Would You Live/Retire in a Foreign Country?

crossroad

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably would prefer to live/retire in Canada if I had the means.

Europe is wonderful too, but I just couldn't live where I constantly have to breathe in cigarette smoke. Doesn't everyone smoke over the age of ten in France? I understand only a few places in the UK have public smoking restrictions in all the EU. yikes!

Vancouver sounds real nice:)

I probably would prefer to live/retire in Canada if I had the means.

Europe is wonderful too, but I just couldn't live where I constantly have to breathe in cigarette smoke. Doesn't everyone smoke over the age of ten in France? I understand only a few places in the UK have public smoking restrictions in all the EU. yikes!

Vancouver sounds real nice:)

I would consider retiring in another country, if not working in a foreign country... unfortunately I hate really hot weather, so I wouldn't mind Canada... or if I'm nice and rich, a nice big house on Lake Superior..

Who knows though.. with global warming, Minnesota might be too hot for me when I retire. I might be enjoying the warm breeze and nice warm waters... and 24 hours of daylight... of the Arctic ocean.. in Barrow, Alaska, when I retire.

Though I'm a LONG way away from retiring, I've thought about it. But, it seems to me that the nice countries (like my Mom's naitive Austria) tend to be either too liberal or too expensive (or in the case of Austria + the rest of Europe, both), and the affordable ones (like Mexico + other central/south American countries) have some great climate and culture but are not really safe as far as break-ins, mugging, etc. goes.

The exception might be some of the caribbean islands and Australia, but I know next to nothing about them.

Climatewise, I wouldn't mind Portugal for the Californialike weather. I hear the golf is great there too.

Activitieswise, I'd choose Chile for the skiing and wines.

Lifestylewise, I'd pick Australia for the easygoing folks.

Scenerywise, definitely Austria. Nothing beats the Alps.

Alternately, I'd really like to live in the desert. I'd always thought of myself as living in the Mojave ultimately, so maybe Mexico wouldn't be a bad choice after all?

I would say Austria is more conservative than the U.S in many respects. School children still get every Catholic church holiday off from schools, stores close on these days... there's little or no shopping on Sundays.. shops close by 6pm...

They elected the FPO into power, the freedom party, which supports very strict controls on immigration, and the other VPO, the peoples' party, supports strongly, family values and more free market policies.

Yes, Austria has a bigger welfare state than the U.S, and they have a higher life expectancy, a lower poverty rate, and generally better educated students to show for it.

If a healthy, educated citizenry is too liberal, then I guess you might try staying right here in the U.S.

Though I'm a LONG way away from retiring, I've thought about it. But, it seems to me that the nice countries (like my Mom's naitive Austria) tend to be either too liberal or too expensive (or in the case of Austria + the rest of Europe, both), and the affordable ones (like Mexico + other central/south American countries) have some great climate and culture but are not really safe as far as break-ins, mugging, etc. goes.

The exception might be some of the caribbean islands and Australia, but I know next to nothing about them.

Climatewise, I wouldn't mind Portugal for the Californialike weather. I hear the golf is great there too.

Activitieswise, I'd choose Chile for the skiing and wines.

Lifestylewise, I'd pick Australia for the easygoing folks.

Scenerywise, definitely Austria. Nothing beats the Alps.

Alternately, I'd really like to live in the desert. I'd always thought of myself as living in the Mojave ultimately, so maybe Mexico wouldn't be a bad choice after all?

I would say Austria is more conservative than the U.S in many respects. School children still get every Catholic church holiday off from schools, stores close on these days... there's little or no shopping on Sundays.. shops close by 6pm...

They elected the FPO into power, the freedom party, which supports very strict controls on immigration, and the other VPO, the peoples' party, supports strongly, family values and more free market policies.

Yes, Austria has a bigger welfare state than the U.S, and they have a higher life expectancy, a lower poverty rate, and generally better educated students to show for it.

If a healthy, educated citizenry is too liberal, then I guess you might try staying right here in the U.S.

I'm just not convinced that somewhere like Austria is too liberal or too expensive.. :)

I mean... a half liter bottle of good Austrian beer is €0.79 at the local Spar or Billa.. and that's even a bit expensive.

We're talking about a place where a 2 liter bottle of wine (Three Musketeers.. yuck) is $2!!! So, it's not a joy to drink, and it's not a joy to wake up the next morning.. but it's a great night out on the cheap...

This is a country where everybody smokes, eats wienerschnitzel (breaded and fried veal), and downs mass amounts of alcohol... and they STILL live longer than us. It must be the clean mountain air or the funny green little feather hats. :)

I think Canada is fairly benign when it comes to relations to Americans. I think they are smart enough to realize that Bush and his GOP cohorts that are the problem and not the American people as a whole. However if its Europe, there might be a bit of a problem for Americans visiting or living over there esp. in countries that are vividly against the Iraq War like France. But once that war is said and done with (hopfully soon) and Bush is no longer president, thing might cool down to the pre Iraq War conditions.

I would love to live in a foriegn country. In fact Ive given considerable thought to moving to Toronto, but what worries me are the cultural differences and more importantly the relations between Americans and foriegners. :unsure:

I wouldn't mind living in Toronto, from what I have read about it. British Columbia might also be a possibility.

As for Europe, I love Germany (Frankfurt & Munchen), Italy (Milano), the Republic of San Marino, Switzerland (Lugano), France (Paris), and would be willing to try Wien and Salzburg in Austira. I would also be willing to check out Spain (Madrid and Barcelona).

Archived