33 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Draft be revived?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a great idea, but 18 to 42? Have they seen the shape most 42 year olds are in? They'd have to figure something out too, most people above the age of 30 have their lives pretty set up already, how would it work to yank those established people out of society? I can see an 18 year old, out of high school, goes and does his/her 2 years or 4 years then off to college of whatever. But it would be odd for a 40 year old person to get a letter: "Hi, you've been drafted, please leave the life you've been building for the last 20 years and go guard a nuclear plant". I guarantee you'd see a rash of "sick" kids amongst politicians....

It's to create an anti-war movement, basically, which is just stupid.

I think I can fairly respond to so many neo-cons' statement of "If you don't like it here, you can leave" with "if you support this war, then go fight it."

The idea is that Sally Soccer Mom and John Nascar Dad won't be so gung ho about going 'round the world and sticking our red white and blue boots up peoples' asses if little Billy has to go fight it. It's a chicken hawk's worst nightmare.

That makes some sense. I agree it seems like a bass-ackwards way to go about it, but that at least explains it.

As for conscription...it wouldn't bother me too much, really. I wasn't going to enlist, but I'd probably volunteer and get my pick of the services if it came along. Of course, if you institute a draft, there should also be some sort of civil service branch, maybe something similar to the CCC, for consciencious objectors, those who fail the physical, and the like.

That makes some sense. I agree it seems like a bass-ackwards way to go about it, but that at least explains it.

As for conscription...it wouldn't bother me too much, really. I wasn't going to enlist, but I'd probably volunteer and get my pick of the services if it came along. Of course, if you institute a draft, there should also be some sort of civil service branch, maybe something similar to the CCC, for consciencious objectors, those who fail the physical, and the like.

Some say that its a good idea to revive the draft because it would deter polititians form starting a war. My question to that is this. What about Vietnam? Much like Iraq, it was a war with questionable motivations. The draft was still in place when the Vietnam War was started. So I doubt the draft would act as a deterent to politicians wanting to start a war. Remember, politicians have lots of money and connections to get their sons and daughters out of the draft where the common Joe Blow doesn't.

Some say that its a good idea to revive the draft because it would deter polititians form starting a war. My question to that is this. What about Vietnam? Much like Iraq, it was a war with questionable motivations. The draft was still in place when the Vietnam War was started. So I doubt the draft would act as a deterent to politicians wanting to start a war. Remember, politicians have lots of money and connections to get their sons and daughters out of the draft where the common Joe Blow doesn't.

That's right. But alot of people died unessecary deaths or wishing they were dead to get the US to that point. As for the Iraq War I preceive that a majority of people are against it but still support the troops. Which brings up another thing. The anger against the Vietnam War was also felt by the troops returning home. Some of the stories I heard about that aspect I would never want to happen to Iraq War soilders coming home.

There were huge, I mean huge protests against the Vietnam war because young men were being drafted and sent to Vietnam to be killed. The USA has seen nothing like it since. It brought down the presidency of LBJ and destroyed the Democratic party. That convention collapsed in riots, police firing teargas, and led to the landslide victory of that crook Nixon (GOP) who won based on a platform of getting us out of Vietnam. American society was fundamentally changed forever because of the Vietnam war.

I doubt any of this would have happened if the draft had not happened.

That's right. But alot of people died unessecary deaths or wishing they were dead to get the US to that point. As for the Iraq War I preceive that a majority of people are against it but still support the troops. Which brings up another thing. The anger against the Vietnam War was also felt by the troops returning home. Some of the stories I heard about that aspect I would never want to happen to Iraq War soilders coming home.

My personal feelings towards the draft is it is a last resort option that should only be put to use if somthing on the magnatude of WW II where to occur as this war was a real threat to the sovereignty of the US by foreign powers. If that were the case with the Iraq War then I'd probably have different views of it and the idea of reviving the draft. But the way things are shaping up, I see the Iraq War as nothing more than a politician's war. In cases like that, it would be a horrid injustice to expect families to give up there beloved sons and daughters for crotchety old farts in Washington D.C.

People died, not unnecessarily BTW, because those protests were the only way to get the government to listen. There was a lot of anger because of Vietnam. 65,000 dead and 300,000 wounded, for nothing, was a lot to be angry about. Jimmy Carter, thankfully ended the draft, even ended draft registration.

So you are saying that the draft would be the final straw that would turn mere grumblings on chat rooms and forums about the Iraq War to all out 60's-eque protests. Be that the case, the draft would be a very effective "final straw" to cause people to march and riot on the streets. That I agree to 100% But as a deterent to starting politician's wars, I fail to see the draft at being so. It it were so, Vietnam would not have happened or atleast been handled more wisely. Also when we talk about the Iraq War we are talking about Bush as well. Mr. Bush has thus far proven himself to be as stubborn as a mule that will not see that the Iraq War is not going well. He has ignored advice from wise people, and gone against the will of the American People to "stay the course". How can we as Americans expect him to have chosen more wisely the actions in response to 9/11 if the draft was inforced at the time given the deplorable track record Bush has thus far left behind? Going by what I've seen of politics, and what history tells me, if a politician wants somthing they will go as far as to sell there souls to the devil to get it and nothing, not even a little thing like the common people worrying about losing their sons and daughters to the draft, will stop them. But again we both agree there is that final straw that spurs the people to say "Enough is enough!" and mean it. It has reached that point countless times before through out history. The Iraq War will likely be no exception because politicians in their quest for power and everlasting glory have time and time again pushed the common people to the breaking point.

That is the point. People are much more willing to try diplomacy before shooting the gun, if they are the one who might get shot at in the process. This war has been going on for close to 4 years and there are already more Americans dead from it than 9/11 yet there is no plan to conclude it. There was an outrage for 9/11. There isn't one for Iraq because a lot of people consider the military to be nothing more than hired mercenaries. A draft would change all of that.

Archived