Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Black Friday Shopping in Charlotte?

Do you plan to shop for stuff on Black Friday?   34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to shop for stuff on Black Friday?

• Yes - most definately, can't passs it up
    • No - I plan to do something more relevant
    • Maybe - there is nothing else to do

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago, I decided to take my camera out and document some of the Black Friday shopping insanity (IMO) that has taken over this nation in the last 25 years. This is one of the photos. Prior to that, I don't remember Christmas being defined as it is today in terms of buying stuff.

So the question, is will you participate in this collective exercise?

I took this photo a couple of years ago of a Walmart in the Charlotte area.

walmart_vomits.jpg

Location - Bleedswell, NC (but could be Anyplace, USA)

Time - 10 minutes into the future

As I told one friend recently, the smartest people on Black Friday aren't the ones who wake up at 4 AM and go get "good bargains," it's the people who stay home on that day.

Holiday shopping has become lethal bloodsport. Just look at the Playstation craze. The whole season has become just one big buying spree. Hannukah is a relatively minor Jewish holiday but it's become overly magnified because of it's proximity to Christmas. I can't stand crowds so I do most of my shopping online for family and friends regardless of which holiday I am buying for. It's also pretty tough finding Hannukah specific gifts in Charlotte.

One other thing, for the die-hard "I need to get all the time I can" shopper on black friday... Concord Mills is opening at 12:01 AM on Friday, and Carolina Place is opening at 1:00 AM.

I remember reading last year about Carolina Place's all night shopping event. They said they would continue it if enough people participated. I guess they did. A coworker of mine years ago used to bring the entire family in the mini-van and park in front of Walmart Thursday so they could sleep in the car to be first in line when the doors opened at 6am. I always thought it was crazy but she said the hassle was worth it because she got all of her shopping done in one fell swoop and got crazy deals on the big ticket items. Walmart and other stores usually do "doorbuster" prices the first three hours after opening on the most popular gifts of the season, and she used to make a killing. I guess it just depends on your mindset.

I will most likely be out hiking somewhere in the Pisgah National Forest on Black Friday. If I come across any special deals while there I will let ya'll know. ;)

I was an accidental Black Friday shoppers a few years back. The heating system went out in my rental house on Thanksgiving night. I was at Wal-Mart bright and early for the door opening on Black Friday to buy a portable heater. It was a mad house, people pushing and shoving. At least I can say I've done it. This Black Friday I will be hiking in the mountains!!!

I will most likely be out hiking somewhere in the Pisgah National Forest on Black Friday

I had no choice to choose option B because I won't be buying anything Friday, but I'll be up bright and early to sell all that crap anyway. I'm on the other end.

LOL I have to work both my jobs Black Friday so shopping would be out of the question even if I wanted to.

Anyone who is traveling to Concord Mills on Black Friday should stop by FYE, because that is where I will be pretty much all day. At least the day will go by quick because it will be so hectic. The one thing I am not looking forward to is the traffic that will be around the mall. :shok:

I generally pass on Black Friday, but this year I'll be (if all goes as scheduled) at the mall in Greensboro when it opens at 1:00AM and on the way to Manhattan later that night.

If I was going to be in Charlotte, I'd go to SouthPark :)

Nope, I'll be watching college football. Will probably do my hiking in the mountains on Saturday.

I'll be shopping, but won't feel guilty...I'll be in the Netherlands and they don't have Black Friday. The joys of no Thanksgiving! Anybody need a pair of wooden shoes?

No shopping for me but I will be working. Shouldn't be too busy as we don't put stuff on sale.

I would only go out just to watch the frenzy and chaos for amusement purposes only. People lose all ability to act rational on this day. I remember one time being in a Wal-Mart when I was a child and watch 2 women fist-fight over a Power Ranger toy.

Well it's now time for me to make an early start to my slumber if I'm to be up at 3am to get to work. I've actually already been sleeping for two hours, but I've been rolling around for the last thirty minutes, something about sleeping during the day isn't natural.

Boy, I just can't wait for that 20 hour shift tomorrow.

MSNBC just did a little brief on the chaos at Concord Mills...they got a great shot of how difficult it (and embarassing) it is to fit 1500 people through a standard storefront. Also some excellent footage of a mother consoling her daughter who had nearly been trampled.

On the day after Thanksgiving.

Even more amusing or disgusting at how you might look at it.

I was watching the ABC news this morning. They led in with a story on the absolute hell that is going on in Iraq and the fact that bombings, morters, shells, bullets and bombs had maimed and killed hundreds in the last 24 hours. The carnage was horrendous. Then instantly the story changed to mindless, non-caring Americans rushing like pigs to a feeding trough to get into the stores to buy junk.

Think about it.

Nice photo, but that's how my neighborhood Wal-Mart looks on a normal day. :lol:

Anyway, Black Friday is nuts, and it's gotten out of control.