why no development around the CenturyTel Arena?

dingo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The parkway is also on the agenda to be extended all the way south to Sligo Road in the very near future as well, and some site work is already underway on that project. This will allow for better accessibility to the CTC area and will hopefully help to spur some development. The new Shreveport-Barksdale interchange will also help until something can be done about the Jimmie Davis Bridge.

You know, I was on mapquest a couple of days ago looking at aerial images and you can clearly see how I-220 had turns off the ramps like they planned on one day extending it. Why would they do that? It's obvious that it dead ends right into the middle of Barksdale. They could never get it to loop SBC. The only way they could (looking at the map) is to route it right through the middle of Haughton and up Sligo. I don't know that it was actually poor planning, I don't know if they actually had a choice. I do not think that Haughton would have allowed it to destroy the town (and it would have). It would have had to followed the path of 614 and Hwy 157. The only way that we could have a true loop is if it circled Barksdale and we know it is huge.

This is my thinking too. There are base closures and cut backs almost every year. As important as Barksdale is to us and the military it is never safe from closure, just as every other military installation. So, I am with you on this, you just never know. Actually that end of Barksdale that I-220 points to seems to be mostly undeveloped.

It's undeveloped out there but there's a lot of testing that occurs out there. I have a friend who is involved in some of that testing, and there are explosions out there all the time. I hear and feel them quite often. They can safely test weapons and equipment out there without fear of harming the base in general or civilians.

I really wish we could come up with a solution, because I'd love to see I-220 continue on where it is. It's a shame the base is so rectangular in that direction, but I understand they had to work with the land that was donated to them way back in the beginning.

Again, I agree. I didn't mean to get off topic. About the CTC development; I know there are good subdivisions to the south, but think of all the bad areas down Barksdale Blvd. This could be a reason that is keeping it from developing. I have long thought this would be a great area for restaurants, but last time I was over there for an event it looked like Arena BBQ was closed. Is it? I would be great to see this area develop, all it takes is one or to developments to snowball.

I've been to a south bossier citizens meeting.. South Bossier is full of OLD people that don't wont it to look like youree drive.. I heard them myself.. there are so many old folks that some spokesman said he'd like to see highrise retirement condos along the river in south bossier.. this was a while back, though they did say theyd love to see a HOME DEPOT along Barksdale BLVD near the CTC.

They're a bit overly dramatic if you ask me. These are the same NIMBYs who fought CTC in the first place. I hate to break it to them, but that area will never resemble Youree Drive, it's too close to Youree Drive for that to happen. It would take on its own very unique look if it were allowed to blossom.

I could actually see a Home Depot working out well in that part of Bossier, because the nearest Home Depot locations to South Bossier are North Bossier on Airline, and South Shreveport on bert Kouns @ I-49. Both of those seem worlds away from South Bossier.

Archived