Red Jet Ball Cafe Update

Paramaribo

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gilmore has until March 2007 to make it fly or sacrifice his performance bond. At the most recent community meeting, I got the impression he was looking for someone to take over on the coffeehouse idea. He stated that he may be interested in joint ventures. He seems sincere in his desire to do the right thing by the community and hold to his promise, but not personally in the right place to make it happen all that quickly.

So now there's on helluva building waiting for someone to pick-up the ball on Plainfield. Those who have dreamed coffee shop or cafe, or those who already do this kind of thing and are thinking to expand, should contact Mr. Gilmore to see if there can be a win-win here. I think he'd be interested in talking.

As for the vandalism to the monument, the local VFW maintains it. Pretty low to vandalize a veterans memorial. I'll let them know and tip off the neighborhood association.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Plan advance for eatery at old library

The outdoor patio will be located beneath a canopy on a sidewalk west of the building. The canopy will feature sides that can be lowered for inclement weather, Hanley said. Gilmore's Flat River Grill in Lowell uses a similar canopy, she said.

Great to see things moving forward on this. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I stopped in the cafe last week (the doors were unlocked), and it looks like it's coming along nicely. It's smaller on the inside then I had envisioned it, though. The manager, Jose, said they should be open in about two weeks.

To anyone who may be looking for property in the immediate area, the building where the Brittney Cafe is located is currently for sale.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI: The Red Ball Jet cafe opens tomorrow!

Look for a video featuring Greg in tomorrow's edition of Rapid Growth. I'll also try to get a higher res version up on Developing GR sometime tomorrow.

Greg says they are still waiting on some of the permant furniture for the joint, but it looks fantastic. I love the, um... red ball light fixtures.

I attended a Creston Neighborhood Association fundraiser there on Tuesday night and found the decor to be a little underwhelming.

I'm sure the place will survive on location (I plan on hitting it often for breakfast and coffee) and food (which was tasty on Tuesday), but for all the excitement generated on this site and elsewhere from talk of rooftop patios and year-round sidewalk seating, I expected more attention to be paid to the interior.

Instead, I found the Red Ball Jet to be a nice, plain-ish Grand Rapids cafe ... with the important distinction of being able to serve beer and wine. It felt kinda like a new rental unit: Lots of shiny new fixtures, but with an overall feeling of stark, clean blandness. The bathrooms were more interestingly designed than the cafe area.

I might like to see it at night ...

I attended a Creston Neighborhood Association fundraiser there on Tuesday night and found the decor to be a little underwhelming.

I'm sure the place will survive on location (I plan on hitting it often for breakfast and coffee) and food (which was tasty on Tuesday), but for all the excitement generated on this site and elsewhere from talk of rooftop patios and year-round sidewalk seating, I expected more attention to be paid to the interior.

Instead, I found the Red Ball Jet to be a nice, plain-ish Grand Rapids cafe ... with the important distinction of being able to serve beer and wine. It felt kinda like a new rental unit: Lots of shiny new fixtures, but with an overall feeling of stark, clean blandness. The bathrooms were more interestingly designed than the cafe area.

I might like to see it at night ...

Archived