Millennium Park Development Updates

GRDadof3

They performed last year in Detroit at the Meadowbrook Music Festival on the campus of Oakland University.

As far as Oasis...they are way underappreciated here in the states. In fact, the US has seemed to have totally lost the idea of what good music is. There is plenty of "rock" these days but very very little "roll."

I swear they were lined up @ VA arena. Maybe not...

Regardless, I'd love to see them in concert. Easily one of my top 3 bands of all time foe my personal tastes. Did they put on a good show @ Meadowbrook? My jealousy runneth over.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could easilly picture a DJ playing in that park at such an amphitheatre... lasers shooting everywhere and people seeing a spectacle as they drive, and roll down their windows to hear the unparalleled combination of a thumping, driving beat and mind-numbing ambience and vocals of trance music. :shades: Only problem is Trance or DJs at all aren't big enough here to pull that off often... only in Europe, Asia, and South America. =[

I'm glad there's someone else that appreciates a good techno bass thumpin' beat. Granted, I'm not the most 'techno' of people, but I do appreciate the occasional bass in your face rhythm.

When I was in Spain a few years back visiting a friend...man....the bars and clubs were miles above the offerings here in the States. Europe knows how to party. I think if we could even have an INKLING of what our bretheren in Europe have - we'd have a fantastic recreational lifestyle. Bar none.

Shoot - instead of moving to Phoenix, maybe I should relocate to Europe, eh Dadof3? :thumbsup: Muahahaha - ;)

I could do without the Bros. Gallagher, of course, I'm from the Damon Albarn/Graham Coxon school of Brit-Rock. DMB? eh. They went downhill after Before These Crowded Streets.

Either way, an outdoor venue that could accomodate audiences larger than 1800 people (i think that's capacity at Meijer Gardens Amphitheater) is definitely something the area needs.

As long as it's not bought out or managed by Clear Channel, we should be good (they seem to be swallowing up local amphitheaters like crazy).

As long as it's not bought out or managed by Clear Channel, we should be good (they seem to be swallowing up local amphitheaters like crazy).

House of Blues Corp is doing the same thing with amphitheatres. They even own the famous Red Rocks Theatre in Colorado.

http://www.hob.com/

(venue locations on the right)

Have only seen them once. (At VA arena a few years back). Wasn't too impressed w/ their live show. I know they're there to promote new albums and such, but they basically ignore previous records. I was a bit bummed. I wanted to hear at LEAST "Ants go Marching". :thumbsup:

I'm guessing you saw them in '98 (since in '99 they played Ants Marching at VAA). On paper the setlist looks incredible (to me anyway), although its possible the band didn't get into it. I'm probably biased though because I would love to see them play with bella fleck and tim reynolds in the same set.

:offtopic:

The easiest way is to get off at I-196 in Grandville at 28th St/Wilson and take Wilson/M-11 north across the river. Take a right into what is Johnson Park. Follow the road through Johnson Park and turn right onto the access road that has the sign with an arrow which says 'Millenium Park.' From there you just follow the signs.

Nah, the easiest way is to get on the Kent Trails by JPB/Coke plant, head west. At any junction, keep going straight. You'll pass a small oil well on the right, a big cell tower on the left, and then go through a gate (locked for motor vehicles, work around some large boulders there to block motorcycles and such) on each side). Straight ahead is MP.

The Kent trail access was implemented last fall, and it's really nice.

All of the trails and other attractions need (better) signage. Grandville put up wayfinding signs on the Kent Trail, but you have to go to the sign to figure out where you are!

I'm glad there's someone else that appreciates a good techno bass thumpin' beat. Granted, I'm not the most 'techno' of people, but I do appreciate the occasional bass in your face rhythm.

When I was in Spain a few years back visiting a friend...man....the bars and clubs were miles above the offerings here in the States. Europe knows how to party. I think if we could even have an INKLING of what our bretheren in Europe have - we'd have a fantastic recreational lifestyle. Bar none.

Shoot - instead of moving to Phoenix, maybe I should relocate to Europe, eh Dadof3? :thumbsup: Muahahaha - ;)

Were you on the island of Ibiza there? Although not so much anymore, in late 90s and early 2000s that small island in Spain was recognised as the clubbing capital of the world, and even still is quite a place to go clubbing at. Every summer all the world's best DJs gather there and play in the clubs.

I agree, it is hard to find. It's not exaclty located anywhere you would be likely to stumble upon it. I took Butterworth from downtown, and I must say it was not the most inviting way. I thought I was lost in the middle of quarries, and signs asking people not to dump. We need better signage to reassure of the correct way. I don't know if it is easier to get to from Wyoming/Grandville, but from Walker/GR it is kind of out there, not near anything. Also, is there any rapid service out there? In a way I think it is great that it is secluded, yet right next door. If only it were clear where it is.

http://ridetherapid.org/images/Southwest.gif

You'd have to walk a bit...or use that front-end bus bike rack!

Now there's a thought. ITP could establish a summer bus route taking folks directly from the DT station to MP.

Nah, the easiest way is to get on the Kent Trails by JPB/Coke plant, head west. At any junction, keep going straight. You'll pass a small oil well on the right, a big cell tower on the left, and then go through a gate (locked for motor vehicles, work around some large boulders there to block motorcycles and such) on each side). Straight ahead is MP.

This is the only way i know how to get to MP! We just rode there last night via Kent Trails.

The park is nice, but kind of weird in a sterile, Sim City kind of way.

Having bartended at the Detroit Electronic Music Festival the last few years, I've had a good chance to check out a lot of IDs, and let me tell you, a HUGE number of people traveled from Chicago for that festival. Detroit and Chicago have some very substantial techno/electronica followings, and I could see GR capitalizing a bit on that culture. (At least until we get our own ravers.)

The park is nice, but kind of weird in a sterile, Sim City kind of way.

Considering that the land was a giant gravel pit, dotted with old oil pumps, and dumping ground for two drywall plants... I'll be happy with Sim City until what they planted recently grows out a bit. That area was a lunar landscape in areas for the longest time.

Having bartended at the Detroit Electronic Music Festival the last few years, I've had a good chance to check out a lot of IDs, and let me tell you, a HUGE number of people traveled from Chicago for that festival. Detroit and Chicago have some very substantial techno/electronica followings, and I could see GR capitalizing a bit on that culture. (At least until we get our own ravers.)

Did I hear the Detroit Electronic Music Festival is ending? The guy who runs it went belly up or something?

Well all I need to do is find somebody to help me fund the cost of the speakers and amp, and I will begin playing at various locations. Although I highly doubt I could play at a venue such as an amphitheatre considering I'm a no-name DJ right now, who knows what may happen in the future. I would love to bring a unique nightlife to this town, offering what can be found only in the largest of cities on this continent.

Considering that the land was a giant gravel pit, dotted with old oil pumps, and dumping ground for two drywall plants... I'll be happy with Sim City until what they planted recently grows out a bit. That area was a lunar landscape in areas for the longest time.

Ya, that's what's weird about it - eutopia in a gravel pit.

Well all I need to do is find somebody to help me fund the cost of the speakers and amp, and I will begin playing at various locations. Although I highly doubt I could play at a venue such as an amphitheatre considering I'm a no-name DJ right now, who knows what may happen in the future. I would love to bring a unique nightlife to this town, offering what can be found only in the largest of cities on this continent.

You should hook up with fluffy on here, who also is a DJ and has been complaining about the poor quality DJ "posers" around GR.

Speaking of 80's/90's Euro music, does anyone think Death Cab for Cutie (singers of "Soul Meets Body") sounds like a lot of alternative bands out of the 80's/90's?

I think we should allow this topic to go wherever we want it to.

I've been DJ'ing in my basement for probably a year now. I'll admit I'm not the greatest, but my mixing gets better every day. My friend keeps telling me I'm sounding more and more like Paul van Dyk with my mixing, but I think he's just exaggerating ^^ I do try to practise frequently though.

As soon as I finish mixing a special set for a friend, I plan on opening a small website with 1-2 hour demo sets of my various styles. (I enjoy playing Trance, Hard Dance, and Gabber.. but all 3 would need their own set otherwise it'll sound like crap)

Tony Slater sounds like a action hero that blows stuff up :yahoo:, rather then DJ mix boy dude :dontknow: Tonnny Slaaater in Poseable Action Dude, saving the world one pose at a time. The terriorists have stolen the toothbrush from the cabinet, Slater's woman went with them..... Tony is gonna kill.

Tony Slater sounds like a action hero that blows stuff up :yahoo:, rather then DJ mix boy dude :dontknow: Tonnny Slaaater in Poseable Action Dude, saving the world one pose at a time. The terriorists have stolen the toothbrush from the cabinet, Slater's woman went with them..... Tony is gonna kill.

That is a great entertainer name, I must say. :shades: Wasn't there a Slater in Saved By The Bell?

That is a great entertainer name, I must say. :shades: Wasn't there a Slater in Saved By The Bell?

Yes, that was A. C. Slater.

I see others have answered so I'll say that was Mario Lopez, aka Greg Louganis in the made for tv biopic.

Archived