Alpine Ave Developments

GRDadof3

I was out on Alpine Ave for the first time in a long time, and noticed some changes.

The Clock Restaurant is now Q'Doba's. Never ate at the Clock, so I don't know if it's an improvement, but kids eat free on Sundays at Q'Doba. ;)

The Belle Tire is gone at 4 Mile and Beltline. Anyone know what's going in there? A Subway and a Curves for Women?

Looks like Jade Pig is renovating the facade of that UGLY shopping center across the street that houses Michael's, Russ' and Pet Supplies Plus. They've added some "ledgestone" to parts of it already. Any word on a giant "sail" sculpture that's supposed to be added?

What's up with the new strip-mall by Evergreen Properties in front of York Creek Apts that is sitting half-empty? They even added restaurant space on either end of the building with outdoor patio seating, so people can apparently take in the view of the apartment complex?

And finally, a new Culvers is opening, because studies showed that Alpine Twp residents were not up to the obesity levels they needed to be.

Any other Alpine news?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was out on Alpine Ave for the first time in a long time, and noticed some changes.

The Clock Restaurant is now Q'Doba's. Never ate at the Clock, so I don't know if it's an improvement, but kids eat free on Sundays at Q'Doba. ;)

The Belle Tire is gone at 4 Mile and Beltline. Anyone know what's going in there? A Subway and a Curves for Women?

The Clock was there for years. Typical "greasy spoon" breakfast 24 hours / day place. Stayed in business all these years so it must have been ok.(Last time I ate there - 1975?) It used to be them, Kmart and a couple gas stations, Jack Keller & C Bell Chevrolet with Green Ridge County Club across the street.

Bell Tire moved south 200 feet. The corner will get - what else today - a Walgreens :shok:

>The renovation of the Alpine Meijer store featuring a 20,000 sq. ft addition, drastic face lift to the facade and a new outdoor garden center is currently under way. It will provide much need updates to store layout to bring it up to current store formats and prepare it to compete with a pending Wal-Mart supercenter to go in further up the road.

>Wal-Mart is expected to replace its current Alpine store with a 200,000 sq. ft supercenter. I believe construction starts some time in 2007. Boooo! Hiss! :angry: The new Supercenter is to be built behind the existing store. When completed the existing store is to be demolished to make room for more parking.

>The Menards home improvment store on Alpine is in the finishing touches of a renovation consisting of an improved outdoor garden center, bringing of the lumber dept. indoors like what Lowe's and Home Depot feature and general improvments to store layout. Its not as drastic as the Alpine Meijer renovation but I hope its enough to improve the disorganized mess that is Menards.

>The ruins of the Clock was cleared away and a Mexican resteraunt took its place.

>Bell Tire is moving to a new building a few hundred feet to the south.

>The Walgreens to go in on Bell Tire's old location is new though. Like we don't have enough pharmacies already. :wacko:

>A new store is being added on next to the Schuler's Books. Not sure what it is but I think it's sports related.

>Supposedly (I stress "supposedly") Target got approved to add a grocery store section to their Alpine location. Very sparce info on that. But I don't think its going to happen any time soon though.

>Orchard Park lifstyle center to go on 4 Mile and Walker. Even though its not on Alpine, its effects will most certainly be felt in the form of increased traffic and more sprawl.

That's about all I can think of.

A little birdie told me Target might be scrapping its Super Target plans on Alpine and building it in Orchard Park. (of course leaving its current location) Also that same birdie told me it 99.99% certain now that Cabella's is moving into Orchard Park.

I work along side some hunters. They take their trek around the lake and "zip up" 131 and make a stop in GR for grub and supplies then up to the forest. I can see West Michigan and Eastern Illinois driving the decision for a Cabelas. If I remember correctly GR was given the title "Grand Entrance to the North." or something to that effect.

Cabela's will be positively huge in that location. How far off 131 is it? Seems to me like a location with direct access to 131 would suit their "just passing through" clientele better than somewhere off I-96. But, wherever they put it, I'm sure it'll be a wild success.

Regarding The Clock, has anyone ever eaten at the one in Traverse City on US-31? It has the exact same sign and decor, so I'm assuming it's related. I've never been in either one though.

I work along side some hunters. They take their trek around the lake and "zip up" 131 and make a stop in GR for grub and supplies then up to the forest. I can see West Michigan and Eastern Illinois driving the decision for a Cabelas. If I remember correctly GR was given the title "Grand Entrance to the North." or something to that effect.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't get the butter burger thing. Of course, I also cherish my arteries. :lol:

Here's another new development for Alpine across from Menards, where I notice they've installed a new traffic light. All of a sudden Alpine is taking off again. Is is just me or does that look a lot like the Rockford D&W?

311202208_c8276a275f_b.jpg

Could very well be. Meijer is updating their Alpine Location as we speak, Wal-Mart will be upgrading to a Supercenter sometime in '07. Plus there is the Super Target thing floating around. So Sparten Food's Alpine competition is really turning up the heat which would justify the need for a renovated or brand new store as the one on 4 Mile is hopelessly outdated.

Maybe Family Fare is moving out of it's cheesy 4 mile location?

Archived