Uptown Fayetteville Development Area

Mith242

We have a topic on some of the East Joyce Developments and though this area was big enough to have it's own as well. To start things off here's a pano shot I took earlier today of the future shopping center going in over on the corner of Joyce and Steele. You can also see a little work being done across the street on the future Malco Theater.

cmnmalcopanosy7.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't taken pics yet but it looks like it won't be too long before another office building will be open on Steele. There's already been one small office building open a little further down and Basset furniture. But I think it will be the Malco opening that really gets that section of that area going.

They have also broken ground on extending Van Asche to connect with Gregg Ave. This will give another good connector street to the area. There is also interest in taking Van Asche all the way to hwy 112 and I-540 at some point in the future. It does currently connect but there are many turns and stops and a section runs through Johnson. Also the Johnson cops like to give tickets on the road.

They have also broken ground on extending Van Asche to connect with Gregg Ave. This will give another good connector street to the area. There is also interest in taking Van Asche all the way to hwy 112 and I-540 at some point in the future. It does currently connect but there are many turns and stops and a section runs through Johnson. Also the Johnson cops like to give tickets on the road.

I knew they were going to be extending it but I hadn't realized they had already started work on it. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention last time I was over there.

• 3 weeks later...

You can really tell that the fast food industry is competing for customers out there. I saw Taco Bueno, Taco Bell, and Arby's all in the same area. All are relatively new.

Yeah north Fayetteville is where much of the chains are located. A number of them are the fast food type. Although there are quite a few along College Ave as well.

• 1 year later...

This is a repost from the East Joyce Topic.

Another large development may be coming to Joyce Blvd soon. This is actually on west Joyce on the Johnson/Fayetteville city line. I believe it is just west of Buffalo Wild Wings. It will be called The Steps at Joyce and will be using a TIF for financing. The entire project contains around 25 acres and will be built in phases as the market allows. The development will include Luxury homes, condos, apartments, upscale dining, commercial, and office space. The project will be upscale but pedestrian friendly with great views of Fayetteville. It will have nearly 500,000 sq ft of commercial/office space and around 700 residences. Sounds like another great project but Paradigm Development still has not gotten much work done on Park West. I was really looking forward to that development. They do have a newly designed website but it is not very informative.

The Johnson city council approved the TIF and the plan for The Steps at Joyce last night. There was not too much more information on what the project will consist of but there was a rendering on the front page of the NWA Times this morning. The picture showed a good sized biulding, I would guess 8-10 stories or more. I am not sure if it will be commercial/office/residential or a mix of all. The developer also called the project "the Rodeo Drive of Northwest Arkansas." He also mentions that he believes that we are at the bottom of the market slump and we will begin to pick back up by later this year. (I certainly hope he is right but I have my doubts). If everything works out there should be shops and restaurants open in less than 18 months. I also hope that Paradigm Development has not dropped their other large project, Park West.

Here is the article from the Times: The Steps at Joyce gets approval.

The Johnson city council approved the TIF and the plan for The Steps at Joyce last night. There was not too much more information on what the project will consist of but there was a rendering on the front page of the NWA Times this morning. The picture showed a good sized building, I would guess 8-10 stories or more. I am not sure if it will be commercial/office/residential or a mix of all. The developer also called the project "the Rodeo Drive of Northwest Arkansas." He also mentions that he believes that we are at the bottom of the market slump and we will begin to pick back up by later this year. (I certainly hope he is right but I have my doubts). If everything works out there should be shops and restaurants open in less than 18 months. I also hope that Paradigm Development has not dropped their other large project, Park West.

Yeah I saw that. He's referring to it as a mixed-use development that will have a little of everything, including some condos. I'm wondering if the taller building in the rendering will be just a hotel/condo building or maybe just a condo building with some retail on the lower floors. It's a bit of a risk doing it at this time. There are some who also question the idea of making it a TIF. Which I think I'd have to agree with what I've heard others say here on UP. I can see setting up a TIF to help renovate an older run-down area of the city. But to set up a TIF for something that's an empty field, I don't know. Calling it the Rodeo Drive of NWA sounds like a big stretch. But I did like the idea of trying to make it more pedestrian friendly. Especially since the area and northern Fayetteville aren't exactly known for that.

The Johnson city council approved the TIF and the plan for The Steps at Joyce last night. There was not too much more information on what the project will consist of but there was a rendering on the front page of the NWA Times this morning. The picture showed a good sized biulding, I would guess 8-10 stories or more. I am not sure if it will be commercial/office/residential or a mix of all. The developer also called the project "the Rodeo Drive of Northwest Arkansas." He also mentions that he believes that we are at the bottom of the market slump and we will begin to pick back up by later this year. (I certainly hope he is right but I have my doubts). If everything works out there should be shops and restaurants open in less than 18 months. I also hope that Paradigm Development has not dropped their other large project, Park West.

I imagine he's thinking that the TIF district will give him an advantage over other developments but I'll be surprised if anything besides streets and utilities get built for a long while. I sure don't see a Rodeo Drive type development happening at that spot. I don't think Park West has even had any dirt work started- that sounded like a good project when it was announced (as have so many others).

• 4 weeks later...

I've been meaning to mention this for quite a while but for some reason keep forgetting. I've seen a lot of broken ground around the new Van Asche/Gregg intersection. I haven't seen any construction start yet the last time I was by. But does anyone know of what's being planned for that area?

I've been meaning to mention this for quite a while but for some reason keep forgetting. I've seen a lot of broken ground around the new Van Asche/Gregg intersection. I haven't seen any construction start yet the last time I was by. But does anyone know of what's being planned for that area?

I was under the impression it was more of that "Steele Crossing" or whatever it's called, but I don't remember any details.

I was under the impression it was more of that "Steele Crossing" or whatever it's called, but I don't remember any details.

You might be right. I had a feeling I had seen something on it before but had forgotten. Either way I've seen a lot of broken ground but no construction so far. Not sure if that means they have no immediate plans or are just waiting for Spring.

You might be right. I had a feeling I had seen something on it before but had forgotten. Either way I've seen a lot of broken ground but no construction so far. Not sure if that means they have no immediate plans or are just waiting for Spring.

It looks like they are just getting the site prepared for construction. I don't think that any plans have been made for any buildings and I don't even know if anything has been proposed.

It looks like they are just getting the site prepared for construction. I don't think that any plans have been made for any buildings and I don't even know if anything has been proposed.

The sign that used to be there had a rendering of some mid-size commercial buildings (that at least I remember, there may have been more than commercial to it), but as it appears the first Steele building isn't renting well at all right now, it wouldn't surprise me if they've chosen to wait before moving ahead with anything else.

Just seems sorta odd because they went ahead and broke ground on it. But like has been said, maybe they were hoping to get more interest in it

I had seen something coming through the planning commission/council a while ago, that was in this general area, and was kind of strip center. I did not think that it was park of this but it certainly could have been. I tried looking back in the agendas but could not find it as quick as I was hoping.

The Shoppes at the Bluff (just north of new Shogun) will break ground March 26. East Meets West Spa (originally to be at Bellafont) will be one of the tenants. It is a Mathias project.

I had been under the impression those lots around Gregg/Van Ashe were "build to suit" type lots. I doubt we'll see much spec building on those lots just yet.

Archived