Selwyn Farms Area

cyrusuncc

Growing up in Charlotte, "Summit on Park" was always an eyesore. Not sure if the lot that has been sitting there 6+ months is much better, but I would take the architectural design (and mass/scale) of Belle Vita any day over what has formerly (& presently) been on that corner!!

• 1 month later...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Well it looks like we will be staring at that vacant lot for a bit longer. Just my opinion, but I think we dodged a bullet, as the design and context were completely wrong for that site.

As reported by Doug Smith yesterday, and I think mentioned on the "who is buying Condos" thread, Crescent has shelved Bella Vita indefinitely.

Some might be quick to use this as evidence that the sky is falling, but I think it shows that the Charlotte market is getting more sophisticated, and that pent up demand is finally close to being satsiated. That is to say, you can't throw up any building in an intown neighborhood and expect to be able to sell out at prices reflecting future value.

I think it's healthy that this has now been tabled, and hopefully a few more proposal out there are dropped, to keep supply relatively low, so that it doesn't affect the marketing efforts (and underwriting) for projects that actually make sense.

http://www.tranquilcourt.com

Tranquil Court is the next big thing!!!! Not too shabby for Crosland. I'm underwhelmed by the amount of retail, 1 upscale restaurant on the 1st floor with service related retail on the second floor. Overall however, I am pleased with the look and feel of the project, the renderings look real life. Four to Five Stories is going to be a lil large for the area though.

473-1003smith450.embedded.prod_affiliate.57.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know whats going on with the Woodlawn House? The building is fenced off on all sides and looks like it will be torn down.

Just asked the same question in another thread. I'm guessing another condo project? There are already condos going up where the old church was on woodlawn and 2 or 3 "1+ acre for sale" signs on Woodlawn between Park and South. I think there will be quite a bit of transformation in this corridor in the next 5 years - driven by the proximity to the light rail. Still think they need to extend the bike lanes on Woodlawn all the way to park if they want to encourage folks to use the rail. People get up to 55mph on that stretch of road.

I honestly hate Park Road. With the way it is designed it is SO easy to speed. Especially once you get south of Tyvola/Faireview and there are a lot less stop lights. It is very easy to go 55 mph or more on that stetch south of Tyvola. On any given day, even though the speed limit is 35, most traffic is going at least 45 or higher, and you get the effect of the fast people trying to drive around the people actually doing the speed limit. Park Rd is also a speed trap at night with cops everywhere since it is so easy to want to speed. I honestly think the road needs to be a lot more narrow and have a lot more traffic lights at intersections. I think that if they redesigned the road north of Woodlawn to be more like the East Blvd redsign, then that stretch will be a little better I think. The road is a nightmare with people making left turns and traffic backs up and people speeding everywhere trying to avoid hitting eachother. I also think that Park Rd shouldnt be 3 lanes in each direction near South Meck High.

It was built and used as a 45 mph road for some time. A South Meck cross country runner crossed the road without looking during practice one day back in '98 and was struck and killed by a car doing the speed limit. Friends and family successfully petitioned the city to have the speed limit lowered and it has been 35 mph ever since.

• 3 months later...

Looks like "SouthGate on Fairview" is about done. They have a model open.

2251703970_d70b7ecd97.jpg

I still don't really "get" this project. It is marketed to be upscale, and yet is close to such a noisy and busy intersection. :blink:

You can't forget about the sewage treatment plant accross park either, on days when the wind is going the right way its pretty nasty smelling. Busy intersections can be pretty bad views, but I could handle that. The first time it starts to smell is when I regret living there. I lived near a paper mill for a couple years, it was awful about 120 days a year.

• 4 years later...

Archived