Woodstock Community

strmchsr77

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm wondering how long before some areas of Benton County look back and wish they had developed those areas a little differently. I'm certainly glad to see Fayetteville being rather active in the new urbanism style neighborhoods. Maybe it's just because I live in Fayetteville but I rarely ever here any of these housing subdivisions up in Benton County by name. Just seems like the ones here in Fayetteville stand out.

Yeah, that is the area that I am from and most interested in. There is enough new construction in Fayetteville for me to keep up with and so I rely on everyone else to fill in for the rest of the metro. I also have not heard of too many N.U.'s going up in Benton County, are there very many?

• 3 weeks later...

I went exploring today to see if I could find the site. I may have found it. Not sure though. Off Rupple south of Wedington. Go down Broyles. There is a large dirt road leading toward Farmington. Three huge cranes and a rather interesting wooden dome? Any ideas if this is it or is it some bizarre Epcot in NWA?

I went exploring today to see if I could find the site. I may have found it. Not sure though. Off Rupple south of Wedington. Go down Broyles. There is a large dirt road leading toward Farmington. Three huge cranes and a rather interesting wooden dome? Any ideas if this is it or is it some bizarre Epcot in NWA?

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, the crains are for the waste water treatment facility ... Woodstock will face Highway 16 in the square area between N 46th, W. Persimmon and N. 54th ... There's an old house (w/ a brick entrance and tree-lined driveway) on the property now that's surrounded by a white fence and a few ponds.

• 4 months later...

There was an article in the paper about this development today. It appears that the project will start going through the planning process in the near future. Unfortunetly it will be around a year and a half before they start construction on the project. I don't see it having too much problem getting approved considering it is a New Urbanism style development. According to the developers, it will be "like taking a four-square block out of downtown and moving it to the suburbs." The picture in the paper shows many 3-6 story buildings that will contain commercial, office and residential space. This is then partially surrounded w/ condos and single family housing. Costs for housing are said to be in the range of $105K-250K. That is pretty affordable for Fayetteville.

Here is more information from the Times: Woodstock Community

There was an article in the paper about this development today. It appears that the project will start going through the planning process in the near future. Unfortunetly it will be around a year and a half before they start construction on the project. I don't see it having too much problem getting approved considering it is a New Urbanism style development. According to the developers, it will be "like taking a four-square block out of downtown and moving it to the suburbs." The picture in the paper shows many 3-6 story buildings that will contain commercial, office and residential space. This is then partially surrounded w/ condos and single family housing. Costs for housing are said to be in the range of $105K-250K. That is pretty affordable for Fayetteville.

Here is more information from the Times: Woodstock Community

This project really does sound great, at least from a cost of living standpoint. I'm still not sure what I think about these mini-downtowns all these huge developments are doing though, it seems like in the long run it won't really promote "city" infill at all, it'll just make a bunch of mini-towns. I wasn't even concerned when it was one project, or two talking about doing it, but now with a few going at it, I'm not sure what I think of it.

This project really does sound great, at least from a cost of living standpoint. I'm still not sure what I think about these mini-downtowns all these huge developments are doing though, it seems like in the long run it won't really promote "city" infill at all, it'll just make a bunch of mini-towns. I wasn't even concerned when it was one project, or two talking about doing it, but now with a few going at it, I'm not sure what I think of it.

I think its good. Downtown will always be downtown.

These little nodes of urbanity are how cities used to develop before tract housing and sprawl. It was a necessity to have retail nearby to serve the local population. Larger cities which are older have retail and restaurants all over the city in the older areas. Its wild to think about here in NWA pastureland, but in the long run it will make Fayetteville even more urban.

I think it will create real neighborhoods rather than sprawling suburbs which is a very good thing.

I see these developments as providing the "backbone" of the future city that will develop. They create focal points for different areas of town and over time, these will transition into denser mini-centers of activity.

The more the better IMO.

As long as that urbanity doesn't get spread so thin that it leaves Fayetteville trailing behind another nearby city that may end up becoming the focal point of the metro. Space is quickly running out in Benton County and "infill" and "vertical" may soon become common words up here. Especially at the pace Benton County is growing.

Archived