Alpine Ave Developments

GRDadof3

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Former Lear plant flying high as Avastar Park

Saturday, June 30, 2007By Chris KnapeThe Grand Rapids Press

WALKER -- It could have been an industrial albatross.

After all, it's a 750,000-square-foot factory on 41 acres built more than half a century ago to make glider parts and boat hulls for World War II.

It was closed more than a year ago as auto parts giant Lear Corp. scaled back, eliminating the manufacturing jobs that had supported thousands of families for decades.

[Continued on Mlive]

The article cites office space and light industrial/warehouse tenants. There's bazillions of parking; perhaps Avastar could lease out the street frontage and provide some infill retail. (Fred, build a new Thrifty Outlet!)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it is strikingly clear:

stats_map.jpg

:o

Maybe restaurants like Culvers should be charged a surtax to help pay for our skyrocketing healthcare costs. This generation being born right now is the first generation in the history of this country who has a SHORTER expected lifespan than the previous generation, mainly because of obesity.

<steps off soapbox>

Yes, it is strikingly clear:

:o

Maybe restaurants like Culvers should be charged a surtax to help pay for our skyrocketing healthcare costs. This generation being born right now is the first generation in the history of this country who has a SHORTER expected lifespan than the previous generation, mainly because of obesity.

<steps off soapbox>

I drove north on Alpine up towards Newaygo for the first time in quite a while on Sunday. I cannot believe how much has changed on the stretch between 4 Mile and Lamaroeux. The stretch on the east side of the road, just north of Best Buy -- where did all the trees go? Why clear cut everything and plant tiny tiny trees and shrubs (if any)? These strip-malls-in-a-box are really getting out of hand.

Growing up in this area (3 Mile / Bristol), I thought that all the changes on Alpine were pretty good, with a few snafus. Now having been out of the area for a while, these changes are looking worse and worse. I wonder how much longer it'll be before retail moves past Lamaroeux and fills in the empty spots upto 7 Mile? 8 Mile? Sparta?

Speaking of demolished gas stations - does anyone know what's going in on the former Shell gast station lot at Alpine and Coventry? There are developer signs in front of the structure, but nothing to indicate what the actual business will be. (As of the end of last week anyway...) :rolleyes:

So I went to the new Culver's last night. I had never been to one before. It was a little more fast-foodish than I expected, though it was nice and greasy. Not a bad burger, but definitely something to eat sparingly.

For my money the best burger in GR is still at the Wealthy Street Station.

I drove north on Alpine up towards Newaygo for the first time in quite a while on Sunday. I cannot believe how much has changed on the stretch between 4 Mile and Lamaroeux. The stretch on the east side of the road, just north of Best Buy -- where did all the trees go? Why clear cut everything and plant tiny tiny trees and shrubs (if any)? These strip-malls-in-a-box are really getting out of hand.

Growing up in this area (3 Mile / Bristol), I thought that all the changes on Alpine were pretty good, with a few snafus. Now having been out of the area for a while, these changes are looking worse and worse. I wonder how much longer it'll be before retail moves past Lamaroeux and fills in the empty spots upto 7 Mile? 8 Mile? Sparta?

This may sound a bit weird. But Calbella's diverting of sprawl onto 4 mile would be better than letting sprawl continue to make it way north along Alpine Ave. It would shorten overall driving distances and also make it a bit easier to route new bus/transit lines. It would also allow traffic to more easily find alternative routes to and from the area vs. being crammed onto a single road for long stretches ala 28th street.

I don't see that happening any time soon. For one, there's not a lot of housing once you get North of 6 Mile to support more retail (and not a lot of plans for housing in that area between 6 Mile and Sparta, despite fears of "The Ridge" being developed). Plus, when the Cabela's development goes in, the retail development will gravitate to that area and along 4 Mile.

This may sound a bit weird. But Calbella's diverting of sprawl onto 4 mile would be better than letting sprawl continue to make it way north along Alpine Ave. It would shorten overall driving distances and also make it a bit easier to route new bus/transit lines. It would also allow traffic to more easily find alternative routes to and from the area vs. being crammed onto a single road for long stretches ala 28th street.

Youd' be surprised I'm sure... I moved down from Northern Michigan and I know a NUMBER of people from my small town that would plan trips to Detroit around going out of their way to go to Cabela's. Thats a 4 hour drive just to go and they'd stay for 2-3 days and then drive home. The outdoor sports market is huge up north and having Cabela's closer than Dundee will draw tons of people from the great north region... just my 2 cents

Youd' be surprised I'm sure... I moved down from Northern Michigan and I know a NUMBER of people from my small town that would plan trips to Detroit around going out of their way to go to Cabela's. Thats a 4 hour drive just to go and they'd stay for 2-3 days and then drive home. The outdoor sports market is huge up north and having Cabela's closer than Dundee will draw tons of people from the great north region... just my 2 cents

Archived