Pavilion Farewell Photos

gs3

Not being from S.C. I have no personal experience with the Myrtle Beach Pavilion, however the loss of anything with this much historical and sentimental value is sad. The place is now fenced off, waiting for the wrecking ball. A few photos from this past weekend.

DSC00100.jpg

DSC00103.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSC00100.jpg

Thanks for the memories. The Swamp Fox was my first wooden rollercoaster thrill back in the late 1970s. I got on it again and again with friends--though, the noise & then the 65 ft drop always gave me a near heart attack--every time. I am sorry to hear that the park will be gone with the tide by the time I get back to the Grandstrand.

I rode a similar "wooden" coaster at Great America Park in San Jose, CA, a few years ago, that reminded me of MB's Swamp Fox...

DSC00100.jpg

Thanks for the memories. The Swamp Fox was my first wooden rollercoaster thrill back in the late 1970s. I got on it again and again with friends--though, the noise & then the 65 ft drop always gave me a near heart attack--every time. I am sorry to hear that the park will be gone with the tide by the time I get back to the Grandstrand.

I rode a similar "wooden" coaster at Great America Park in San Jose, CA, a few years ago, that reminded me of MB's Swamp Fox...

OK, I have been bereaving and fuming about the Pavilion's closing for a long, long time now. I even had a letter to the editor printed in The State newspaper, to no avail of course. So, I am relieved by what I just read on the Pavilion website (which I got from the picture of the sign posted on this thread above), www.mbpavilion.com:

The old carousel, German band organ, and much more will not only be safe, but will remain in Myrtle Beach, and even may be incorporated into whatever replaces the park! :yahoo:

B&C finally listened to us for once.

Good news, Zahc: The classic wooden coaster The Swamp Fox is not going anywhere, because it is in the other amusement park down Ocean Boulevard. (I think it's called Family Fun Park, or something like that. It is also the park that has the classic Himalaya ride.) The coaster you see here, the Hurricane, is not old nor wooden. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll start with this great aerial photo of the Pavilion, courtesy of Google Earth.

aerial.jpg

--------------------------

I took the following photos on Saturday Sept. 23, 2006. This was one day prior to the final public day of operation.

-------------------------

The park opened at 1pm and this was the line at the Ocean Blvd. entrance at 1:08pm (according to the time stamp on my camera).

IMG_0007.jpg

The entrance on 9th Ave. was even more crowded at 1:10pm.

IMG_0012.jpg

-----------------------

The rest are just random photos that speak for themselves in many ways.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg