Moving to Memphis?

crossroad

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all I must say that this forum is much more helpful than other websites I have visited. Thanks for the recommendation, crossroad!!!!

You are very welcome! And welcome to the Forum.

To all, Some rumor on another forum says Memphis could have an earthquake worse than any quake CA has ever experienced due to the very soft ground in our area, on "one of these days". How reliable is this?

Does U of M have a satellite campus in Gmtown or Collierville?

You are very welcome! And welcome to the Forum.

To all, Some rumor on another forum says Memphis could have an earthquake worse than any quake CA has ever experienced due to the very soft ground in our area, on "one of these days". How reliable is this?

Does U of M have a satellite campus in Gmtown or Collierville?

I think the earthquake concern is more due to the lack of having many major earthquakes in general to dissipate the tension in the plates, so when the tension is released, it will be much stronger. But that's just me. i don't work at the earthquake institute.

I think the earthquake concern is more due to the lack of having many major earthquakes in general to dissipate the tension in the plates, so when the tension is released, it will be much stronger. But that's just me. i don't work at the earthquake institute.

http://www.greatdreams.com/madrid.htm

....And people in Memphis, for example, would be caught unprepared. "They really don't think that (quakes) are a threat because they haven't happened in a lifetime," Mueller said.....

... Geologist Arch Johnston, who heads an earthquake center at the University of Memphis, has predicted that a magnitude 8 earthquake could occur in the New Madrid zone every 550-1,000 years. Because of shock effects, such a quake could cause tens of billions of dollars worth of damage from Mississippi to Michigan, leveling Memphis and seriously damaging St. Louis. A magnitude 7 earthquake could occur within 50-100 years, and one registering magnitude 6 could occur at any time, according to Johnston's forecasts. The Geological Survey hasn't made specific forecasts, but its hazard assessments are similar to Johnston's.,.....

http://www.greatdreams.com/madrid.htm

....And people in Memphis, for example, would be caught unprepared. "They really don't think that (quakes) are a threat because they haven't happened in a lifetime," Mueller said.....

... Geologist Arch Johnston, who heads an earthquake center at the University of Memphis, has predicted that a magnitude 8 earthquake could occur in the New Madrid zone every 550-1,000 years. Because of shock effects, such a quake could cause tens of billions of dollars worth of damage from Mississippi to Michigan, leveling Memphis and seriously damaging St. Louis. A magnitude 7 earthquake could occur within 50-100 years, and one registering magnitude 6 could occur at any time, according to Johnston's forecasts. The Geological Survey hasn't made specific forecasts, but its hazard assessments are similar to Johnston's.,.....

I think that most people in Memphis are prepared. We've had enough ice storms, summer hurricane force winds, tornado threats and power outages that we know how to cope, and we've seen the city make it through okay without any mass hysteria. Earthquakes are one of those things that we can't do anything about, so when it happens, it happens.

Crossroad, whats a "wheelchair liberal" thats mentioned in your signature? A google search points back to this forum!

Government sure can prepare by enforcing the right building safety standards. St. Louis on Wikipedia devoted a paragraph on New Madrid fault; nothing on Memphis Wiki.

When referring to Hickory Hill area, where exactly do you mean? It is around the Hickory Ridge Mall area? How diverse is it? Thanks!

Happy new year everyone!

"Why do we need to mention it on our Wiki page if is NEVER going to happen"

Joking of course but thats how many people act. I think we do need to be tougher on regulations that new and old building must meet so that we will have as little fatalities as possible. It's going to happen and I think we need to get it done now because we don't know when it is going to happen.

When referring to Hickory Hill area, where exactly do you mean? It is around the Hickory Ridge Mall area? How diverse is it? Thanks!

Yep...roughly a 2-mile radius around the mall. Arguably everything south of 385, west of Riverdale, north of the state line, and east of Perkins can be called Hickory Hill metro. The area is not very diverse at all.

Joking of course but thats how many people act. I think we do need to be tougher on regulations that new and old building must meet so that we will have as little fatalities as possible. It's going to happen and I think we need to get it done now because we don't know when it is going to happen.

That, and it will take years for earthquake-resistant structures to become dominant in the city and county. You could put in tougher regulations tomorrow, and it would take decades for most of the city to be protected by them.

Whatever is done will take 20-40 years or more to actually have a substantial effect. That's why it's so important to do it now, rather than wait.

That, and it will take years for earthquake-resistant structures to become dominant in the city and county. You could put in tougher regulations tomorrow, and it would take decades for most of the city to be protected by them.

Whatever is done will take 20-40 years or more to actually have a substantial effect. That's why it's so important to do it now, rather than wait.

Mods, could you consolidate the above earthquake preparedness posts to start a new thread? We didn't want to scare our potential new Memphians away!

Where is the Overton Square? Is the malco Studio on the Square on that same SQUARE as well? How far are they from the Cooper-Young area? Here, the Cooper refers to the S/N Cooper St. in midtown or the Sam Cooper Blvd?

Does anyone have a map to indicate physical locations of them altogether? Many maybe confused with the locations just like me... Thanks.

Where is the Overton Square?

About a five minute drive from downtown.

Is the malco Studio on the Square on that same SQUARE as well?

Yes.

How far are they from the Cooper-Young area?

About five minutes by car.

Here, the Cooper refers to the S/N Cooper St. in midtown or the Sam Cooper Blvd?

The former.

Does anyone have a map to indicate physical locations of them altogether? Many maybe confused with the locations just like me... Thanks.

Google Earth will be most helpful to you.

Yep...roughly a 2-mile radius around the mall. Arguably everything south of 385, west of Riverdale, north of the state line, and east of Perkins can be called Hickory Hill metro. The area is not very diverse at all.

I would say the northern boundary would be quince or mount moriah.

I think it is one of the most diverse sections of Memphis. The fact that the international farmer's market is out there (have you been? amazing), a huge hispanic poulation, with lots of restaurants, the best korean store and market, the best thai, and the only south indian restaurant is indicative of its diversity.

I think it is one of the most diverse sections of Memphis. The fact that the international farmer's market is out there (have you been? amazing), a huge hispanic poulation, with lots of restaurants, the best korean store and market, the best thai, and the only south indian restaurant is indicative of its diversity.

That's true, and I didn't consider that. What I was considering is that roughly 75% of the population is the same race, which IMO doesn't constitute a very diverse area.

http://www.iccsafe.org/government/adoption.html

A lot of counties in TN do enforce the 2003 building codes;

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/...new_madrid.html

Anyone applying for a Tennessee driver license as of May 29, 2004 must show proof of either U.S. citizenship of lawful permanent residency. This new law requires that anyone issued a Tennessee driver's license since January 1, 2001, as well as first-time applicants, be required to provide documentation they are either a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident at the time of their first renewal. In these instances, you may not renew by mail or by the internet; you will be required to visit a Driver License Station.

I wanted to post this bit of information for anyone just out of college (or around that age) to about 40 years old. If you are in that age range and are moving to Memphis or have been in Memphis only a short while and you want to know what there is to do, where to live, where are places to eat or check out, what are the cultural activities Memphis has to offer, etc then I highly recommend contacting MPACT (www.mpactmemphis.org). This is a non-profit organization made up of young professionals to help other young professionals. It is a group of people who are dedicated to helping grow the Memphis community into a better city. They are all volunteers who dedicate their free time to this effort. They come from companies in Memphis like FedEx, IP, Autozone, Marsh, Autozone, Medtronic, First Tennesse Bank, Memphis Redbirds, Memphis Grizzlies, Baptist Hospitals, Service Master, Destination King, St. Jude, Rhodes College, and a lot of the other for profit and non-profit organizations. They are in every field from doctors, business people, education, charities, politics, journalism, etc. Their goal is to help you learn about what Memphis has to offer. It is a good way to network in the community in order to learn almost anything you want form job contacts to where to live. So please contact them, visit their website, and check out all they have to offer you. They will be glad to help. Why? Because they want your experience in Memphis to be great so that you add more to the community which makes it a better place for all of us. That in turn attracts more industry, attracts more investment in the Memphis area, and benefits all our qualities of life. I hope this helps you out!

P.S .They do hold annual parties and monthly social gatherings so you'll meet lots of young professional people to help form your social group as well as help you find your niche! As an example, this past summer 2006, they held 2 parties at the rooftop of the Lofts Apartments downtown in the South Main art district with free food and free drinks (including wine and beer).

• 7 months later...

Hello from a new resident of the Memphis area, my wife and I moved down a few weeks ago from Connecticut. We're staying with her father out in Collierville while we look for a place to live. I'm pursuing my graduate degree from the University of Memphis and she's teaching for Fayette Co. schools. If anybody has any suggestions as to things to do or see, please post them here.

Hello from a new resident of the Memphis area, my wife and I moved down a few weeks ago from Connecticut. We're staying with her father out in Collierville while we look for a place to live. I'm pursuing my graduate degree from the University of Memphis and she's teaching for Fayette Co. schools. If anybody has any suggestions as to things to do or see, please post them here.

Sign up for the Downtown Memphis weekly newsletter highlighting all the events going on downtown at www.downtownmemphis.com.

Welcome to the forum PCGrad02! Glad to have a new Memphian on the board. Plus, your literally a new Memphian! LOL

As far as some quick ideas as to what to do and see in nor particular order:

1. The Zoo. Without a doubt one of the best things to visit and see in the city, heck the in the South IMO. Its one heck of a zoo. Top notch, esp. when it can on many levels compare reasonably to zoos in much larger cities.

2. Riverfront Park is a great place to go walking, running, for picnics, etc. Really nice asset for downtown.

3. Mud Island Park - Its just interesting. The model of the Mississippi River that encompasses most of the park area is pretty cool. Lots of nice areas to sit and relax. Plus, their is a River Museum there as well, never been to it though. I would walk across the bridge and take in the views as you go.

4. Civil Rights Museum - Lots of history at the Lorraine Hotel and definitely a place to visit. You can check out the dedicated protestor across the street as well, she has been at for years - literally.

5. Downtown - Early in the morning - starting 7-8ish- on weekends one can roam downtown from one end to the other and get a real feel for the city and whats going on without much traffic or hustle and bustle to get in the way. A walk through the downtown streets, down Riverfront Park to the South Bluffs, on to the refurbished Warehouse loft areas around Central Station, and back downtown can fill up a morning till lunch. That is if you are into walking and exploring.

6. Graceland - Hey its a tourist trap, but everybody needs to go there at least once. Plus its a huge economic asset to the city. Another reason is that with $250 million dollars worth of development plans in the works for the area you might want to check out the current Graceland to be able to compare what that area of the city will hopefully become.

Welcome!!!!!

Well what kinds of things are you into? RK gave you some great ideas but I would also like to add the indoor museum on Mud Island. I would also like to add horseback riding at Shelby Farms. Its $20/per horse to ride the trails for an hour. There is also a Native American museum, Chucalissa. The Japanese Garden at the Botanical Gardens which is really nice and admission is free on Tuesday afternoon. And ofcourse there are the normal things you could do in anywhere, USA (movies, bowling, lasertag, putt putt, basketball, tennis, parks, etc.)

Archived