Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atlrvr

Urban Retail

14 posts in this topic

I'm starting this thread to discuss urban retail rumors/news.

I'll start the thread off with Best Buy has signed at lease at 360 Newbury St., that was occupied the Virgin Megastore. It's 45,000 square feet, so it's close to being a full-sized suburban Best Buy. Though I'm not a big fan of chains, I don't mind Best Buy too much, as they serve a very diverse population, and there aren't any indepedent electronics/appliance stores that I can think of....certainaly there impact on CD Spins and Newbury Comins will be less than Virgin.

seems like a bad idea. I know it's a long walk, or a pretty quick ride on the train, but the Fenway Best Buy is fairly close. I would think that the company would not want to move a store so close to each other.

Abercrombie and Fitch is returning to Faneuil Hall, and will be taking the same space they previously occupied, though only the bottom three floors, instead of the 7-8 they had.

I was around the theater district and thought I saw what looked like an empty lot with Target branded skrim around it. Is Target building an urban store in Boston proper?

There has been talk of Target taking a space in the new mixed-use tower proposed for the old Filenes space at Downtown Crossing.

That empty lot is rumored to be developed into a super-narrow 8-10 story condo building that will have really flashy signage. There is an older thread somewhere on UP, but it doesn't have the latest redering.

Could be "advertecture." Which is putting up ads on a building/vacant lot as it is being renovated/built. It's something you see a lot in New York even though it violates the New York City sign laws.

DKNY is leaving its place on the 1st block of Newbury St and is being replaced by Spain-based Zara.

DKNY is leaving its place on the 1st block of Newbury St and is being replaced by Spain-based Zara.

I'm not sure.....the Boston Courant just said they chose not to renew their lease. Maybe they will move to the Copley?

I'm not sure.....the Boston Courant just said they chose not to renew their lease. Maybe they will move to the Copley?

Best Buy has been stocking their store in 360 Newbury all week....it must be opening within the next couple of weeks.

Best Buy has been stocking their store in 360 Newbury all week....it must be opening within the next couple of weeks.