Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowguy716

Rural MN

9 posts in this topic

Here are some photos of rural cities around Minnesota. The state has three very distinct regions, economically. First, you have the rich farming regions of the southeast, southwest, and northwest, the tourist/iron ore/timber areas of the north central and northeast, and the metro area.

The agricultural areas range from the rolling hills dotted with family farms that so many have romanticized in the SW to the flat prairie regions of the NW.

Here's a picture of Winona, MN in the southeast corner of the state:

vfiles16767.jpg

The centerpiece of German influence in southern and central MN, appropriately placed in New Ulm: Hermann the German (Hermann Denkmal)

monument1.jpg

A picture of Rochester, MN, the home of the Mayo Clinic and the southern axis of the "Golden Crescent"- A corridor of rapidly growing communities from Rochester, through the Twin Cities, and NW towards St. Cloud.

cfiles5371.jpg

Another very prominant area in the state's history has been the "Iron Range" focusing on the cities of Hibbing, Chisolm, Virginia, and onto Duluth. The region has had economic difficulties for the past 25 years due to low steel prices which have forced steel companies to look elsewhere for iron ore, but recent booms in construction in the middle east and in China have forced the price of steel up, and companies are once again looking to invest in the iron range:

Here's a few of Duluth:

cfiles2427.jpg

cfiles5089.jpg

We're about as far south as it gets to view the 'Northern Lights', but they are still stunning.

cfiles13002.jpg

Things are changing in the state though. Wind turbines are becoming a lucrative business for many farmers in western MN:

MN%20windfarm2.jpg

And people worry as this:

voyageurs-nationalpark.jpg

Is being encroached upon by this:

minneapolis3wv3.jpg

None of these photos are my own, and I ask you to give any acknowledgement to those websites which have provided the pictures.

Ive never been to Minnesota, but Duluth looks pretty nice. I like the mountains.

Looks lovely. I need to get up to Minnesota one of these days (not in the winter, though. New England is plenty cold enough for me :P ).

We're about as far south as it gets to view the 'Northern Lights', but they are still stunning.

They happen quite often, especially in the winter.. I'd say, I catch them just randomly about 2-3 times/year.. but I'm sure they occur many times without me even knowing.

I remember one time about 5 years ago, they were so vivid.. they occured right over the top of me and they were mostly red/orange and they came down in a showering motion but were dancing.. it was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced.

Duluth looks rather dense! I'd love to see the northern lights also. Thanks for sharing.

Cool pics! I didn't realize Duluth had that much terrain...

those dont look very rural but I've always been curious about Duluth and want to visit someday

Yeah, I should have titled the thread "Greater Minnesota"... I meant to look at areas outside of the Twin Cities metro... because Minnesota really only has one large metro area, we tend to refer to the state as "the Cities" and "out-state"...

It was meant to showcase some of the smaller cities not directly associated with Minneapolis/St. Paul... but also include some rural things.

Nice shots. :thumbsup: Your Duluth pics really stand out.