Grand Rapids to be a smoking cessation test market

GRDadof3

Grand Rapids a test market for a smoking cessation program

The nonprofit group planned to introduce the program it developed with the Mayo Clinic to Grand Rapids today. It is part of a four-city test before it becomes a national campaign next year.

Why Grand Rapids?

For the same reason some companies pick this city as a test site for new products, said Joe Martyak, the group's executive vice president for marketing and communications.

"Grand Rapids has a very good sampling demographic of the U.S.," he said. "And there's been little or no campaign or advertising about quitting smoking from other sources."

Anyone here going to join the program?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Grand Rapids a test market for a smoking cessation program

The nonprofit group planned to introduce the program it developed with the Mayo Clinic to Grand Rapids today. It is part of a four-city test before it becomes a national campaign next year.

Why Grand Rapids?

For the same reason some companies pick this city as a test site for new products, said Joe Martyak, the group's executive vice president for marketing and communications.

"Grand Rapids has a very good sampling demographic of the U.S.," he said. "And there's been little or no campaign or advertising about quitting smoking from other sources."

Anyone here going to join the program?

Having been an on again off again smoker for half of my life (currently off again, probably for good), the key to quitting smoking is mental attitude.

I quit this last January 1st. I didn't mean it to be a New Year's resolution but it just seemed to work out that way. I just finally made up my mind that it was time and I stuck with it. For the most part it's been ok. The first few weeks of my bowling league were rough but I got over it.

If you truly want to quit and have made up your mind it's what you want to do success will follow behind.

well not everybody is the same. If my family tried to intervene I'd have issues, as they are all well aware that unless they are paying my bills they are all by-standers in my life. I don't smoke, but that's only because I know if I ever tried it, I'd be the 60 year old man with a whole in his throat from throat cancer, and I'd be puffin out of the hole. Once I start something, I don't stop. I don't have the self control unless it's absolute. It's why I sympathize with people who smoke. It's gotta be rough as hell.

I think this is a good thing. Personally, I don't know if I am a speacial case but I have smoked a lot of cigaretts in the past 5 years or so, but have never felt addicted. I rarely buy them, I may take one if offered, or bum one occassonally at a party or bar, but I just have not felt the urge to be a full time smoker and it does bother me when I go to a really smokey bar and my cloths reek like it.

I think this is a good thing. Personally, I don't know if I am a speacial case but I have smoked a lot of cigaretts in the past 5 years or so, but have never felt addicted. I rarely buy them, I may take one if offered, or bum one occassonally at a party or bar, but I just have not felt the urge to be a full time smoker and it does bother me when I go to a really smokey bar and my cloths reek like it.

Archived