Woodstock Community

strmchsr77

The NWA Times article was good for a laugh- the neighbors referring to 3-4 story buildings as "megastructures" that they would have to drive by everyday was very funny. It's those type statements that undermined the credibilty of their objections, as did the comparisons to Dallas and Atlanta.

Alderman Cook's statement about building another city west of I540 at least shows that he recognizes that the area needs to be somewhat self-sufficent. The more services that are provided locally mean that much less traffic crossing I540. Hopefully this project will be a success that others will replicate.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised about a lot of the things I read in the article yesterday in nwanews.com, but I didn't have the time to come and post it. It turns out everyone has pretty much said what I wanted to say. I can't believe building impact and incompatibility were mentioned. This is west Fayetteville, right? Sprawlville... Lindseyville... 4 to 3 stories? wow!

I think the residents do have a valid point if they fear this thing not being built out all the way. I've got to admit I'm not too happy about these big plans intended to attract people but they don't get realized fully. Obviously the residential part will probably be built first before the "megastructures" go up. However, they won't say that as much as they'll say the end product will be realized eventually. I think the city might be well within it's rights to only hear about smaller parcels of the property at a time without having to approve the whole thing. There may not really be any "megastructures" but I would call it "megaplans". I don't know if Fayetteville is suitable for that kind of work yet, but I definitley like the designs and the ideas. We should be using smaller steps I suppose. All of these franchises put their time into those huge developments, where as there are a lot of smaller improvements projects more compatible with the size of the city and its industry.

I was surprised about a lot of the things I read in the article yesterday in nwanews.com, but I didn't have the time to come and post it. It turns out everyone has pretty much said what I wanted to say. I can't believe building impact and incompatibility were mentioned. This is west Fayetteville, right? Sprawlville... Lindseyville... 4 to 3 stories? wow!

I think the residents do have a valid point if they fear this thing not being built out all the way. I've got to admit I'm not too happy about these big plans intended to attract people but they don't get realized fully. Obviously the residential part will probably be built first before the "megastructures" go up. However, they won't say that as much as they'll say the end product will be realized eventually. I think the city might be well within it's rights to only hear about smaller parcels of the property at a time without having to approve the whole thing. There may not really be any "megastructures" but I would call it "megaplans". I don't know if Fayetteville is suitable for that kind of work yet, but I definitley like the designs and the ideas. We should be using smaller steps I suppose. All of these franchises put their time into those huge developments, where as there are a lot of smaller improvements projects more compatible with the size of the city and its industry.

Yes, it is a valid concern about the project being built part way and then abandoned. Nobody wants to see that and the performance bond should help ensure that it doesn't happen. Bonds like that and the Ren Tower contract where the developers are paying fines for not progressing as they were supposed to do are good tools and should be part of all large developments. I think that would make developers take a longer look at their plans and their feasibility.

Archived