Woodstock Community

strmchsr77

As long as that urbanity doesn't get spread so thin that it leaves Fayetteville trailing behind another nearby city that may end up becoming the focal point of the metro. Space is quickly running out in Benton County and "infill" and "vertical" may soon become common words up here. Especially at the pace Benton County is growing.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think one could argue that Fayetteville is already losing its place as the focal point of the metro.

Its certainly not as dominant as it was 5-10 years ago.

I don't think this way of developing has anything to do with that. Its more just a byproduct of a shift of money and population.

Downtown will ALWAYS be the focal point of Fayetteville, which is more of the concern expressed above. With the UA, Walton Arts, and city and county government offices, I don't see how downtown could ever be diminished by the spreading of a little real urbanity around town.

I agree that Fayetteville is not as dominant as it was a decade or so ago but I also don't think it is losing its place especially with all of the construction going on downtown. Benton County cities growth seems to be mostly tied to I-540, there is not near as much going on in their downtowns. What happens when the land along the interstate runs out? Will they start building up the downtowns or keep expanding outward?

• 2 months later...

Guess I shouldn't bee too surprised but there are some already complaining about this development as well. People already living in that general area don't like the idea of any rentals being around their area. They also don't like the idea of retail in their area either because it apparently will bring more crime to their area. :rolleyes: That last one really gets me. Nevermind the fact that hey maybe you'll have a place to shop that's much closer and easier to get to. I guess some people want to have to get in their vehicle and drive halfway across the city (complaining about the traffic too of course) to go shop any place.

Guess I shouldn't bee too surprised but there are some already complaining about this development as well. People already living in that general area don't like the idea of any rentals being around their area. They also don't like the idea of retail in their area either because it apparently will bring more crime to their area. :rolleyes: That last one really gets me. Nevermind the fact that hey maybe you'll have a place to shop that's much closer and easier to get to. I guess some people want to have to get in their vehicle and drive halfway across the city (complaining about the traffic too of course) to go shop any place.

I am a much bigger fan of this project than I ever was of the links. This fits in perfect with what the city has been wanting to do. I saw the report about everyone complaining about the traffic and rentals. This sort of development would not add near as much traffic as a normal subdivision would. It is designed so that you can live there and just walk down the street to the video store, restaurant, or office. I also don't know how anyone can say that there will be a bunch of rentals here, do they know what the units are going to be priced at?

The Planning Commission approved the development last night even with many neighbors complaints. This is the kind of project that Fayetteville has made a top priority. It is nice that even with the complaints that they stuck with it and approved a fantastic project like this. Now we will have to see if they council can hold up their end.

The Planning Commission approved the development last night even with many neighbors complaints. This is the kind of project that Fayetteville has made a top priority. It is nice that even with the complaints that they stuck with it and approved a fantastic project like this. Now we will have to see if they council can hold up their end.

Sounds like more and more people from west Fayetteville are speaking out against this development. I'm still rather surprised how strong of a reaction it's getting as well. I don't remember there being a big public outcry (aside from some of us on here) about The Links. Sounds like none of these people get New Urbanism at all. I hope the City Council goes ahead with it anyway. All I have to say is where were all these people at the City Plan 2025 meetings? I even attended the one they held for the western part of the city(along with some of the others). There was absolutely no one that spoke out against this type of New Urbanism style development. And before any of these people try to tell me that they didn't have time to attend that meeting I'd like to point out the city staggered the meetings at different times on different days in different areas of the city. Just to try to make sure everyone had a chance to go to one of them. At the meetings I attended I was very surprised to see so many people that seemed to agree on New Urbanism and even agreed about needing more density to keep sprawl in check. If so many people are against Woodstock you'd think at least a few of them could have taken the time to show up to these meetings. If none of these people can take the time to show up to any of these meetings then don't come whining to the city about how horrible this development is. As far as I'm concerned all of these people had their chances to speak their minds when we were deciding how to proceed with city development. It's too late now to complain.

I am surprised by it too.

Seriously, a monolithic apartment complex like the Links is going to no doubt hinder property value appreciation in your neighborhood.

A new urbanist development with substantial masonry buildings and interesting architecture is going to improve property values over time.

Yet people rally against the positive development, and say nothing about the giant apartment complex.

It makes no sense, but it just shows how uninformed many of these homeowners are.

Very frustrating.

I am surprised by it too.

Seriously, a monolithic apartment complex like the Links is going to no doubt hinder property value appreciation in your neighborhood.

A new urbanist development with substantial masonry buildings and interesting architecture is going to improve property values over time.

Yet people rally against the positive development, and say nothing about the giant apartment complex.

It makes no sense, but it just shows how uninformed many of these homeowners are.

Very frustrating.

Sounds like more and more people from west Fayetteville are speaking out against this development. I'm still rather surprised how strong of a reaction it's getting as well. I don't remember there being a big public outcry (aside from some of us on here) about The Links. Sounds like none of these people get New Urbanism at all. I hope the City Council goes ahead with it anyway. All I have to say is where were all these people at the City Plan 2025 meetings? I even attended the one they held for the western part of the city(along with some of the others). There was absolutely no one that spoke out against this type of New Urbanism style development. And before any of these people try to tell me that they didn't have time to attend that meeting I'd like to point out the city staggered the meetings at different times on different days in different areas of the city. Just to try to make sure everyone had a chance to go to one of them. At the meetings I attended I was very surprised to see so many people that seemed to agree on New Urbanism and even agreed about needing more density to keep sprawl in check. If so many people are against Woodstock you'd think at least a few of them could have taken the time to show up to these meetings. If none of these people can take the time to show up to any of these meetings then don't come whining to the city about how horrible this development is. As far as I'm concerned all of these people had their chances to speak their minds when we were deciding how to proceed with city development. It's too late now to complain.

Okay I did hear one of the Aldermen make a point about the development. Referring it to as 2025 Sprawl. I admit it would certainly be nicer to see some sort of development closer to the core of the city. But at the same time I just don't think that it's realistic. If the city isn't going to give any sort of incentives and then also puts low building height restrictions as well. I just don't see many developers trying to do some project like this closer to the city core. I also don't think there's any way someone could develop something this large closer to the city. But I guess what gets me is that some people seem to think that everything west of I-540 in Fayetteville needs to be suburban sprawl which I don't think this development is. Although it is happening further out I just don't consider this typical sprawl. This development is clearly designed in a New Urbanism style.

Okay I did hear one of the Aldermen make a point about the development. Referring it to as 2025 Sprawl. I admit it would certainly be nicer to see some sort of development closer to the core of the city. But at the same time I just don't think that it's realistic. If the city isn't going to give any sort of incentives and then also puts low building height restrictions as well. I just don't see many developers trying to do some project like this closer to the city core. I also don't think there's any way someone could develop something this large closer to the city. But I guess what gets me is that some people seem to think that everything west of I-540 in Fayetteville needs to be suburban sprawl which I don't think this development is. Although it is happening further out I just don't consider this typical sprawl. This development is clearly designed in a New Urbanism style.

It would be nearly impossible to find flat, open land that is priced cheap enough to do a project like this much closer to downtown. I don't think that they neighbors can do too much about this. This is the direction the city wants to go and it would look stupid to go back and not allow this.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the City Council will go have a look at this project site firsthand next Monday. All residents can attend the tour but I would bet the only ones that show up are those against it, sadly enough. I can't imagine the council voting against this seeing as how it's fits the 2025 plan. It may be out away from the central part of town now but in 20 years it won't be. If the western beltway is ever built that area will be the middle of town.

It was left on it's second reading at the last council meeting, so the time for a decision is getting near.

Looks like the City Council will go have a look at this project site firsthand next Monday. All residents can attend the tour but I would bet the only ones that show up are those against it, sadly enough. I can't imagine the council voting against this seeing as how it's fits the 2025 plan. It may be out away from the central part of town now but in 20 years it won't be. If the western beltway is ever built that area will be the middle of town.

It was left on it's second reading at the last council meeting, so the time for a decision is getting near.

Archived