What commute / living situation would be ideal?

Divot

I've been reading through this board for a few days now and it's been helpful. I'm currently a young professional living in Southern New Hampshire and I've just been offered a job in Boston however the group in Boston is moving to RI in 12-18 months so I'm kind of stuck. I have several options and wanted to see if anyone else has ever had similar experiences.

1) I could stay in NH and do the commute to Boston (either driving to Lowell and taking the T or driving all the way there. Drawbacks: 1.5 hours each way, positives: cheaper cost of living, don't have to move twice, i know people here from my current work.

2) Move to Boston and then move again in 12-18 months. I dislike moving so often since I can never feel settled if I know I'm leaving in a year but this might be better then the commutes. Drawbacks: High cost of living, having to move twice. positives: short commute, living in a big city.

3) move to Providence or another area of RI and buy a condo/home then take the T from there to Boston until the group moves. I'd be looking to spend around $300K for a condo so I can't afford the new "luxury" apartments they're building but I think I could get something decent (right?). How has the soft housing market affected Providence? Can you pick up a good deal? Drawbacks: 1 hour comute, not knowing people in the city. positives: only have to move once, building equity in a condo.

How hard is it to meet new people in Providence?

I know there are a lot of questions in this post. Any advice people can provide would be much appreciated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the commute to boston on the T from providence would be the same time to commute from southern NH.

i would recommend moving to RI if the company will be moving here anyways. there's no point in doing the commute to boston from southern NH just to move when the company moves. you have the same length of time commuting from providence and i think the property taxes are lower here than in NH. for $300k, you can get a pretty good place in a good neighborhood in providence.

as for the positives of moving here rather than staying in NH or moving to boston (i think your real options would just be staying in NH or moving here... unless you want to live in boston for a bit)... it is easy to meet people in providence, there's plenty of bars, plenty of activities, and there's always a UP meetup. :thumbsup: you'll only have to move once. there are some people on here who commute to boston regularly, they might be able to offer better opinions, but i've heard that it's a pretty easy commute.

The T to Boston from Providence is fine, but it will cost you a couple hundred per month. It will take you less time than the NH commute you are proposing, and for $300K you could actually get pretty close to the train station (although only in the903, but I'm not starting that discussion again)

One thing you might want to consider is renting something small in Boston and waiting for the market to soften a bit more in RI. I know that you don't want to move twice, but if you bank the savings from not commuting, then you will have some more cash for your downpayment, and your $300K might go farther.

300k can get you a decent 2 bedroom condo in Providence within walking distance (half mile) of the train station. I'd say go with this. If you can afford a 300k condo then I don't think the train pass will be too much of a stress on your budget and it will save you with gas.

Providence is very easy to meet new people. Tons of clubs catering to all ends of society, it's really easy to find your kind of people and fit right in. I think Providence should be rated the number medium sized city for one-night stands or something.

300k can get you a decent 2 bedroom condo in Providence within walking distance (half mile) of the train station. I'd say go with this. If you can afford a 300k condo then I don't think the train pass will be too much of a stress on your budget and it will save you with gas.

Providence is very easy to meet new people. Tons of clubs catering to all ends of society, it's really easy to find your kind of people and fit right in. I think Providence should be rated the number medium sized city for one-night stands or something.

I'm sure one can find something decent (more than decent) for $300k in close proximity to the train station on any of the hills, College, Federal, or Smith. The commute to Boston from Providence kind of depends on where in Boston you are going. If you are going near South or Back Bay Stations or somewhere on the Orange or Red lines, then it should be a very simple commute, if you're going somewhere not close to those places, or need to switch subway lines along the way, it does become a bit long.

The afternoon return trains are crowded. Getting on at Back Bay there's often standing room only outbound. If you have any flexibility to move your shift and hour one way or the other I'd do it. The ride into Boston is delightful. You board an empty train in Providence. I usually grab one of the single seats at the top of the stairs on the double deckers so I don't have to sit with anyone. -_-

Of course, in the Providence forum we're all going to tell you to move here. But I do agree it is pretty ideal if you are positive your company is moving. The drive to/from NH sucks, you can catch the commuter rail on the Mass side of the border though. And finding and paying for an apartment in Boston, just to move a year later would be a real drag in my opinion.

And when you move here you can join us all for one of our druken forum meetings. :alc:

15 trains a day now (and new weekend service too) should make for a easy 'T' commute to/from BOS. I think there is a lot to do in Providence and RI in general and you'll find that getting to any corner of the State takes 30-45 minutes max. If you want to go apple picking in the country - you can be there is 30 minutes. The beach you say - 45 minutes. Maybe a college basketball game - 5-10 minutes to the Dunk if you live in the city...

We'll always be here to help if you want it too!!

there was one at the end of october for the neutaconkanut (or however it's spelled) hike, but it got rained out so we just moved it to the icon cafe. there were a few people there... me, cotuit, garris, matt, brick, and markone... i think that was it. it was really a crappy day for it, but we braved the flooded valley st. it was posted on here.

3) move to Providence or another area of RI and buy a condo/home then take the T from there to Boston until the group moves. I'd be looking to spend around $300K for a condo so I can't afford the new "luxury" apartments they're building but I think I could get something decent (right?). How has the soft housing market affected Providence? Can you pick up a good deal? Drawbacks: 1 hour comute, not knowing people in the city. positives: only have to move once, building equity in a condo.

How hard is it to meet new people in Providence?

I know there are a lot of questions in this post. Any advice people can provide would be much appreciated.

They aren't regularly scheduled, they're usually posted, and pinned on the main Rhode Island page. I don't know if I'll try to organize one before the New Year, it's a busy time of year for most people. Do people want to schedule one for before the New Year?

We've had about a half dozen official UP forum meetings, with anywhere from 5 to 35 people attending. Good times!

Thanks for all of your responses. I have Thanksgiving weekend to decide so I'll think about it over the next few days. I would like to meet up for drinks if/when I move. From what I can see online there aren't many condos that match what I'm looking for other then "the 903". But given what I've read from former owners/renter I'd have to think long and hard about moving there (I don't mean to start that discussion again either). You all are very good advocates for Providence but I still have no idea what I'm going to do... oh well.

Interesting, I'll have to check that out. It will no doubt be in molested condition after I get done with it (hence the name).

PS -- by the way, Divot, Triggs Memorial (city-owned muni course) is a great old Donald Ross track in relatively unmolested condition (they have Ross's original drawings). Not to be missed!

Thanks for all of your responses. I have Thanksgiving weekend to decide so I'll think about it over the next few days. I would like to meet up for drinks if/when I move. From what I can see online there aren't many condos that match what I'm looking for other then "the 903". But given what I've read from former owners/renter I'd have to think long and hard about moving there (I don't mean to start that discussion again either). You all are very good advocates for Providence but I still have no idea what I'm going to do... oh well.

Interesting, I'll have to check that out. It will no doubt be in molested condition after I get done with it (hence the name).

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ripta.com/content306.html

For those of you who commute to Providence, or those of you, like me, who take the train from PVD to Boston every day, This is easily the cheapest way to park in PVD.

All you need is 2 people, register your car(s), park at the mall for $2.50 per day.. The normal one person rate is $165 a month I think.. 20 work days average per month, $50 a month.. Nowhere is cheaper.. Its one of those got to be too good to be true things, but it isn't.. Some rules, got to arrive and leave together, no exceptions, use certain lanes, and be out by 8PM, in before 8PM?, but totally worth it..

• 2 months later...

Archived