Millennium Park Development Updates

GRDadof3

Here are a couple of options I drew up. I don't know if the first one is large enough, so I did an option 2. BTW: I don't have anything to do with the CAA or this feasibility study. This is just for discussion sake.

Since the old Butterworth dump has been capped, it (could) provide an unobstructed view of downtown.

Option 1: In Millennium Park along I-196

265212876_923e3f394d_o.jpg

Freeway noise.

Also, would need to implement a visual buffer so that drivers are not distracted or trying to pull over to see what's happening.

There's an old drive-in in Ohio with a screen that's visible from the turnpike. Same deal.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think cars would be able to see what was going on since the pavilion would face away from the highway. Here's the view from Butterworth Drive right at that location CK1. There was some traffic noise, but that could easily be buffered for the most part by a grass berm, and still maintain a sightline of downtown. Downtown would not be the focal point obviously, just a backfrop. Like downtown Denver from Red Rocks Theatre.

265304573_0590806a8b_b.jpg

(is that service or what?)

I don't think cars would be able to see what was going on since the pavilion would face away from the highway. Here's the view from Butterworth Drive right at that location CK1. There was some traffic noise, but that could easily be buffered for the most part by a grass berm, and still maintain a sightline of downtown.

One of two things is going to happen on that site. The new offices for the Kent County Parks and Rec. Dept. will be there or the new "gateway" piece will be there.

This is the only section of MP visible from the highway. MP is interested in using that site as the "gateway" to MP.

allthough it would be nice to have it in that area with views of downtown, a location farther back is probably a much better choice because of the traffice noise and also the noise the concerts give off, it would want to be secluded where there are no homes and other buildings nearby, looking at the map on the first page I would say the best options for the stage would be off the south side of butterworth, along the river by the end of the beach road or on the other side of the river across from johnson park

15,000 seems like a good sized venue but how big is DTE? or Ford/Duncan theater in Sterling Hights (311 there, the best sounding show I've seen)?

Here's a good one. The Molson Amphitheater in Toronto. :blink: That has a 16,000 capacity.

On another note, there is not a house around for at least a mile from that Butterworth/O'Brienn area. Plus it's buffered by hills to the West and North, and the highway, river and industrial land to the East (as can be seen in the photo I took). I'm interested to hear what ProgressiveAE comes back with, which is supposed to be before the end of the year (time is of the essence).

molsonamphitheatre1.jpg

Is it just me (it could be) or do other people quite often smell the Waste Water Treatment Plant when flying down that section of the Ford in the summer? You don't even have to be on Market sometimes. If the amphitheater was to go where the possible "gateway to MP" would sit, does anyone think the smell of the WWTP would drift over on those hot, humid, summer evenings? :sick:

I have often thought of MP and the WWTP when I go through that section everyday in the summer. I can usually smell it when just as I'm crossing the river, and would think others could too.

Maybe not though. It could just be me. :whistling:

Is it just me (it could be) or do other people quite often smell the Waste Water Treatment Plant when flying down that section of the Ford in the summer? You don't even have to be on Market sometimes. If the amphitheater was to go where the possible "gateway to MP" would sit, does anyone think the smell of the WWTP would drift over on those hot, humid, summer evenings? :sick:

I have often thought of MP and the WWTP when I go through that section everyday in the summer. I can usually smell it when just as I'm crossing the river, and would think others could too.

Maybe not though. It could just be me. :whistling:

Yeah, I smell something in that area, but I was thinking it was after you cross the river heading West on 196, around where the Chicago Drive on-ramp comes in. I think Wyoming's WWTP is in that area, so I always assumed that's what it was. But I hope someone is studying that issue as well. That would be a deal breaker for most people.

Yeah, I smell something in that area, but I was thinking it was after you cross the river heading West on 196, around where the Chicago Drive on-ramp comes in. I think Wyoming's WWTP is in that area, so I always assumed that's what it was. But I hope someone is studying that issue as well. That would be a deal breaker for most people.

How about doing some field research prior to registering more complaints?

I ride KT often. GR's plant is there on Market, but it's not terrible. And you have to be pretty close to Wyoming's to smell it. I usually notice the Burma-Shave-esque signage long before the aroma.

Landscaping can mitigate much of that. Petunias, lilies, other heavy blooms would do the trick.

GRDad - thanks for the quick photo of that view...true, downtown would not be the focal point, but how cool would a lit up GR look at night in the background? It's nice that "time is of the essense" on this one, too, as trying to prevent another operation from setting up will hopefully keep a fire lit under some people on this one!

There is always hope that a rail or bus line will be build from the city core to the park....

With 15,000 people filling the ampitheater, the city would have to atleast run bus service from DT to the ampitheater and back. To not do so would be half baked and foolish on the city's part.

Before I push the "Add Reply" button, here's one more thing. How would the city address parking? I hate to see an endless sea of asphalt taking up half of Millenium Park. How much would a 1500 car parking structure cost? Somthing like that would service 5000 fans and cut way down on space needed for surface parking. If its too expensive, I guess we'd have to deal with a masive service lot.

With 15,000 people filling the ampitheater, the city would have to atleast run bus service from DT to the ampitheater and back. To not do so would be half baked and foolish on the city's part.

Before I push the "Add Reply" button, here's one more thing. How would the city address parking? I hate to see an endless sea of asphalt taking up half of Millenium Park. How much would a 1500 car parking structure cost? Somthing like that would service 5000 fans and cut way down on space needed for surface parking. If its too expensive, I guess we'd have to deal with a masive service lot.

Gee, it would make sense to use the DASH lots and the one behind the existing arena. Run shuttle buses to the park.

(During the SBXL, I rode a shuttle from Northland Mall to DT Detroit to take in some of the ambiance. It was a hoot, and I'd do it again.)

Most amphitheater have "lot" style parking, either pavement or grass/gravel.. (at least the ones I've been to). It can be setup in a "Natural Environment" though. DTE has lots of trees and forrest around and through thier parking lot (well some of it at least). It feels more like a campground

Edit.... horrible spelling.. yeeeesh

if it were closer to DT there would be 15000 more people DT b4 and after shows, out in MP the people might as well go to rivertown to eat

Sure, that would be a nice boost for downtown, but how realistic is that? Where would it go that it wouldn't get noise complaints, or create a need for a massive surface parking lot?

Making the parking lot small and providing shuttle busses from the downtown DASH lots, now that's a good idea! That would hopefully negate the need to build a new offramp in that area (that would cost $10's of Millions), and would alleviate traffic backups in that area. There are only a few ways in and out of there, and all 2 lane roads in horrible shape from all the trucks. It would also dump concert goers back into downtown, or at least a lot of them not from the West side.

if it were closer to DT there would be 15000 more people DT b4 and after shows, out in MP the people might as well go to rivertown to eat

most of these places have restraunts, stores and consessions on site

this bringing people DT would be great and I think a lot would still go DT but a lot of them are there just for the concert and then leave, many would probably go DT since that would be fairly close and may be out-of-towners but its not fair to put it DT with the crowds, noise, parking and traffic it would bring. This would have to be fairly spread out and secluded so it doesnt bother nearby businesses and homes

Downtown and with all its parking structures could be quite useful for an amphiteheater near the core. It's really quite wasteful to have a dedicated parking lot that will sit empty all but a few days a year. I went to some massive concert in Toronto at Downsview Park on the North side of the city, but since some 450,000 people were attending, they recommended people park downtown and ride the subway. It worked great.

-nb

I would love a new amphitheater in a central part of GR but I don't see it happening. Way too many ordinance nuisances to have to deal with. Noise, traffic, late hours of operation, density, etc. Millenium Park continues to be the best option. There is lots of open, unused land. There is already an existing base of both vehicular and non-vehicular transportation networks. The relative lack of population in the area would make the aforementioned nuisances a non-issue. It would also bring a lot of vibrancy to that area of town and help bring some needed re-development attention for that end of town.

most of these places have restraunts, stores and consessions on site

this bringing people DT would be great and I think a lot would still go DT but a lot of them are there just for the concert and then leave, many would probably go DT since that would be fairly close and may be out-of-towners but its not fair to put it DT with the crowds, noise, parking and traffic it would bring. This would have to be fairly spread out and secluded so it doesnt bother nearby businesses and homes

Can't imagine the County obtaining a liquor license for MP.

Archived