Millennium Park Development Updates

GRDadof3

Do we need more concert venues? How would this benefit the area? I like my concerts at the Van Andel, I just don't see an outdoor one working to well in GR, To much Rain, and limited usage during the year. Because i'm not going to sit outside for hours in the middle of January for anyone.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder, if they do put in an amphitheater in that area, if they'll add an exit ramp off of 196 at Butterworth (or maybe add a new exit ramp). There's no good way to move traffic for a 5 - 10,000 seat amphitheater in that area currently.

For traffic patterns it would better to have amphitheater closer to the park proper, near the intersection on Maynard and Butterworth. That way you can add a ramp onto 196 on Butterworth, but it won't the obvious choice to take to get back on the freeway.

If it's closer to where the kid's park is located and you put a ramp onto 196, everyone will just make for that exit and cause potential traffic problems entering and exiting the freeway there. (Much like 131 and 5th/3rd Park on a game day with a big gate draw.) Better to put that ramp in, but have the amphitheater back by Maynard. That way patrons are more likely to split off north to Lake Michigan Ave, west on O'Brien to Wilson, or south through Johnson park to pick up the freeway in that direction. This way you spread the exiting and entering crowds out little bit more and hopefully promote a more natural traffic flow pattern once the cars reach the freeways.

Do we need more concert venues? How would this benefit the area? I like my concerts at the Van Andel, I just don't see an outdoor one working to well in GR, To much Rain, and limited usage during the year. Because i'm not going to sit outside for hours in the middle of January for anyone.

Weather can't really be counted as limiting factor as DTE Energy Music Theatre is in the same weather cycle and they're consistently named the top amphitheater venue by pollstar and have been top grossing amphitheater numerous times. (Source: http://www.palacenet.com/content.cfm?categ...=el3&pageid=692)

The fact is some acts only want to play outdoor venues in the summer. This would give GR the opportunity to bring in these acts.

The CAA (Convention and Arena Authority) is making a defensive move due to several plans to build outdoor amphitheaters in the boonies surrounding GR (Wayland, Newaygo, Saranac).

Seeing a Reggae Sunsplash, DMB or other similar show at an outdoor theater like DTE blows away any indoor venue, hands down. Having your little beach chairs on the lawn, kicking back with some cold ones or milling around with friends, and the music bumping (absorbed nicely by the grass so that it doesn't reverbate so much). Now that's a concert! :shades:

DTE's schedule goes from May to September:

http://www.palacenet.com/palacecalendar/in...ry=2&loc_id=247

With Dave Matthews June 6th.

The CAA (Convention and Arena Authority) is making a defensive move due to several plans to build outdoor amphitheaters in the boonies surrounding GR (Wayland, Newaygo, Saranac).

Seeing a Reggae Sunsplash, DMB or other similar show at an outdoor theater like DTE blows away any indoor venue, hands down. Having your little beach chairs on the lawn, kicking back with some cold ones or milling around with friends, and the music bumping (absorbed nicely by the grass so that it doesn't reverbate so much). Now that's a concert! :shades:

DTE's schedule goes from May to September:

http://www.palacenet.com/palacecalendar/in...ry=2&loc_id=247

With Dave Matthews June 6th.

Forget an amphitheater. What we need is a 1st rate Quidditch field. We'd be the envy of the midwest! :D

That's true. I haven't been to Pine Knob (DTE) in over 10 years, but I do remember waiting in the long lines of cars through a bunch of country back roads.

I've never been to DTE, but Alpine Valley near Milwaukee is a sight to be seen. Parking in an unmarked field with 35,000 of your closest friends. I can't even remember how many hours we were in the lot after the show.

alpinevalley1.jpg

alpinevalley2.jpg

Source: http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.08/afte...04/alpinet.html

The park has a unique opportunity to be a showcase for sustainable practices in park design. The Indian Mounds (located in MP) should set the tone for how the park could be managed in a more ecological approach to park design and use. It could serve as a stark contrast/reminder of how europeans treat land and parks, planning every square inch to serve a purpose and be developed. I would think there are far better places within the city (Butterworth Landfill?) or around MP that could serve as an entertainment venue. Set Millennium Park aside as a place that has limits to use and lets people see and experience a natural place in West Michigan.

The park has a unique opportunity to be a showcase for sustainable practices in park design. The Indian Mounds (located in MP) should set the tone for how the park could be managed in a more ecological approach to park design and use. It could serve as a stark contrast/reminder of how europeans treat land and parks, planning every square inch to serve a purpose and be developed. I would think there are far better places within the city (Butterworth Landfill?) or around MP that could serve as an entertainment venue. Set Millennium Park aside as a place that has limits to use and lets people see and experience a natural place in West Michigan.

At 1500 acres, I think the amphitheater and the natural setting of the park could co-exist. Especially with the amphitheater having very limited concert date schedules. I would imagine.

Here's the DTE Energy Music Theatre location in Clarkston twoshort (very much like Milwaukee's):

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=cla...017082,0.060768

I personally think this would be a great idea. Some groups, like my favorite group, Oasis, prefer to perform in outdoor venues. I saw them last June at Meadowbrook over in Detroit. An outdoor venue could house more than just rock concerts. The venue could also be designed to house events such as the Grand Rapids Symphony or theatrical performances. I like the fact that it would be accessible by bike via the Kent Trails. I'm not sure as to who would sponsor it but I think the name "Indian Mounds" would be a perfect name.

Has millenium park been a success? I guess I don't know that much about it, but it doesn't seem to be this huge destination that people make it sound like.

I wouldn't say its been a smashing hit. Its had the misfortune of being the site of a few drownings since its opening which is why they want to initiate an admission fee to partly pay for lifeguards. But I don't think one should totally judge its success just yet. The park is still, afterall, a work in progress.

I guess i'm just not clear on the goals of millenium park, when it was announced it sounded like this massive Central park like, public use facility. The few times I have been there I have been unimpressed, It's a little hard to find. They are still in the process of developing it right? I have a feeling as usual I am mis-informed. I guess partly I just feel an outdoor concert venue, isn't going to strike excitement in the hearts of many, and will go the lackluster way the park has thus far.

I guess i'm just not clear on the goals of millenium park, when it was announced it sounded like this massive Central park like, public use facility. The few times I have been there I have been unimpressed, It's a little hard to find. They are still in the process of developing it right? I have a feeling as usual I am mis-informed. I guess partly I just feel an outdoor concert venue, isn't going to strike excitement in the hearts of many, and will go the lackluster way the park has thus far.

I think its just going to be one of those things that will grow with time and the further completion of the park. Once it is completed and connected fully within the Kent Trails and John Ball Park I think it will become a bit more notable. It just needs time. I like the fact that I can ride my bike all the way from my house in Jenison right into the park. Something nice for us west siders.

I agree, it is hard to find. It's not exaclty located anywhere you would be likely to stumble upon it. I took Butterworth from downtown, and I must say it was not the most inviting way. I thought I was lost in the middle of quarries, and signs asking people not to dump. We need better signage to reassure of the correct way. I don't know if it is easier to get to from Wyoming/Grandville, but from Walker/GR it is kind of out there, not near anything. Also, is there any rapid service out there? In a way I think it is great that it is secluded, yet right next door. If only it were clear where it is.

I agree, it is hard to find. It's not exaclty located anywhere you would be likely to stumble upon it. I took Butterworth from downtown, and I must say it was not the most inviting way. I thought I was lost in the middle of quarries, and signs asking people not to dump. We need better signage to reassure of the correct way. I don't know if it is easier to get to from Wyoming/Grandville, but from Walker/GR it is kind of out there, not near anything. Also, is there any rapid service out there? In a way I think it is great that it is secluded, yet right next door. If only it were clear where it is.

The easiest way is to get off at I-196 in Grandville at 28th St/Wilson and take Wilson/M-11 north across the river. Take a right into what is Johnson Park. Follow the road through Johnson Park and turn right onto the access road that has the sign with an arrow which says 'Millenium Park.' From there you just follow the signs.

I personally think this would be a great idea. Some groups, like my favorite group, Oasis, prefer to perform in outdoor venues. I saw them last June at Meadowbrook over in Detroit. An outdoor venue could house more than just rock concerts. The venue could also be designed to house events such as the Grand Rapids Symphony or theatrical performances. I like the fact that it would be accessible by bike via the Kent Trails. I'm not sure as to who would sponsor it but I think the name "Indian Mounds" would be a perfect name.

J3 - I see we have a lot in common (see Former Public Museum Thread). Love Oasis - did they end up coming to GR last summer? I was looking for tickets, but got VERY busy and it slipped into the deep crevices of my already saturated brain.

Love the boys from Manchester. I think I have just about every album they've put out. (Did I really just say "Album" - CD man! CD!!!) :rofl:

I think the park is used quite a bit in the Summertime, considering it is not near where anyone lives. I mean NO ONE, except for that one luxury home neighborhood up in the hills (can't quite place the name). I don't think the proposed entrance fee is for lifeguards, but more for security (?). There was a discussion about it in the Coffee House.

The architecture and layout is pretty cool.

arch_low.jpg

deck_low.jpg

entrance_low.jpg

playground_low.jpg

lg_shelter_low.jpg

The reason why the refer to it as Kent County's "Central Park" is because NY's Central Park was laid out, designed and built on the outskirts of Manhattan at the time. The area was very rural swampland far removed from the any city dwellers. They're planning Millenium Park the same way. In fact, Millennium Park is larger than Central Park.

There is still a lot of industrial area that needs to be purchased still. Most of the area along Butterworth has to be acquired, cleaned up of contaminants, and developed for the park.

I would consider a massive success so far. Of course, I don't expect things to develop quite as fast as others. :whistling:

Can't think amphiteater w/o these guys. Here's to wishful thinking:

stub.jpg

Love that idea.

Love DMB and their tunes. Have only seen them once. (At VA arena a few years back). Wasn't too impressed w/ their live show. I know they're there to promote new albums and such, but they basically ignore previous records. I was a bit bummed. I wanted to hear at LEAST "Ants go Marching". :thumbsup:

Even though they disrecarded their former tunes, they're musical talent is beyond words, though. They had a few great jam session at the concert I attended. Still love me some DMB! :yahoo:

I think the park is used quite a bit in the Summertime, considering it is not near where anyone lives. I mean NO ONE, except for that one luxury home neighborhood up in the hills (can't quite place the name). <snip>

The reason why the refer to it as Kent County's "Central Park" is because NY's Central Park was laid out, designed and built on the outskirts of Manhattan at the time. The area was very rural swampland far removed from the any city dwellers. They're planning Millenium Park the same way. In fact, Millennium Park is larger than Central Park.

There is still a lot of industrial area that needs to be purchased still. Most of the area along Butterworth has to be acquired, cleaned up of contaminants, and developed for the park.

The park is definately in no-mans-land. Right in the middle of nowhere. :) I see great things in the future for the park and the surrounding areas. As you stated, there are plenty of industrial sites that need to be made an 'offer they can't refuse'. :thumbsup: The ampitheather is a great step in the right direction for spurring development near the park.

I would consider a massive success so far. Of course, I don't expect things to develop quite as fast as others. :whistling:

Dad I can buy into this, I'd love to see the city build up around this place, then I'd be a huge fan!

Right now i'm just "eh' whatever. "

J3 - I see we have a lot in common (see Former Public Museum Thread). Love Oasis - did they end up coming to GR last summer? I was looking for tickets, but got VERY busy and it slipped into the deep crevices of my already saturated brain.

Love the boys from Manchester. I think I have just about every album they've put out. (Did I really just say "Album" - CD man! CD!!!) :rofl:

They performed last year in Detroit at the Meadowbrook Music Festival on the campus of Oakland University.

As far as Oasis...they are way underappreciated here in the states. In fact, the US has seemed to have totally lost the idea of what good music is. There is plenty of "rock" these days but very very little "roll."

I could easilly picture a DJ playing in that park at such an amphitheatre... lasers shooting everywhere and people seeing a spectacle as they drive, and roll down their windows to hear the unparalleled combination of a thumping, driving beat and mind-numbing ambience and vocals of trance music. :shades: Only problem is Trance or DJs at all aren't big enough here to pull that off often... only in Europe, Asia, and South America. =[

I could easilly picture a DJ playing in that park at such an amphitheatre... lasers shooting everywhere and people seeing a spectacle as they drive, and roll down their windows to hear the unparalleled combination of a thumping, driving beat and mind-numbing ambience and vocals of trance music. :shades: Only problem is Trance or DJs at all aren't big enough here to pull that off often... only in Europe, Asia, and South America. =[

Heck, with an outdoor amphitheatre we could even host our very own Wayne Stock! :yahoo:

Archived