Amtrak has best year ever in Michigan because of gas prices

egrguy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We took the train from K-Zoo to Chicago a few years ago. We wanted to leave from Grand Rapids, but it looked like there was no Amtrak service out of GR on their website. To us it looked like we would have to take a bus from GR to the train station in K-Zoo. Did it change, or did we completly misread something somewhere, because we would love to be able to just drive to Grand Rapids and leave the car there.

Also in regards to train service between GR and TC, good luck with that. Don't know if you're aware of this or not, but there are no tracks between GR and TC. GR and Ludington and GR to Manistee are about as close as they come. From TC you can get to Cadillac and Durand, which links up with the Port Huron-Flint-Lansing line which links into the Detroit to Chicago route. I can't even imagine what it would cost these days to lay down new track. Escpecially a couple hundred miles worth, probebly in the tens of millions of dollars if not hundreds of millions. Don't misunderstand me here though, it would be great if such a route existed. I would take it at least five times a year.

We took the train from K-Zoo to Chicago a few years ago. We wanted to leave from Grand Rapids, but it looked like there was no Amtrak service out of GR on their website. To us it looked like we would have to take a bus from GR to the train station in K-Zoo. Did it change, or did we completly misread something somewhere, because we would love to be able to just drive to Grand Rapids and leave the car there.

Also in regards to train service between GR and TC, good luck with that. Don't know if you're aware of this or not, but there are no tracks between GR and TC. GR and Ludington and GR to Manistee are about as close as they come. From TC you can get to Cadillac and Durand, which links up with the Port Huron-Flint-Lansing line which links into the Detroit to Chicago route. I can't even imagine what it would cost these days to lay down new track. Escpecially a couple hundred miles worth, probebly in the tens of millions of dollars if not hundreds of millions. Don't misunderstand me here though, it would be great if such a route existed. I would take it at least five times a year.

^^I beleive that would be the Wolverine line?

BTW, are the trains nice on long distance trips?

me and my bro might take a train to Salt Lake City next summer to visit my friends because its cheaper than flying. Have any of you ever gone on a long train ride? Some reviews/personal stories would be appreciated. :)

I never saw that route that ran along the lakeshore. Does it only run certain times of the day? I went to the Amtrak website, typed in GR to Chicago and again, it would put you on a bus to Kzoo than on a train to Chicago, but on the return the train from Chicago would go to GR. I don't get :unsure:

I never saw that route that ran along the lakeshore. Does it only run certain times of the day? I went to the Amtrak website, typed in GR to Chicago and again, it would put you on a bus to Kzoo than on a train to Chicago, but on the return the train from Chicago would go to GR. I don't get :unsure:

Archived