Memphis Tigers Basketball

Fellowmann20

I thought I would start a thread on the Memphis Tigers Basketball. If anybody saw their first game last night, you know we are going to have a great season. We beat down Jackson St. at the Fedex Forum, 111 to 69. Joey Dorsey (spelling might be wrong) was dunking the ball and we shot 15 3-pointers. It was a great start to the season. :yahoo:

Just thought I would make a thread for them.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm much more excited about this year's team than I was about last year's. The season is still very young, but we seem to have better chemistry and players who work at Coach Cal's system and philosophy moreso than last season. Last night, they seemed to play with more passion, hustle, and a greater killer instinct than last season's squad. If this trend continues, I expect great things from our Tigers. :yahoo:

I'm much more excited about this year's team than I was about last year's. The season is still very young, but we seem to have better chemistry and players who work at Coach Cal's system and philosophy moreso than last season. Last night, they seemed to play with more passion, hustle, and a greater killer instinct than last season's squad. If this trend continues, I expect great things from our Tigers. :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the game last night. I never would have thought that Memphis would have rush all of their shots and been out of synch. They were and Chris Lofton was on for the best game of his life. Memphis had a size advantage, but they look very young and I'm thinking that they will go that far in the post season. Maybe they will slow down a step and get it together. They have a lot of talent.

I loved the game last night. I never would have thought that Memphis would have rush all of their shots and been out of synch. They were and Chris Lofton was on for the best game of his life. Memphis had a size advantage, but they look very young and I'm thinking that they will go that far in the post season. Maybe they will slow down a step and get it together. They have a lot of talent.

• 2 months later...

Well I haven't seen a lot of their games lately, but the Tigers are doing great. 19 straight wins, ranked number 5 in the country, and yet again Memphis will be hosting the conference USA tournament. This is great, except that Memphis needs more hotels. :D

The Tigers are burning through the C-USA tournament beating Marshall (92-71), Tulane (71-49), and today Houston (71-59). Adding 3 more wins to their 19 game winning streak. The winning streak, which was already the longest in the country, now has 22 victories.

Go Tigers! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

GIVE IT UP FOR THE TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: We're in the elite eight again, and hopefully this time we will go all the way!

If any of you saw the game it was a real nail biter. We won by 1 point 65-64, and right now it looks like we will be playing Tennessee in the next match. If so it will be a really great game.

GO TIGERS!!! :D

GIVE IT UP FOR THE TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: We're in the elite eight again, and hopefully this time we will go all the way!

If any of you saw the game it was a real nail biter. We won by 1 point 65-64, and right now it looks like we will be playing Tennessee in the next match. If so it will be a really great game.

GO TIGERS!!! :D

All the Best of Luck against OSU, I'll be rooting for UM. It should be a good game. Memphis had more guickness than the OSU inside players and the speed to disrupt the OSU guard play. I think that UT showed that Odem can be negated. Harris is probibly a better player for OSU all around than Odem. UT let a second half slump and cold free throw shooting kill their chances. UM needs to keep up their end of game free throw improvement to make certain that they hold on. I'll be rooting for you. Besides, my mother would kill me if I didn't. :whistling:

I might be biased, but I think they let ohio state do whatever they wanted. Memphis came out playing a physical game like the did in the aggie game, ohio state came out playing the same type of game. The only difference was the refs allowed ohio state to play physical and they didn't let memphis. If you go back and watch the replay, you will see all kinds of touch fouls called on memphis, but none called on ohio state.

Also, oden sucks. He is not the player that every one says he is. The refs make him that player. Why during the ohio state-xavier game, greg oden can push a guy into the photographers and nothing serious is called, yet when chris douglas-roberts grabs odens hips it is intentional. On top of that, there is no continiation rule in college basketball, so the refs allowed greg oden to go up and dunk the ball well after he was fouled. I think everyone remembers that series, which lasted about 10 seconds, it was when we went from 3 points ahead to 3 points behind.

Though my favorite call of the game was when dorsy "supposedly" pushed oden down. When the replay was shown, dorsy's hands were basically grabbing his nuts. How in the world can the refs assume dorsy pushed oden when dorsy was grabbing his own nuts?

Ohio state sucks, they should have been beaten along time ago by xavier. Basketball is not about who is the best team in basketball anymore, it is who can make the most money. Memphis cannot draw the kind of attention/crowds ohio state can in the final four, so it is only logicall for cbs and the ncaa to get rid of a low team like memphis.

I might be biased, but I think they let ohio state do whatever they wanted. Memphis came out playing a physical game like the did in the aggie game, ohio state came out playing the same type of game. The only difference was the refs allowed ohio state to play physical and they didn't let memphis. If you go back and watch the replay, you will see all kinds of touch fouls called on memphis, but none called on ohio state.

Also, oden sucks. He is not the player that every one says he is. The refs make him that player. Why during the ohio state-xavier game, greg oden can push a guy into the photographers and nothing serious is called, yet when chris douglas-roberts grabs odens hips it is intentional. On top of that, there is no continiation rule in college basketball, so the refs allowed greg oden to go up and dunk the ball well after he was fouled. I think everyone remembers that series, which lasted about 10 seconds, it was when we went from 3 points ahead to 3 points behind.

Though my favorite call of the game was when dorsy "supposedly" pushed oden down. When the replay was shown, dorsy's hands were basically grabbing his nuts. How in the world can the refs assume dorsy pushed oden when dorsy was grabbing his own nuts?

Ohio state sucks, they should have been beaten along time ago by xavier. Basketball is not about who is the best team in basketball anymore, it is who can make the most money. Memphis cannot draw the kind of attention/crowds ohio state can in the final four, so it is only logicall for cbs and the ncaa to get rid of a low team like memphis.

Its sad to think that money has corrupted even basketball. After watching the game again, Oden got away with goaltending and fouls. I wonder why everytime OhioSt drove into our defense they called a cheap foul. Look at these stats.

MEM-OSU

Points 76 92

FG Made-Attempted 26-65 (.400) 26-51 (.510)

3P Made-Attempted 10-22 (.455) 5-17 (.294)

FT Made-Attempted 14-20 (.700) 35-41 (.854)

Fouls (Tech/Flagrant) 29 (0/0) 15 (0/0)

Largest Lead 5-16

We made the same number of field goals. We beat them at the 3 point range. Now anyone would tell you that we won that game just by looking at those stats. But now look at free throw attempts.they had twice as many plus 1 then we did. We had 20 and they had 41. This is one side officiating. If you look at ESPN's game flow chart we were neck and neck with them until CDR had that "intentional" foul and they end the game on a 18 straight made free throw attempts. I hope one day we get into a BCS conference so we actually have a fair chance next time. Is the Elite 8 the ceiling of our tournament hopes and dreams?

Did anybody see the Georgetown-Vanderbilt game where the guy makes the game winning shot after walking and the refs failed to notice it?

On a brighter note. I cant wait for next years team. They are going to have so much potential with these incoming recruits: Top point guard Derrick Rose, Jeff Robinson, and Shawn Taggart.

Archived