The Drawing Board

jungletobacco

Augusta needs some creative ideas to put the city on another level. Creative thinking is one of Atlanta's strengths, and the city is capitalizing on that. Now, Augusta is starting to be a little more progressive with the dragstrip in South Augusta (not all that creative but its a start). I think an aquarium that is a nice size will be cool and marketable. It could serve the whole CSRA! Imagine all the elementary schools in the area and tourist coming to this one aquarium, which should be downtown. That just one idea.......any others?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps Savannah should try for the Aquarium idea. Seems a little more fitting for the city but it would be nice if Augusta had one. Id like to see a Botanical Garden in Augusta....a REAL one, not the half assed one at the Golf Hall of Fame. Perhaps a small zoo would be nice too. Does anyone remember the mini zoo they used to have at Pendleton King Park? That park would be a prefect setting and location for another smaller sized zoo. Kind of like the Greenville Zoo at Cleveland Park in G-ville.

Just finishing the Golf Hall of Fame would be a start. The gardens there are pretty nice (though I hate that the site is so fenced off from Reynolds St.), and people would actually use them if the museum portion, and a possible hotel were completed at the site.

Finish the Golf Hall of Fame........thats lame! Augusta need something different Topher. I mean that garden crap okay but its not going to draw out-of-towners. Not saying the ideas we bring up are going to happen or can happen. I just wanna pick your brain to see what you think will some of the light off Atlanta a bit. Now hear me out , a all-night First Friday! Now tell me that wont shake the city up! feed back please

I thought we already had an all-night First Friday----I thought that was part of the problem. :)

What does Augusta need? I"m not sure. What will make people get in their cars and drive here? Well people tend to like our golf courses and there are a lot of guys out there who will shell out bucks just to play golf in Augusta (of course, we're already capitalizing on that a bit). I too like the idea of finishing the Golf and Gardens. Sorry, Jungletobacco, but we gotta do something with that place and I say finish it; finish it and build another hotel and convention center somewhere close by.

Other stuff I would like to see:

1. Developing to the lower end of Broad Street to make it look less tacky.

2. Do something with the Bon Air!!!!! Do it. I don't care. But the place is depressing. One of the nicest hotels anywhere and now it's a retirement home for criminals.

3. Clean up Washington Road. It sucks. I can handle that Gordon Highway and Deans Bridge Road suck, but I mean, Peach Orchard Road looks better than Washington Road. Clean it, put in some sign ordinances, and make it look good again.

4. Sell the old Davidson like has been proposed a million times. Investors from a biotech company a couple of years ago wanted to buy Davison--the BOE turned them down. What??? It just sits there. There is no one there. Sell it.

5. Sell all land that the city owns unless we want a park. Make sure to sell it someone who is going to do the best with it, but sell it.

6. Close Daniel Field. We're not Atlanta. We don't need two airports. We cannot support one. I know it's an "intown" airport for private planes, but we don't need it. Close it and build a Whole Foods Market. Okay, well that's just self-serving, but do it anyway.

Well that's it for now.

I think the only time I ever see Daniel Field ever really that busy with air traffic is during the Masters. I dont mind it being there, but that is some prime property it sits on. Sad to say but if a Whole Foods ever enters the Augusta market, it is bound to go to Evans.

I agree about the Bon-Aire Hotel as well. It is just too majestic of a building to be a retirement home. They should have used to old VA-Forest Hills tower for that. Does anyone remember that building? It was an 8-9 floor former hotel built in the 20s then converted into a VA hosptial during WWII. It was finally torn down in the late 80's/early 90's. It was a nice old building.

I think the only time I ever see Daniel Field ever really that busy with air traffic is during the Masters. I dont mind it being there, but that is some prime property it sits on. Sad to say but if a Whole Foods ever enters the Augusta market, it is bound to go to Evans.

I agree about the Bon-Aire Hotel as well. It is just too majestic of a building to be a retirement home. They should have used to old VA-Forest Hills tower for that. Does anyone remember that building? It was an 8-9 floor former hotel built in the 20s then converted into a VA hosptial during WWII. It was finally torn down in the late 80's/early 90's. It was a nice old building.

Pillsbury, I used to walk over there as a kid (13-14) and would find all kinds of cool, old timey medical utensils, probably from the distant past. One time I found a very old looking syringe ....course didnt touch it. That was when the building was still up. I can remember looking out the window of Aquinas (where I went to HS) and watching that big demolishing ball tear the building down.

The Forrest Hills Ricker Hotel. I grew up around that area and remember sneaking into it when it was abandoned a few years before it was demolished. It was amazing. Such ornate details with just about every aspect of it. I was also impressed with the grounds and the yard in front which faces Park Ave. 1920's grandeur. I believe the ultimate reason they had to demo it and couldn't re-use it was 1) it was full of asbestos, 2) there was no central HVAC which would result in a major renovation (along with Fire Sprinkler and just about every other Life Safety aspect imaginable).

See if you guys and get to this link.

http://baharris.org/historicpolandspring/F...HillsRicker.htm

Pillsbury, I used to walk over there as a kid (13-14) and would find all kinds of cool, old timey medical utensils, probably from the distant past. One time I found a very old looking syringe ....course didnt touch it. That was when the building was still up. I can remember looking out the window of Aquinas (where I went to HS) and watching that big demolishing ball tear the building down.

With all the retail being develped, I think Augusta ought to get an outlet center next. I know Commerce GA gets a lot of visitors because of their outlet and they are a lot smaller than Augusta. You can only shop in Commerce...there is nothing else there but if you come to Augusta, you could shop out the outlets and the malls and then go downtown.

I have always understood outlet centers to be between large metro regions. Commerce between Atlanta and Greenville, Brunswick between Savannah and Jacksonville, Gafney between Greenville and Charlotte, etc. Also, outlet centers do not really offer beter prices than you can get in metro areas. They are kind of an attempt to draw travelers to stop and do a lot of shopping in one area. Check the prices with competitive city prices and I think you will find they are comparable.

The used to be a outlet mall in Lexington, it was not a large outdoor mall but rather a smaller indoor mall anchored by (I think) a Waccamaw pottery store. I think Tanger or Prime outlets would be nice, maybe for one of the Aiken exits on I-20, or perhaps around Crawfordville Ga., to break up the monotony of that boring 2 hour ride to Atlanta.

• 3 weeks later...

CSRA Highspeed Railroad Transportation - With Cities like Macon And Savannah making this leap, Augusta can not afford to fall behind on the urbanization of the state of Georgia outside Atlanta. Wouldnt it be cool if we had our own type of train system backed by the counties in the CSRA. I think it will encourage the counties to grow and attract businesses. Augusta, Aiken, Evans, Thomson and Waynesboro are the metro's key cities. No one seem to consider the Augusta area as a major player in major projects so, it time to become more dependent on ourselves. Wasnt Amtrak interest in Augusta, what happen to that?

One of the major problems that I hear that people outside of the metro have with Augusta is its public transportation system. In Augusta's defense, the bus system is underutilized so I can see why expanding it wouldn't make sense. On the other hand, maybe if it was better, it would get more use.

Archived