Alpine Ave Developments

GRDadof3

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Starbucks on Alpine opened up Friday, my friend and his dad were able to go to the pre-opening party Thursday night and the general feel is that any new development on Alpine is good development, they expect a ton of business within the first weeks of it open, despite the starbucks located in Schulers Books about 200 ft. up the road.

The Starbucks on Alpine opened up Friday, my friend and his dad were able to go to the pre-opening party Thursday night and the general feel is that any new development on Alpine is good development, they expect a ton of business within the first weeks of it open, despite the starbucks located in Schulers Books about 200 ft. up the road.

How about instead of people being lazy, it has to do with people always being on the go and don't have time to "get out of my car and have a coffee in a comfy bookstore and interact with people". Sorry, but as the father of 1, soon to be 2, we RARELY have time to do anything of the sort and are CONSTANTLY running around like crazy. Trust me, if we had time to get out, grab a book and actually ENJOY a quiet time reading in the cafe, I'd be all about it... but alas, thats not the way life goes these days

I think rather than get out of the car, many people would choose not to stop. Starbucks wants to increase sales, and adding a drive-through is one way to do that. Honestly, who cares? A drive-through would be totally out of place downtown, sure, but on Alpine? Would you like to see some outdoor seating sandwiched between parking lots and the highway too? (Actually, they probably will. ;))

Not gonna lie, me being myself i'd much rather get out of my car and enjoy the nice friendly and frequently comfortable bookstore enviorment than going to a drive through, enviorment means a lot of me.

Another random note, what is with the rediculously tacky rent-a-sign crap out front of the new Starbucks that says "We Opened Friday" or something of the sort? Ew.

How about instead of people being lazy, it has to do with people always being on the go and don't have time to "get out of my car and have a coffee in a comfy bookstore and interact with people". Sorry, but as the father of 1, soon to be 2, we RARELY have time to do anything of the sort and are CONSTANTLY running around like crazy. Trust me, if we had time to get out, grab a book and actually ENJOY a quiet time reading in the cafe, I'd be all about it... but alas, thats not the way life goes these days

That's completely understandable and I didn't mean to be offensive. Everyone has their reasons for utilizing a drive thru and I'm still one of them. If I have the time, then I'm all about getting out of my car. All I was doing was highlighting a characteristic of our society that I feel is problematic. I hope this clarifies. Oh, and I can relate to the whole energetic kid lifestyle. My niece can be a handful. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Ah yes, when a two minute hop into a coffee shop turns into a 20 minute whirlwind of herding kids and annoying the other patrons.

Drive thru's definitely have advantages when you have a couple of crazy kids with you. :)

Joe

Get back to me when you have three elementary aged kids. ^_^ Nieces are nothin.

I do agree that people don't take the time to find their "third place", as discussed previously on this forum. I try to go to Urban Mill once a week to hang out with the kids and play Mancala. Harder now that summer is over.

• 1 month later...

According to the following Mlive Article Plumb's Supermarket plans to move its Hastings store to what is currently a Family Fare on 4 Mile Rd just off of Alpine Ave. Company officials site a pending Meijer store and an incoming Walmart Supercenter for Hastings will be too much competition to take on once they are built.

Plumbs to close Hastings store, open GR site

According to the following Mlive Article Plumb's Supermarket plans to move its Hastings store to what is currently a Family Fare on 4 Mile Rd just off of Alpine Ave. Company officials site a pending Meijer store and an incoming Walmart Supercenter for Hastings will be too much competition to take on once they are built.

Plumbs to close Hastings store, open GR site

Here are some shots of some new buildings completed or under construction on Alpine Ave.

Here's what looks like a new restaurant being constructed next door to Perkins. From the way it looks, it might be a replacement building as Perkin's current building is getting long in the tooth.

2118876257_0dd87235da_o.jpg

The new Starbucks directly across the street from Perkins is now up and running. The distinctive architecture is very good looking and quit fitting for the type of image Starbucks wants to portray.

2118876183_45f85da9a9_o.jpg

The new Marathon gas station at the 4 Mile intersection is open. The roofs could have been made thinner to give the building a lighter feel. But the new station does look allot better than the old one.

2118875973_002b58d6d1_o.jpg

A new mini mall has been built across the street from Menard's A Mattress World is one of its first tenants. I think this is one of a few phases of a larger project that will take place at this location.

2119654618_504e6f721c_o.jpg

Archived