*Detroit's Sherwood Forest Neighborhood*

Chow

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is certainly a nice well kept neighborhood, but these kinds of neighborhoods are a minority in the City.

I have spent a significant amount of time in the City doing internship and master's projects, and I can say that the City is predominantly run-down and or abondoned. Not that is necessarily a bad thing. Especially for those of us urbanists that revel in grittiness.

This area is not near the CBD.

If I remember correctly this area is either out near the city limits on the nrothside or adjacent to Indian Village neighborhood on the eastside.

BTW, I do realize that this is not what the majority of the neighborhoods in Detroit look like. The majority of the homes are much smaller, often bungalows. Some are run down, others are well cared for. There are also newer homes built between 1945 & 1955 closer to the city borders. It is a city of contrasts. Nice neighborhoods, and some, well, not so nice ones.

This neighborhood is at 7 mile and Livernois, adjacent to Palmer Woods (another nice neighborhood) and just north of University (yet another nice neighborhood).

Yes Detroit does have a lot of blight, there are quite a few nice neighborhoods.

This neighborhood is at 7 mile and Livernois, adjacent to Palmer Woods (another nice neighborhood) and just north of University (yet another nice neighborhood).

Oh, ok. I'm not real familar with the area yet. I'm moving down to Southfield to go to school in the fall, so I'll have a better chance to get to know the city then.

The tree cover looks very nice. How much do theses homes cost generally speaking?

Haha. Shall we play a guessing game? How much do you think a house like this in a neighborhood like this would cost you?

Nah, I'll just tell you. It really depends on the size of the house. The larger ones start around $350,000, but you can still get a good-sized (2000 sqft) home in the area for $150,000. It all depends. Real estate in Detroit is a bargain compared to other cities though, simply because it's in Detroit. Even in the nice neighborhoods the houses are relatively inexpensive.

Archived