Pinnacle at Cross Creek/ DeVoe Moore Property

psycuda

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are exactly right South Park County! THIS is exactly what I have dreamed for Tallahassee to have. Of all the things I miss from South Florida, an Open Air Mall was one of my favorites. Take a look at their web site. It mentions that Tallahassee's Design will be based off the two previous Design from Pinnacle Turkey Creek in Knoxville, TN, and Colonial Pinnacle Tutwiler Farm, in Birmingham. These are beautiful. They remind me up-scale shopping in Destin Commons.

Retail - Colonial

Whether or not Tallahassee can support something isn't an issue of concern for me. The market will determine what survives. We are a growing city, we aren't stagnant, we aren't shrinking -- so if we can't support it immediately we'll quickly grow to. Who would have ever guessed that Valdosta could support a theme park? I guess what I'm trying to say is, competition is good for us. It

^ the development will be nice for those of us who live EAST of Tallahassee (there are quite a few of us!). Driving to Governor's Square is horrible and the Tallahassee Mall doesn't have the selection. I really think this location will be a good one for this type of a development... although I wish he'd build a baseball stadium there instead! :)

Possibilities exist for a baseball stadium in other places. I think you're right about there being plenty of people on your side of town who will greatly benifit from not having to drive too far to shop. Additionally the rest of the community stands to gain from this because that means less congestion on other roads such as Apalachee Parkway, Blairstone, Monroe, John Knox and others. I'm looking around now picturing Tallahassee 5 years from now and I see a true transformation from sleepy-Capital city to lively-midsized mecca. :)

Possibilities exist for a baseball stadium in other places. I think you're right about there being plenty of people on your side of town who will greatly benifit from not having to drive too far to shop. Additionally the rest of the community stands to gain from this because that means less congestion on other roads such as Apalachee Parkway, Blairstone, Monroe, John Knox and others. I'm looking around now picturing Tallahassee 5 years from now and I see a true transformation from sleepy-Capital city to lively-midsized mecca. :)

^Are you one of those people who tend to flock to the newest of things and completely abandon the old? This area where the new mall is being proposed will experience more growth to sustain what is new out here and what's to come of Gaines Street. Not everyone is interested in the revitalization of Gaines Street much the same way they aren't interested in a new mall, so there will be a balance. Nothing will be left deserted, we will just see a major expansion of our urban atmosphere.

^Are you one of those people who tend to flock to the newest of things and completely abandon the old? This area where the new mall is being proposed will experience more growth to sustain what is new out here and what's to come of Gaines Street. Not everyone is interested in the revitalization of Gaines Street much the same way they aren't interested in a new mall, so there will be a balance. Nothing will be left deserted, we will just see a major expansion of our urban atmosphere.

I can see this one working better just because it is right by the interstate. It will catch a lot of people on I-10 that will stop in to get out fo the car for a little bit. I can see it doing better than the Tallahassee Mall. I will be more likely to go to it than go across town to the other places.

• 2 weeks later...

A third question occurred to me...

Anyone heard of any other developments at the I-10/Hwy 90 interchange on the east side of town?

My situation is that the location where I live would preclude me from going out there except for infrequent occasions. Since I live north of Lake Jackson on Hwy. 27, it would be cost prohibitive for me to go all the way out there since the cost of gas is so high and likely to go higher in the long run. That's also why I hope Tallahassee Mall does not disappear.

I'm quite sure this won't hurt the Tallahassee mall as bad as many of us are speculating. The other major developmets at that Exit are of course, Welaunee Plantation (Pending), Summit East (seemingly booming), and another hotel which is being built on Walden across the street from DeVoe's property.

I'm quite sure this won't hurt the Tallahassee mall as bad as many of us are speculating. The other major developmets at that Exit are of course, Welaunee Plantation (Pending), Summit East (seemingly booming), and another hotel which is being built on Walden across the street from DeVoe's property.

I believe Mahan widening to I-10 is THE top priority of the MPO. However that still means nothing will even begin to happen until 2010 unless something changes for the better or worse.

TJ, I definitely disagree w/you on Pinnacle NOT hurting Tally Mall. I only see it NOT hurting Tally Mall if this development does NOT steal any of the anchors from Tally Mall. They are already in line to take some movie traffic away. If they take one or both anchors (Dillard's and/or Belk's) it's gonna hurt them very much. Our metro area and market area's size cannot support 3 Dillards and one will have to close. That means the Old Gayfer's locale is gone. I doubt any new department store anchors will move into this area b/c all the department stores are consolidating as it is. If Pinnacle gets Bass Pro and leaves the two main anchors intact at Tally Mall, then it will survive, if it takes them, Tally Mall as we currently know it will not survive. I've seen this type of thing happen countless times in metro's our size. Again I hope I'm wrong.

Beukeboom I understand what you mean about gas prices. Who knows what they'll be when Pinnacle is built. Pinnacle will be ten miles from I-10/N. Monroe via the Interstate. So while it maybe further from you than say Gov. Sq. aka The Disco Mall, since you'll be able to cruise down the freeway, you may be able to get to Pinnacle fast than The Disco Mall and save gas from all the starts and stops. Of course Tally Mall in whatever form is left will be much closer and less gas for you.

Oh yeah, TJ, the other motel coming to Exit 209 on I-10 is Country Inn and Suites.

With Mahan, it's a matter of finding the $40 Million or so to do the project at this point. As far as Tallahassee Mall, the rumors are already floating about Dillards moving out to Pinnacle and with Feldman looking at a potential buyer for all of their properties, who knows what will occur.

I believe Mahan widening to I-10 is THE top priority of the MPO. However that still means nothing will even begin to happen until 2010 unless something changes for the better or worse.

TJ, I definitely disagree w/you on Pinnacle NOT hurting Tally Mall. I only see it NOT hurting Tally Mall if this development does NOT steal any of the anchors from Tally Mall. They are already in line to take some movie traffic away. If they take one or both anchors (Dillard's and/or Belk's) it's gonna hurt them very much. Our metro area and market area's size cannot support 3 Dillards and one will have to close. That means the Old Gayfer's locale is gone. I doubt any new department store anchors will move into this area b/c all the department stores are consolidating as it is. If Pinnacle gets Bass Pro and leaves the two main anchors intact at Tally Mall, then it will survive, if it takes them, Tally Mall as we currently know it will not survive. I've seen this type of thing happen countless times in metro's our size. Again I hope I'm wrong.

Beukeboom I understand what you mean about gas prices. Who knows what they'll be when Pinnacle is built. Pinnacle will be ten miles from I-10/N. Monroe via the Interstate. So while it maybe further from you than say Gov. Sq. aka The Disco Mall, since you'll be able to cruise down the freeway, you may be able to get to Pinnacle fast than The Disco Mall and save gas from all the starts and stops. Of course Tally Mall in whatever form is left will be much closer and less gas for you.

Oh yeah, TJ, the other motel coming to Exit 209 on I-10 is Country Inn and Suites.

So, if this is a general mall (i.e. Sears, Pennys, Macys, etc) and not an outlet like Concord Mills, Opry Mills, etc... what happens to Tallahassee Mall and/or Governor's Square. What about the mall St. Joe wants Southside? I can't see this town supporting FOUR malls! Would make more sense to have a Mills type center (i.e. "Apalachee Mills") along the Interstate.

I don't agree with you, I think Tallahassee could support 4 malls. I don't think it will be a general mall. Today's trend is shifting away from your typical mall towards lifestyle centers or open air malls.

Tallahassee has an advantage being that it's considered the mecca for this area. People travel to T-town from miles around and 2 states to conduct business, eat and shop.

I'm from Lakeland, FL but I currently live in Tallahassee. Back home (in Polk County) we currently have 4 malls with 2 approved projects ahead (Posner Park, Town Center)

1)Town Center - N.E. Polk County, FL

2)Posner Park Center - Davenport, FL

3)Lakeland Square - Lakeland, FL

4)Lakeside Village - Lakeland, FL

5)Eagle Ridge - Lake Wales, FL

6)Citi-Place - Winter Haven,FL

Archived