Moving to Memphis?

crossroad

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is the area around Rhodes in terms of livability? Does anyone have any insight on the Vollintine-Evergreen neighborhood? It seems like a cool place to live, very affordable and close to the places in Mid-town/Downtown. I really don't want to live in bland suburbia, any advice would be appreciated.

How is the area around Rhodes in terms of livability? Does anyone have any insight on the Vollintine-Evergreen neighborhood? It seems like a cool place to live, very affordable and close to the places in Mid-town/Downtown. I really don't want to live in bland suburbia, any advice would be appreciated.

Vollintine/Evergreen's a nice area. Compared to CT, most anything in Memphis is affordable. Though I don't live in Memphis anymore, I recall that there's not much retail, bars, restaurants in that area. Cooper-Young has more activity within walking distance.

• 4 months later...

For the best city school, I would recommend White Station High School.

For public schools in general, I would recommend Shelby County Schools.

Private schools are the way to go though in my opinion.

Check out:

Memphis University School (boys only)

Christian Brothers High School (boys only)

Evangelical Christian School (boys/girls)

Briarcrest (boys/girls)

St. George's

Lausanne

St. Mary's

St. Benedict

Hutchison

Hope that helps. In terms of a nice area to live in that would be near these institutions I would recommend:

Midtown, East Memphis, Germantown, Collierville

For Public Schools ML is right on, Shelby County are far superior to Memphis City Schools according to state testing. And again he is correct in that private schools are the way to go if you were to choose to live in an area zoned for the Memphis City School System.

You can use the search function at this link from the -Tennessee Department of Education- to look and compare public school systems.

School Systems to look at would be Memphis, Shelby County, Tipton, and Fayette. While not giving you specific schools it does give you an idea how the 4 school districts on the TN side of the metro perform. Collierville, Germantown, Arlington, Bartlett are all suburban communities within Shelby County whose schools would fall under the county system. Fayette and Tipton hold fast growing exurb communities of the Memphis metro such as Oakland (Fayette) and Atoka (Tipton) that you may, or may not, be interested in looking at depending on where you want to live and where you work within the city.

Then there is the Mississippi side of the metro and their schools, some of which are very new and probably very good, I just don't know much about them. I would just have to say when looking at Mississippi and Tennessee to remember TN is one of the lowest overall taxed states in nation (48th) and has no income tax. I would also argue TN has a far superior state government, less bureaucracy, and does a good job maximizing tax revenue in terms of the quality of services provided to its citizens (ie roads, school funding, infrastructure/econ development, etc).

Hope some of this is helpful.

• 1 month later...

Hi, my son just got accepted to Rhodes College! We live in California, I'm a divorced mother, and he's my only child, so I'm relocating to Memphis for the 4 years to be near my son. I want to rent a house, guesthouse, apartment, housesit for a professor, anything safe and nice close to the campus. I need to know exactly what are the perimeters I should be looking in for safety--I will have my dog with me. I want to be close to the college where I plan to work and easy for my son to visit me. Evergreen? What are the boundaries exactly? What is the neighborhood immediately to the west of the campus--it looked beautiful when I visited last year--is this where the professors live? What about to the east--I saw some bungalows there. What about nice apartment buildings? I could do with a one bedroom or small bungalow up to $1000, maybe $1200 in a pinch. I have heard of crime even in the daytime-what should I insist upon in a house---a garage necessary? Alarm a must? Or am I being paranoid? I live in a very safe and crimefree town in northern California--we don't have those issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I only know rough boundaries. The neighborhood to the east is higher end and is I think called Hyne Park - Jackson to N Parkway, Rhodes to E Parkway. To the north is Vollentine-Evergreen (sometimes called VECA after the civic association) - Jackson to Vollentine (don't know the E-W boundaries), the northeast part of which gets fairly sketchy. To the West is Evergreen - maybe Jackson to Poplar, Rhodes/Overton Park to McLean or even further west maybe. Professors live in all three neighborhoods. There is crime in all of them, but it's not a war zone. A security system is in my mind more for when you aren't at home than when you are. Best security feature in my mind is outdoor flood lights.

As to apartments/homes for rent - ask your new supervisor at Rhodes to send you postings for houses for rent that come through the faculty/staff email list. Often those are only one-year arrangements though (usually faculty leaving for a sabbatical and coming back). Sometimes there are guest houses for rent long-term, though. The Bursar's office I think also maintains a list of places for rent. There's a couple of large apartment buildings nearby. One is Woodmont on North Parkway where a lot of students live. Another is the Gilmore at the corner of Madison and McLean. There are townhomes on Union at Georgian Woods (I think that's the name). There are also a lot of privately owned small apartment buildings with maybe 20 units each all over midtown.

In any case, you should definitely be able to get by on $1000/mo for rent.

Rhodes College is a top-notch small school with a very beautiful campus. I was dismayed a number of years ago when the college elected to build a large security fence surrounding the entire campus. Read into that decision what you will. The campus is still pretty open, but the fence is a major eyesore, in my opinion. "Sketchy" is perhaps the best way to describe the neighborhoods around Rhodes. I would definitely avoid the areas north of campus (Jackson and north). Check out any areas where you plan to live at different times of both day and night to get a feel for the neighborhood.

I only know rough boundaries. The neighborhood to the east is higher end and is I think called Hyne Park - Jackson to N Parkway, Rhodes to E Parkway. To the north is Vollentine-Evergreen (sometimes called VECA after the civic association) - Jackson to Vollentine (don't know the E-W boundaries), the northeast part of which gets fairly sketchy. To the West is Evergreen - maybe Jackson to Poplar, Rhodes/Overton Park to McLean or even further west maybe. Professors live in all three neighborhoods. There is crime in all of them, but it's not a war zone. A security system is in my mind more for when you aren't at home than when you are. Best security feature in my mind is outdoor flood lights.

As to apartments/homes for rent - ask your new supervisor at Rhodes to send you postings for houses for rent that come through the faculty/staff email list. Often those are only one-year arrangements though (usually faculty leaving for a sabbatical and coming back). Sometimes there are guest houses for rent long-term, though. The Bursar's office I think also maintains a list of places for rent. There's a couple of large apartment buildings nearby. One is Woodmont on North Parkway where a lot of students live. Another is the Gilmore at the corner of Madison and McLean. There are townhomes on Union at Georgian Woods (I think that's the name). There are also a lot of privately owned small apartment buildings with maybe 20 units each all over midtown.

Rhodes College is a top-notch small school with a very beautiful campus. I was dismayed a number of years ago when the college elected to build a large security fence surrounding the entire campus. Read into that decision what you will. The campus is still pretty open, but the fence is a major eyesore, in my opinion. "Sketchy" is perhaps the best way to describe the neighborhoods around Rhodes. I would definitely avoid the areas north of campus (Jackson and north). Check out any areas where you plan to live at different times of both day and night to get a feel for the neighborhood.

There's actually a nice neighborhood on the north side of Jackson where a lot of the faculty live. Anything directly surrounding Rhodes is decent.

Thanks very much. I was thinking sabbatical too. Especially since I would most probably go back to CA and spend the summers there with my son, as he wants to go home summers and get a job or an internship. I am concerned about leaving a house sort of closed up for 3 months without occupancy. It might be better for me to housesit for a professor or rent rooms in a professor's or someone like that's house so that I do not have the issue of break-ins because I am gone. I will go to the Bursar's office when we fly in for the new student/parent weekend in April and ask around and get on their email list. I still have some time, but I was just interested in what the natives would do--where would they live. It is a difficult thing. I appreciate your input very much.

• 2 months later...

Food abounds in Memphis that is good and affordable.

For downtown places to eat and drink I would recommend:

Dyer's on Beale - Best Hamburgers period in Memphis IMO. Affordable prices in a great old-fashioned diner setting.

Rum Boogie Cafe on Beale - Great BBQ, gumbo, and red beans and rice. Venue also has great live "Blues" bands.

BB King's on Beale - More commercial than other locales on Beale, this is a great place for music and a variety of foods.

There is a good and affordable modernish Thai/Fusion place downtown too, I think on Union if my memory serves me correct. Ask around about it.

Things to see:

Civil Rights Museum - $10-12 I think, don't recall as its been awhile.

Exploring downtown is always a fun diversion on a nice warm day, and the trolley can take you around for a mere 50 cents to several downtown spots of interest. South Main is an area you might want to check out via the trolley, or walk if you are so lnclined, as it is an area filled with unique shops and historic structures - such as the historic Central Station facility/building. The Riverwalk is also a nice park area one can walk along from downtown to the bluffs area where several nice urban communities are being developed, and is located right next South Main neighborhood.

Mud Island - Free if you walk across to check out the skyline, the walkable model of the Mississippi flood plain from Cairo to New Orleans, and several great places to just sit down and take in the river. Mississippi River Museum is also on the island - small fee required for admittance.

Peabody Hotel - Just check out the lobby, the skydeck, and of course the ducks! All for free!!!

The Dixon Gallery is extemely nice Art Museum, while the Cotton Museum would probably be up you alley if you are interested in the history of the product and trade that help build the city.

Check out the Memphis Convention and Visitor's Bureau site for a searchable database of things to do, places to stay, and good places to dine. Also check out the UP Memphis City Page for more helpful links on the city.

Hope this is helpful. I am sure other folks will add things to the list.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Well i have finally relocated to memphis. My family and I have found a great house in Bartlett(even though our post office is Arlington) and we are settling in. So far we have enjoyd the Childrens Museum, a Riverboat Ride, Mud Island, and Memphis in May. I would like to know some of the other family friendly things to do in and around Memphis as well as any tips, tricks, and/or warnings that ou can offer me.

Thanks!

My wife and I are moving to Memphis in August. We are looking for a safe and affordable area inside 240. We are interested in Normandy Meadows, Midtown and High Point Terrace. Any suggestions or thoughts on these areas? We need to have some sort of yard for our dogs, so condos are not an option.

• 1 month later...

The wife and I have visited the Memphis / North MS area 4 times so far this year. On one visit for 8 days. Memphis certainly has it going on (as compared to where we currently live (Michigan). We have absolutely made up our minds to relocate by years end. The housing is certainly on point and it appears that you get a lot for your money in this market.

We are both telecommunications professionals and would like to know which telcom companies have a presence in the Memphis / North MS markets. Feel free to drop me an email or post here.

The wife and I have visited the Memphis / North MS area 4 times so far this year. On one visit for 8 days. Memphis certainly has it going on (as compared to where we currently live (Michigan). We have absolutely made up our minds to relocate by years end. The housing is certainly on point and it appears that you get a lot for your money in this market.

We are both telecommunications professionals and would like to know which telcom companies have a presence in the Memphis / North MS markets. Feel free to drop me an email or post here.

I seem to remember that MCI/Worldcom having an operation as well as Time Warner laying a ton of infrastructure in the city. Beyond that, I think Sitel is a telcom company, it has an operation in Millington, although it's just a call center, so that may not be up your alley... Bell South I'm sure is around.

I'm not up to date with the industry, so perhaps someone else has more info to offer. I do remember that as of a few years ago a lot of companies were laying infrastructure throughout the region. Now if we could just get widespread wireless.

• 3 years later...

Hey y'all!

I am currently interviewing at a job located in the University District of Memphis. The only information I can find on this area is a .pdf of a proposed redevelopment plan. Can y'all help me get a sense of what this part of town is like and if it would be a good place to live. It seems to me that the area is heavily populated by student housing.

I wouldn't mind living in an urban center, as I've done that before, but I would like to live close to my potential employer.

Also, my East Tennessee friends are highly encouraging me to get my concealed weapons permit before even thinking of moving to Memphis.... is this just East Tennessee Bias, or should I actually get my permit?

Hey y'all!

I am currently interviewing at a job located in the University District of Memphis. The only information I can find on this area is a .pdf of a proposed redevelopment plan. Can y'all help me get a sense of what this part of town is like and if it would be a good place to live. It seems to me that the area is heavily populated by student housing.

I wouldn't mind living in an urban center, as I've done that before, but I would like to live close to my potential employer.

Also, my East Tennessee friends are highly encouraging me to get my concealed weapons permit before even thinking of moving to Memphis.... is this just East Tennessee Bias, or should I actually get my permit?

The area around the University can get pretty rough, as are most urban parts of Memphis. I stop short of telling you to get your permit due to the fact that I don't know you or your abilities. If you are comfortable with the idea of carrying concealed, are willing to put the time and effort into keeping yourself sharp, and are responsible about it, then it wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion.

The violent crime rate is around 16 per 1000 in Memphis, compared to 9.8 in Knoxville, 9.3 in Chattanooga, 11.7 in Nashville, and 6.3 state wide. By comparison, Philadelphia and Chicago are both 12.2, LA is around 5, and Manhattan is 4.9. Here's a good neighborhood map: http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tn/memphis/crime/

• 2 months later...

• If moving to the U of M area you should stay north of southern ave. Everything north is pretty much ok. Other quiet areas of the city include raleigh (Scenic Hills Neighborhood, Twin Meadows area, Homewood). I really would advise you to check the area out. Also there are nice neighborhoods around shelby farms. As far as inside the 240 loop any neighborhood between poplar, walnut grove, sam cooper, and park should be nice. There are nice neighborhoods along the green line. The area behind Oak court mall, mendenhall near poplar. As far as carrying a weapon goes I say no you just have to be aware of your surroundings.

Archived