Selwyn Farms Area

cyrusuncc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in between that area in a neighborhood called Sedgefield, which is smack in the middle between South Blvd. and Park Rd. I'm right off of Marsh Rd, so I know exactly what you are talking about. As for the condo project currently being built, that is a project called Parkwood Knoll. It's supposedly ultra-luxury, as that's the types of homes going in that area. Believe it or not, many of the homes in my area are going for mid $400s - $700s for a newly refurbed home, and we're only talking 1500 sq. ft max. That's how rediculous this area has become.

As for the Parkwood Knoll project, it ought to be very successful as the quality and worksmanship used to construct this is quite amazing, as I pass it everyday to and from work. I rarely see a building constructed of actual REAL stones and full bricks along with windows that cost $2000 a piece and a slate roof as I was lucky enough to see what materials they used to build this project. If anyone in the construction industry would know, a building of that calibur using those kind of materials would cost over $10 mil to build. I just don't see how the builder will make any money off of this project, but I sure do know that the buyers so far will be more than thrilled to know that their structure will be there til the day they die. If you research that area just alittle more, you'd see that it presents a mine, as it is centrally located right in the middle of Myers Park, Dilworth (East Blvd), 5 min to downtown, 1/4 mile from the light rail station platform off New Bern St., 2 miles from South Park, Selwyn and Queens Rd, and walking distance to the YWCA and necessity stores and restaurants.

Knowing me and many people out there, it presents a BEST of everything, as I love uptown, but hate living right in the middle of it, I love SouthPark, but I can't stand the traffic, I love conveinence, but I'd like to have some peace and quiet, and I love to live in a safe area, as this is certainly one.

And as for the Summit on the Park apartments that are now fenced off on Marsh Rd., Crescent Resources of Duke Power (builders of the Piedmont Row condos in SouthPark) are building 97 condos starting Jan 2007. They spent $2.75 mil on that small 2.8 acres of land, when the apartment management company bought it a year ago for alittle over $1 mil! Quite amazing, I'd say...but Doug Smith did an article on it a little over a week ago, and Crescent is betting that this area will become the next living mecca in Charlotte, ala Myers Park and Dilworth. That's why they spent crazy money on just the land. Now they're going to have to tear the old buildings all down and rebuild 1 bd lofts and 2 bd condos. It'll be interesting what they'll be asking for on it...but Doug Smith kinda indicated that since this is an ultra-luxury condo project, the pricing will be along the lines of Rosewood, Queens 626, and the Vue.

All I've got to say is, this area certainly has the charm. People are knocking on my door on a monthly basis asking if I'd sell my house to them so that they can buy the land up and build condos and townhomes on. You should see the look on their faces when I look at them and just laugh.

Cyrus:

You hit it right on the nail. I am right by the side closest to S.Blvd. My home is actually on Marsh Rd. closer to the side where Burger King and the Home Economist Market is. I think the walk is about .10 of a mile to where the New Bern station is at. All I can say is that I think anything within a 3 mile radius from this station and the station off of Tremont will be HUGE! Property values have doubled since I bought my home 2 years ago, and there is no doubt that this is the reason why Crescent Resources is building a 97 unit condo off of Marsh and Park Rd. and paid a hefty premium for that 2.8 acres of land. For the price they paid, it is about the same price/sq. ft that Uptown Charlotte is commanding. They KNOW what they are doing...

And this is another reason why I think the new condo project off of Park within walking distance to Crescent's new site will be a big hit. I think the project is called Parkwood Knoll, but I know that given its location where it is close to everything but also provides some serenity and peace with living and the quality of the materials used, I anticipate anything within this area to sell out. You can already see that SF homes in this area are selling like hotcakes even though they are commanding anywhere from 175/sq ft up to 300/sq. ft for a renovated home. Go figure...

I've been watching Madison Park (Woodlawn to Tyvola) creep up from the $150K to $250K range in just 3 years. Property values have increased at a moderate pace in suburban neighborhoods overall, but the "next" areas beyond of Dilworth/Myer's are definately getting noticed, and bought up.

I've been watching Madison Park (Woodlawn to Tyvola) creep up from the $150K to $250K range in just 3 years. Property values have increased at a moderate pace in suburban neighborhoods overall, but the "next" areas beyond of Dilworth/Myer's are definately getting noticed, and bought up.

You are exactly right....Madison Park, although doesn't have the charm like Sedgefield does yet, is up and coming. It's amazing that anywhere around where the light rail platform is located, property values have skyrocketed. It's sad in a way, because in my neighborhood in Sedgefield, you are seeing all the bankers, execs, and out of towners buying these homes, along with immoral investors who come in targeting ONLY senior citizens who've owned these homes for 40 years plus, only to lowball them to get their homes. I've heard of several who've used the tactic of "well, you bought your home in 1960 for $2000, I'll give you $100,000, that's 50x return, you can't get any better." What's even worse is those type of investors only put $10-20k in their investment after they buy these homes that need major renovation, and they try to sell for $350k. I guess that's why you see their homes on the MLS much longer, because if a nicely remodeled home was to be on the market here, it'd be snatched up in days, not months. Serves them right....I don't condone that kind of abuse, and luckily, these so-called investors are getting what is coming to them.

I'd like to see some of the 50's/60's era homes in those neighborhoods updated or changed to modern-looking houses, but I'm not quite sure how you'd update them - or if you did how much it would stick out in the neighborhood. Wonder if people would buy the one house that is out of character with the rest on the street.

I'd like to see some of the 50's/60's era homes in those neighborhoods updated or changed to modern-looking houses, but I'm not quite sure how you'd update them - or if you did how much it would stick out in the neighborhood. Wonder if people would buy the one house that is out of character with the rest on the street.

Once you get out to Madison Park/Huntingtowne Farms you see more 60's/70's modernist homes mixed with traditional split level/ranch style - I wouldn't worry too much about the modernist ones disappearing - there are probably enough younger/appreciative people out there to keep up the few there are in Charlotte. That's what I'm doing currently at least.

During my daily ride into work through this wedge of town I do wonder what will happen to all the 1000-1500sq ft houses just south of Sedgefield. Currituck and the South Blvd sides of Montclaire/Madison Park currently contain lots of old person owned, kinda run down houses that are sitting on very attractive land due to the light rail. As long as they don't get torn down in favor of big-box houses I'll be happy. Turning the nearest-to-light-rail .25 mile into townhouses in the style of Alexandria VA (probably my current favorite rail-transit centered neighborhood) might not be a bad idea either - increase density but keep the suburban feel of the neighborhoods intact - would blend well with the houses toward the Park Rd. side too imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I was checking the website for the project called Parkwood Knoll since I drive by it just about everyday to and from work, and I happened to see that the developers added pictures of the actual project to their website. Looks pretty good! I'm quite amazed that the actual project is really becoming to look more alike the renderings that was drawn way before this project started. I also looked at the Queens 626 condos that were being built, and for some reason the end result vs. their renderings just doesn't do it for me. The renderings looked amazing but the final result looked mediocre to me. I guess everyone has his/her own taste. Check out the pics on Parkwood Knoll's website though, it looks great IMO. www.parkwoodknoll.com

^Maybe some gargoyles? Nah, wrong style. I guess we'll have to wait for Charlotte condo developers next obsession: faux gothic.

I am excited to see the development at Marsh and Park, although I wonder how much infill over-burdened Park Road can handle going forward.

BTW, did I read on here that all of the land behind the YWCA has been assembled and will be a development focused on new modernest single family? Seems I heard or read that Little Hope Road (not the most uplifting street name) is where this will happen.

And I am in complete agreement that Madison Park and Collins Park are the next really hot neighborhoods. Madison Park in particular has well-built houses on huge lots with great trees and topography. I have many friends who bought houses in there back in the early 90s for under $100K. They are going to laugh all the way to the bank when (and if) they sell.

If that happened, my new suburban neighborhood idea wouldn't work. It would be a castle like set of condos in the center, then everything around it would be tutor style homes and townhomes. I was going to call it whispering kingdom.
Just wait, your idea will be stolen. Look for a Whispering Kingdom condo project announcement before the close of 2008.

BTW, did I read on here that all of the land behind the YWCA has been assembled and will be a development focused on new modernest single family? Seems I heard or read that Little Hope Road (not the most uplifting street name) is where this will happen.

You're correct about that modernist project on Little Hope Road. I've seen the plans and it's impressive. Very atypical of so much Charlotte development....no faux French Country or Greek Revival. I can't remember the name of it right off the top of my head, but I have a copy of the developer's initial plan and can look it up later. The only possible wrinkle is that the team that was first assembled to design/develop and market this project has fallen apart and I don't know if it's still going to take place as originally planned. I can check with my "source" and find out.

^Maybe some gargoyles? Nah, wrong style. I guess we'll have to wait for Charlotte condo developers next obsession: faux gothic.

I am excited to see the development at Marsh and Park, although I wonder how much infill over-burdened Park Road can handle going forward.

And I am in complete agreement that Madison Park and Collins Park are the next really hot neighborhoods. Madison Park in particular has well-built houses on huge lots with great trees and topography. I have many friends who bought houses in there back in the early 90s for under $100K. They are going to laugh all the way to the bank when (and if) they sell.

I've been watching Collins and Madison for 2 years. Totally agree. great to see the old (and somewhat connected) neighborhoods finding new life.

I heard about the Little Hope Rd. project. This was/is a Dwellings Realty development (Lexie Longstreet and Elizabeth Grillo). They hired architect and UNCC professor Peter Wong. They had project brochures on the Plaza Midwood home tour. I called Elizabeth about it a few months ago and she said they weren't ready to discuss it, except that prices would be in the $400K-$600K range. That was all I could get. Strange sales process. Even if you aren't ready, you try to sell, or at least you don't put people off. Anyway it seemed an odd response. Also, they had already distributed brochures and submitted renderings and site plans to the city and neighborhood.

Now all of a sudden Grillo is working at Benchmark Realty.

I hope whoever is still involved in the project can keep it going. It would be awesome. In fact it should be completed if only to balance out the chateau down the road.

I've been watching Collins and Madison for 2 years. Totally agree. great to see the old (and somewhat connected) neighborhoods finding new life.

I heard about the Little Hope Rd. project. This was/is a Dwellings Realty development (Lexie Longstreet and Elizabeth Grillo). They hired architect and UNCC professor Peter Wong. They had project brochures on the Plaza Midwood home tour. I called Elizabeth about it a few months ago and she said they weren't ready to discuss it, except that prices would be in the $400K-$600K range. That was all I could get. Strange sales process. Even if you aren't ready, you try to sell, or at least you don't put people off. Anyway it seemed an odd response. Also, they had already distributed brochures and submitted renderings and site plans to the city and neighborhood.

Now all of a sudden Grillo is working at Benchmark Realty.

I hope whoever is still involved in the project can keep it going. It would be awesome. In fact it should be completed if only to balance out the chateau down the road.

As I said, the "team" that was working to assemble this project has fallen apart. But the project may still be a go. I'll try to find out.

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to my source that was partially involved with the Modernist project off of Little Hope Road and was told that it's up in the air at the moment. Two of the financial backers of the development have come to a "parting of ways" which may threaten the entire thing. Or not....it just depends on how the chips fall.

IllusStrip.jpg

Charlotte. City of Fake Turrets (constructed of EFIS, of course).

I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I will be glad when the French chateau phase in new suburban Charlotte condos is over. I have to see one out my window here in Cotswold daily.

Is it EFIS? I haven't stopped but while driving by it looks all stone. Are the turrets (or as one of my co-workers calls the caps of them, "witches hats") EFIS?

I don't really like this style, but for some reason I don't really mind this project. Maybe a couple of the churches on Park that are semi-gothic make me feel like this fits in just a bit.

I believe the 1st floor turrets are ALL STONE, and the REST of the project is brick. I spoke with the developer of this project, and he indicated to me that everything is REAL, no EFIS stuff. In addition, just to see for myself, I went by there over the weekend to see for myself, and lo and behold, the workers there were laying EACH piece of stone on the turret piece by piece with grout. The materials are REAL, and no EFIS. As for the top of the turrets, the surrounds will be in REAL stone as well. The top of the turrets are REAL copper.

Although the look of the project itself is Gothic in nature, when it is all said and done, it's not a bad looking project. Yes, the project may lack in asthetics compared to the Rosewood at Providence, but we are talking about a complete different market and clientele between the two projects. Owners of this project will have the peace of mind in knowing that at least the building they purchased in will last for some time, unlike several other projects that fall apart after X number of years because of bad worksmanship or cost cutting materials used.

A couple things I really do like about Parkwood Knoll: it doesn't look like almost everything else being built that is of similar size (i.e. 2 or 3 floors of brick then one of EFIS, then a semi-flat flying roof, metal accents), and they used real/quality materials. It is different and the developer somewhat when out on a limb with the design and pulled it off -- thanks for not building another mini-Ratcliffe.

For this location in the city and particularly on Park Road, it fits.

The quality of the materials used is unquestioned, it is TOP NOTCH. I KNOW this because I drive through the place daily, and judging how it took the workers roughly 1 month just to do the stone facade on the turret amazed me. While the project doesn't HAVE all the features like a Rosewood or the VUE, and the styling can be questions, there is NO DOUBT on my mind that all the people buying into this project will enjoy it for years to come. Like I said, the project is NOT intended to be a one stop for ALL kind of place, like the VUE or Rosewood. The main intention is to have the MOST LUXURIOUS living, similar to your own SFH in Ballantyne or house in the suburbs, without having to sacrifice too much.

If everyone wanted to buy into the VUE or Rosewood, they would have already. You have to admit, while those places look amazing, I'd have to question the noise, traffic, parking, ease of entry, etc. You WON'T have that kind of problem in Parkwood Knoll, which is why I am considering it. Plus, the location is very good, as it gives me a 3 mile access to ALL the main places in Charlotte. If I were to live in Uptown, I'd have a nightmare getting out between 5-7 PM due to office workers or Bobcats games. While I like Rosewood, the number of units and possibility for distractions outweigh everything else. I want a place to LIVE and be able to come home without parties all over the place. Can I say the same with the VUE and Rosewood...not sure. But I can say, if I were to pick the VUE or Rosewood, I'd feel like living in college dorms all over again.

With that said, the project does look pretty good, and once it comes closer to completion, I think some of the people who originally turned down and ridiculed this project will see that it fits well in the area.

Archived