Jump to content

Mith242

Uptown Fayetteville Development Area

Recommended Posts

Nick,

I love the Gulch in Nashville.  That is definitely what I would love to see in Fayetteville.  It would be very cool to have another type of Dickson Street area in Uptown for young professionals who are not interested in the college scene.  However, I am afraid it will be more sprawl and strip centers.  Pinnacle could be so much better if they planned for a Gulch type development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


The funny thing is that we are all clamoring for mixed use, tight-knit, dense neighborhoods. Everyone I talk with wants ithis very concept. But we all know when it comes right down to it the developers will not build the one thing we all want. Why is there such a disconnect?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing is that we are all clamoring for mixed use, tight-knit, dense neighborhoods. Everyone I talk with wants ithis very concept. But we all know when it comes right down to it the developers will not build the one thing we all want. Why is there such a disconnect?  

 

The disconnect is in the city council.  There are future land use zoning categories in place, as a result of the Dover Kohl plan done years ago during the Coody administration.  The current city government doesn't seem to want to prioritize that type of build-out of the city.  We have bad leadership.  There are some good people making decisions at the council level, and even more at the planning commission level, but they rarely stick to the game plan set by the previous administration.  Vote and campaign for candidates who prioritize form-based development.  Don't vote for people who aren't that interested.  

 

This is my main issue with Mayor Jordan. He has not stood behind form-based development standards as the preferred format.  The "pro-business" segment of the city council doesn't, either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly! All the Planning and City Council members say they want density/smart growth and then vote against it in every way possible. How about some ordinances that encourage taller buildings, less surface lots, more parking garages, smaller roads, better sidewalks, more bike lanes and trails, and better parks.

 

But after all, complaining on here isn't going to do anything and we will still end up with what I can only hope will be a Bass Pro Shops and Outlet center on the Van Asche extension. Welcome to Fatevull     /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if this just isn't the typical NIMBYism.  Most residents claim to want dense mixed-use developments, until they realize one pops up in their neighborhood.  Then they throw a big fit to the city council which then ends up backing down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like the main issue around JJ's Brewery is the interpretation of a covenants document from way back when.  I think the city will pass it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The city council approved allowing JJ's to build their brewery and corporate offices at the SW corner of Van Asche & Steele.  There was an issue with the interpretation of protective covenants that had to be sorted out.

There should be a nice little urban cluster taking shape in that area within a year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dirt work is underway for the new BWW building, as well as the new UARK credit union at Steele and Van Asche.  

The two apartment complexes haven't started yet.  

The new JJ's building is headed back through planning now that the land use has been approved.

I noticed today that there is a "For Sale" sign out near the road in front of the Malco.  They may be selling off part of the front of their property.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2015, 10:47:52, wmr said:

Dirt work is underway for the new BWW building, as well as the new UARK credit union at Steele and Van Asche.  

The two apartment complexes haven't started yet.  

The new JJ's building is headed back through planning now that the land use has been approved.

I noticed today that there is a "For Sale" sign out near the road in front of the Malco.  They may be selling off part of the front of their property.

I so wish they would develop the land between them and Academy with one of their bowling alley/FEC concepts along with a conversion of a screen or tow to their IMAX like experience. They ar e trying something out really cool in Memphis, the are building a Movie theater out of what was the old power plant for Central Station with a six screen upscale movie complex complete with balcony seating and an outdoor Mezzanine with  a screen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TRB said:

I so wish they would develop the land between them and Academy with one of their bowling alley/FEC concepts along with a conversion of a screen or tow to their IMAX like experience. They ar e trying something out really cool in Memphis, the are building a Movie theater out of what was the old power plant for Central Station with a six screen upscale movie complex complete with balcony seating and an outdoor Mezzanine with  a screen.

It's a great idea.  The plan with the new apartment developments along Steele show them carving out parallel parking along Steele on both sides, minimizing the need for on-site parking.  A bowling concept at the street could benefit from 15-20 new street-side parking spaces.  They're showing the parcel for sale.  Hopefully someone comes in and puts a building up at the street and uses that new parking stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a crew out on the SRG site across Steele from Malco this morning, doing some preliminary site prep work.  It looks like that project, BWW, UARK Federal Credit Union, and maybe JJ's will all be under construction at the same time over the next several months.  Big transformation underway...  I kind of want to take a few pics to remember how it looks now, because it will be totally different moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Uptown complex is currently under construction across from the Malco Razorback 16 Theater.  The developers have put together an interesting "Fly-through" of the project in the video below.  It's a little different than some of the downtown projects but still have a very modern feel.  

Uptown Fly-Through

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, strmchsr77 said:

The Uptown complex is currently under construction across from the Malco Razorback 16 Theater.  The developers have put together an interesting "Fly-through" of the project in the video below.  It's a little different than some of the downtown projects but still have a very modern feel.  

Uptown Fly-Through

Yeah I've been watching their progress over there.  While their location and project really stand out, there's been quite a few groundbreakings all over that area.  Good to see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay changed name.  There still may be some question over where Uptown Fayetteville's boundaries are exactly.  But it's probably a better fitting name than the previous one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The City Council also approved the rezoning of 185 acres along the south side of the Fulbright expressway and I-49 interchange to Urban Thoroughfare.  We will see what happens there next but it's a start on what could be a great development.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few pictures from today of the Uptown area.  JJ's foundation is in.  Uptown Apartments is about to top-out.  Watermark is moving right along.

JJs uptown aug1.jpg

uptown aug1.jpg

uptown aug2.jpg

watermark 2 aug.jpg

watermark aug.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good pics. That area is going through a dramatic growth spurt that will lead to more development. The Buffalo Wild Wings is starting actual construction and a Generations Bank branch is going next to the new UA credit union headquarters. Its great seeing the residential development in a mostly commercial area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zman9810 said:

Good pics. That area is going through a dramatic growth spurt that will lead to more development. The Buffalo Wild Wings is starting actual construction and a Generations Bank branch is going next to the new UA credit union headquarters. Its great seeing the residential development in a mostly commercial area.

People tend to forget the condo development up theree.near the JC Penny area of the mall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.