Downtown living

spltend

Hi there,

I will be graduating next summer and was considering Nashville for my new destination. I want to live in a bigger city right in the middle of downtown, walking distance from all the cool stuff downtown has to offer (food, bars, shopping, etc). I was thinking of buying a 1 or 2 br condo. I've noticed that Nashville has a lot of either new condominiums or ones that are planned to be built in the near future. In fact it seems to be expanding faster than most other cities I've looked into.

My questions are

1. What is downtown like? Is there a main area where the nightlife happens? Is there plenty to do downtown day and night? Are there other neighborhoods close by that have a nightlife of their own if I would want something other than downtown some night? I've heard its a very clean city. I've never been obviously, but I have been to cities like Charlotte and Memphis, how does Nashville compare?

2. Can you recommend any buildings I could check out that are walking distance (6 blocks or closer) to downtown fun in the range of $150-$250K?

3. Is downtown safe? I know all cities has their usual risks, but is it safer than Memphis?

4. I'm not a huge fan of country, more of a rock and roll kinda of guy. I don't mind a country bar, but am I gonna be able to find a good rock bar too?

Thanks a ton!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi there,

I will be graduating next summer and was considering Nashville for my new destination. I want to live in a bigger city right in the middle of downtown, walking distance from all the cool stuff downtown has to offer (food, bars, shopping, etc). I was thinking of buying a 1 or 2 br condo. I've noticed that Nashville has a lot of either new condominiums or ones that are planned to be built in the near future. In fact it seems to be expanding faster than most other cities I've looked into.

My questions are

1. What is downtown like? Is there a main area where the nightlife happens? Is there plenty to do downtown day and night? Are there other neighborhoods close by that have a nightlife of their own if I would want something other than downtown some night? I've heard its a very clean city. I've never been obviously, but I have been to cities like Charlotte and Memphis, how does Nashville compare?

2. Can you recommend any buildings I could check out that are walking distance (6 blocks or closer) to downtown fun in the range of $150-$250K?

3. Is downtown safe? I know all cities has their usual risks, but is it safer than Memphis?

4. I'm not a huge fan of country, more of a rock and roll kinda of guy. I don't mind a country bar, but am I gonna be able to find a good rock bar too?

Thanks a ton!

spltend, welcome to the forum.

It is always great to hear that someone new wants to move to our great city. Just curious though, if you've never been what makes you want to move here? Is it something you've heard/seen? Where do you live now?

Well, to answer your questions, I'll give you what I know. You will need the input of others(I live in a close suburb, but not the core), but I'll give you what I can.

Downtown is a great mix of things. It is mostly an entertainment/business district. Business hours are the peak for the area. Many cities I have been to die off after these hours. Nashville is blessed with many GREAT cultural venues for entertainment. The Titans on Sundays, the mother-effing Predators on other nights, the symphony, T-pac(plays and such), and a decent collection of parks and small things like coffee shops. Residential life is somewhat lacking, but on a MAJOR upswing! Things are only improving. All within walking distance.

As you have asked, yes, there are many amazing different neigborhoods close buy that cater to anyone. Club scene:2nd ave College student:hillsboro village alternative:elliston place country:broadway gay:church st. yuppie:green hills professional:west end and there are many great ethnic scenes in the mix. other area's cater to anyone. 12th south, Germantown, Five Points, Music Row. Put it this way, the Southern Baptist Convention headquarters is 2 blocks from a strip club!

Yes, we are a clean city. Like you mention every city has it's problems but you can honestly walk in most parts of Nashville (anywhere in the core) at anytime of day safely. Countless bachelorette parties has my girlfriend been downtown with only girls and I don't worry. Besides safety, typical city smells are to a minimum, panhandling is tolerable, and neccesities are obtainable.

As far as what particular building to live in, I can't help you. Besides the fact that it would be inappropriate(UrbanPlanet is NOT a real estate forum), I simply am just not "in the know". But you can look around our forum and see how many exciting new projects are happening in this city! Honestly, there is a good(but small) number of condo's in the core that are not in some big/highrise development. This is where you might want the advice of others. Shortly though, Nashville is an affordable city.

Country. It is huge here, but also a very touristy thing. After being here a while one learns to appreciate that it is a good industry for our city, and the "honky tonks" can be quite fun! Having said that I can't stand country!! There is a great rock scene. Keep in mind that country might be the focus, this IS Music City. Don't plan on getting signed to a label here as a rock band, but there is a limitless amount of places to play. Small bars, big clubs, and huge venues. Don't forget the world famous(very intimate) Ryman. The acoustics there are phenominal! And if your into it, a short drive to Manchester (Bonnaroo) with about 100k hippies and 150 bands. Any great band you want to see comes to Nashville.

Now after alot of cheerleading, I must name a few drawbacks. Mass-transit is a joke. If you don't want to drive, fugetaboutit. Religion, can at times, be a little over-bearing. The food can be kind of regional (although we have good sushi, mexican and cajun foods, as well as international markets). Sprawl is a growing problem, just like anywhere in the south.

Jobs are good, Healthcare is top-shelf, schools are decent(higher education is above-par), the airport has good connections(check Lexy's airport thread), crime is low, diversity is nice(largest Kurdish population on Earth) prices are great. Basically, overall quality of life is hard to match in this country. Check any recent survey and you'll see what I am talking about.

.....Did I leave anything out?

hope this helps, and good luck with your decision. By the way, if you need help in your decision come visit for a few days, go to a Predators game and you'll see what I'm talking about first hand.

Awesome info. I totally forgot about the predators and Bonnaroo, I've been wanting to goto Bonnaroo but it's always been so far and conflicted with school. Right now I'm in Dallas doing an internship for school, but my home town is Erie, PA (pop 100K). So basically I wanted to find a bigger city (at least 400K) with better climate (mild 4 seasons) with a low cost of living (compared to DC/NYC) w/ pro sports (mainly football, but hockey is awesome too) a good music scene, and lots of outdoor activities outside of the city i live in.

So right now I would say Nashville is my main option just from what I've read about it. I was also considering Charlotte, Austin, Dallas, and even DC.

I really like what I've read about Nashville's DT being on the upswing. Even though I'd prob never live in it, the Signature Tower sounds awesome. I'm actually planning a couple visits to Nashville w/ a couple friends of mine through potential companies we may work for.

I visited Charlotte last September and really liked the DT area during the day and afternoon, but the evening into the night it seemed like it really got quiet (granted it was Monday, but I expected more ppl out). I mean one of the bars someone recommeded to us wasnt even open on Monday!

So are all the neighborhoods you mentioned within close prox to each other? Are they all part of DT, cause I like the idea of a variety of neighborhoods close together (walking distance or short cab ride).

Thanks for all the info

Well, most of the neighborhoods mentioned are fairly close to each other. But a short cab ride is the norm. Most area's are very walkable, but are not always connected to the next neighborhood. It really just depends on your own feet. I personally consider anything 10 blocks or less very acceptable, although I know some people that beotch and moan after walking a hundred yards.

To make it more easily undestandable, check out any map we have here. Downtown/SoBro is easily walkable as well as Vanderbilt/Belmont, Music Row/Gulch, West End/Centennial Park. But I wouldn't try to walk from one of these areas to another(example: SoBro to Belmont would be miserable) But any of these are a short/cheap cab fare.

The good thing is that most major entertainment venues are all within walking distance. LP Field (Titans), GEC (Preds/concerts), The Ryman, Hall of Fame, Schemerhorn Sympony Center, Riverfront park, and soon to come minor league baseball park are all within easy walking distance of each other with limitless bars/restaurants in between.

P.S.- We have a helluva 4th of July display!

Another thing to consider is that, now that you're graduating, you won't remain static. You'll get older, your tastes in everything from music, food, clothes, other entertainment will gradually change as you do. Nashville is well prepared to offer things to you and your future family should you choose to have one, that will follow you and provide enjoyment to you throughout the coming years. If you're as lucky as I've been, in 30 years when you're an old geezer like me, you'll still have your friends that transcend all ages, education and employment levels...and all because of a common bond, the love of your city, whether native or adopted. I'm sure any of your cities being considered share similar traits, but here in Nashville, I know for a fact that the people who are here, no matter where they're from, provide what I'd like to think is a unique common bond and that's an unabashed enthusiasm for our environment.

When you look at the cities on your prospect list, visit them, and look at the people around you. Look at their faces, see what they're doing, hear what they're saying....see if they're smiling or not. A huge number of people you'll find in Nashville, and this is my opinion based on being here for over 50 years, are thinkers, creators, teachers. The words less plastic and materialistic come to mind (I know guys, there are exceptions, many exceptions), and when you seek that out, you often feel surrounded by people of similar ilk. If you want plastic, well, you'll have plenty of company, but if you want to be a part of a larger creative class, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better place.

I sound like somebody's father. Drat.

Now, we return you to the bars. :)

Nashville has the largest population of Kurds in the United States. While significant, that population is only several or more thousand (as ATLBrian pointed out). There are far greater numbers in many countries outside Kurdistan.

Think about it--worldwide, there are tens of millions of Kurds.

So tell me a little more about The Gulch. Is it already pretty far along? I hear it is the next hot spot and will cater to a younger crowd. Is this now, or in the future...and if so, how far into the future? Also, is the Gulch still part of DT? Would it be walking distance to the future baseball stadium or even to where the Sig Tower is going to be?

The Gulch will definitely be one of the major hot spots near DT. There's several condo towers being built right now with more proposed. The Gulch isn't yet what it's going to be, but it's picking up speed. There's a few really cool restaurants already opened, with more planned...and I'm pretty sure there will be some cool retail soon as well.

As far as location to DT...it's in between DT and Music Row. As of right now...it wouldn't be the most fun walk to the ballpark...the gulch is around 12th avenue and the ballpark will be close to 2nd avenue. You're pretty close to some decent night life on Demonbreun at Music Row.

If you want to be DT and close to the ballpark, the Encore sounds promising (hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying that?). Rolling Mill Hill, or even finding someone who might sell you a condo in the new Viridian tower (it's sold out and just opened.)

Just search for the threads on the Gulch, SoBro or Music Row to find out more.

:shok: WOW, that kurdish population statistic is very impressive! Where are all the mosques? I want to see some big mosques built in Nashville, that would be awsome!

Regarding some of your questions new person:

Nashville is safer than Memphis

Downtown Nashville air-quality is very bad in my opinion. I lived DT for 2 years (1st. Ave. North) and was very unhappy with the air quality. I don't mind noise (which you will get with any city) but I think something about the geography of nashville (not to mention the major interstates circling downtown) concentrates pollution in the core. If air quality matters to you then I recommend some place on the southern, southwestern, or western fringe. Smyrna is nice. Dickson has really clean air in my opinion. So does Ashland city, as long as you're upwind of the industrial districts. Kingston Springs has really good air quality, and relatively low property taxes since it's in Cheatham County. Spring Hill is relatively clean considering the saturn plant is close by, so for that reason I recommend Thompson Station or Eagleville over Springhill.

spltend,

titanhog is right, the walk would not be fun. The problem though is not how many blocks away it is, but that there is a railyard inbetween. From the Gulch you would kinda have to walk back a block, across a bridge and then down 10 blocks. Do-able, but long.

However, this could also be a huge benefit (pending the expansion of the Music City Star commuter rail) as the Gulch would be the hub of mass transit in the city. But this is probably 8-15 years away at best

In a few years it will be a fabulous neigborhood! Probably one of the most walkable in the city.

I live in the Gulch and we walk to the hockey games all the time. Since the new Demon. bridge was completed it doesn't take 10 minutes to get there. Going to the (Sounds) ballpark will be a little more of a hike, but it may not be too bad.

The Gulch is pretty accessible to downtown and midtown which makes it one of the most convenient places to live. And it is one of the relatively pedestrian friendly areas and will be more so in the future . . . I noticed on the new plan for downtown that a greenway is proposed along the railroad tracks from the Gulch to the Bicentennial Mall.

ok, i'm starting to get an idea of the neighborhoods now. someone told me that most of the country themed bars are close together in one location. would this be the area around 2nd ave between broadway and church? i'm sure once i move there, i will probably go to just about all the bars eventually, but i'd like to live closest to the ones that are more chill or rock themed, is that more how the gulch is going to end up?

is sobro going to expand anything like the gulch is? it seems to be a really good walking location from looking at the maps.

most of the country themed bars are on lower broadway...the ones actually on 2nd ave between broadway and church are a much better mix

I also wouldn't expect SoBro to expand like the gulch. it will expand a lot, but it won't be turning into nearly as much of a trendy nightlife spot, in my opinion

Hard to say about the wait. It's in its infancy, with the Icon (?) being built right now and it's sold out. The Terrazo should start taking shape really soon, and it's not sold out. The Rhythm lofts are really close to the Gulch and aren't sold out...but I don't think any of these will be open by summer '07.

anyone have any info on condo's in the Gulch he could move in this summer?

Hard to say about the wait. It's in its infancy, with the Icon (?) being built right now and it's sold out. The Terrazo should start taking shape really soon, and it's not sold out. The Rhythm lofts are really close to the Gulch and aren't sold out...but I don't think any of these will be open by summer '07.

anyone have any info on condo's in the Gulch he could move in this summer?

Archived