nice pedestrian-friendly apartments and businesses built around there, that would be awesome!

The city won't have anything to do with it, because it will be owned/run by the county. As far as private enterprise, there will be very little, if any. The park is supposed to be for all to enjoy, not just potential clients/residence of businesses. But I agree, causing more sprawl would not be an intended effect of the park's purpose. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Amphitheater, arena could play in harmony

"It wouldn't drain business from the arena," Heacock said. "We've struggled with summer shows because people want to be outside in the summer."

An amphitheater would help this area attract shows that might otherwise bypass the arena. "Many shows are designed for outside, so we end up with a pretty quiet house in the summer," he said.

It also could add to this area's growing reputation as a profitable stop for hot shows. "The promoter gets to see us," Heacock said.

15,000 outdoor seats would make for quite a show.

Just thought it was interesting that 20 million dollars spent on an outdoor concert facility in MP that would seat 15,000 4 months a year is "relatively inexpensive" yet a 20 million dollar expansion of Van Andel that would accomodate 16,000 12 months a year doesn't make sense why? Which way to the line for the confused.

Just thought it was interesting that 20 million dollars spent on an outdoor concert facility in MP that would seat 15,000 4 months a year is "relatively inexpensive" yet a 20 million dollar expansion of Van Andel that would accomodate 16,000 12 months a year doesn't make sense why? Which way to the line for the confused.

Because according to arena management (in the linked article), if they don't build an amphitheater soon, someone else in the West Michigan area will and it will take business away from the arena. There have already been two proposed amphitheaters outside the Grand Rapids area, so it's just a matter of time. Spending $20 Million to add 3500 seats to the arena does nothing for the arena as far as concert bookings go. Those seats won't get used for concerts because they are behind the stage.

Spend $20 Million for an amphitheater and they can capture the growing Summer season "shed" tours, that would compliment the arena during its down season, and would allow the arena authority to create more revenue. Hope that makes sense. It does to me.

Spend $20 Million for an amphitheater and they can capture the growing Summer season "shed" tours, that would compliment the arena during its down season, and would allow the arena authority to create more revenue. Hope that makes sense. It does to me.

It makes great sense, and an amphitheather would be a HUGE draw for people to come to GR that otherwise wouldn't. Package up a long weekend with some beach time, an outdoor big-name concert, a night out downtown, and perhaps a ballgame...very few cities in the US can put all that together in one package!

Seeing how many times I've driven to Detroit or even Alpine Valley in Wisconsin with friends to see outdoor concerts, I know that an outdoor venue would go gangbusters here in GR.

The addition would have been $60 million estimated to add those 3,000 seats if I remember right. Thats the base estimate I've heard for expanding the arena. I don't know if that included other renovations to get it to NHL/NBA specs or not.

I can live with another 10 years of waiting for an arena expansion if it means an outdoor ampitheatre can be built in MP. GR won't be Pro-level sports team ready for at least another decade anyway. No reason to go expanding the arena now.

I, for one, am all for anything that means I don't have to travel to see the summer acts.

I agree.. we have traveled far and wide to catch the groups that only do outdoor shows from May-Oct. When I say far and wide I mean from DTE all the way out to Dallas and Golden Gate Park.

Although.. it could just be that we're slightly insane too... :blink:

The addition would have been $60 million estimated to add those 3,000 seats if I remember right. Thats the base estimate I've heard for expanding the arena. I don't know if that included other renovations to get it to NHL/NBA specs or not.

I can live with another 10 years of waiting for an arena expansion if it means an outdoor ampitheatre can be built in MP. GR won't be Pro-level sports team ready for at least another decade anyway. No reason to go expanding the arena now.

$60 mill to add 3 K of seats to the Arena? That's only fifteen mill shy of the $ 75 mill to built it. $20 mill to do 15,000 seats that would be more profitable than added arena seats is a more sound investment.

I wonder if there is any way to build the amphitheater to have views of downtown? That would be sweet! Some of those gravel pits across the road from Millenium Park are elevated..

Being that most amphitheaters of this size would need a pretty deep bowl, they would have to build "up" a hill, rather dig "down" a stage. Very doable, though...

Here are a couple of options I drew up. I don't know if the first one is large enough, so I did an option 2. BTW: I don't have anything to do with the CAA or this feasibility study. This is just for discussion sake.

Since the old Butterworth dump has been capped, it (could) provide an unobstructed view of downtown.

Option 1: In Millennium Park along I-196

265212876_923e3f394d_o.jpg

Option 2: Across the road and up the hill in the gravel pit

265212878_e61bb0f300_o.jpg

Here are a couple of options I drew up. I don't know if the first one is large enough, so I did an option 2. BTW: I don't have anything to do with the CAA or this feasibility study. This is just for discussion sake.

Since the old Butterworth dump has been capped, it (could) provide an unobstructed view of downtown.

Would appear that there would be a lot more space to work with on Option 2. This would have views of downtown?

GRDad, Is the land across the street part of the Millennium Park? On the map that someone posted earlier it wouldn't be included. Maybe they can buy it from the current owners? I like the thought of being able to have views of downtown. Would the stage be facing more to the Southwest that the evening sun would be shinning in the proformer's faces?

GRDad, Is the land across the street part of the Millennium Park? On the map that someone posted earlier it wouldn't be included. Maybe they can buy it from the current owners? I like the thought of being able to have views of downtown. Would the stage be facing more to the Southwest that the evening sun would be shinning in the proformer's faces?

Good thoughts guys. Actually, in the Summer months the sun goes down in the Northwest, so you could turn option 2 counterclockwise a bit so that you would have a semi-sideways view of downtown (you probably couldn't see downtown over the giant pavilion anyway unless it were really steep lawn area). Plus, maybe the lawn would block the sun when it gets really low. :dontknow:

That land across the street is owned by a company out of Nunica. I think it's a gravel operator (Ottawa Aggregates maybe??)

Now I see why they need a feasiblity study for the site.

How's this?

265239627_a273516ad8_o.jpg

Archived