What commute / living situation would be ideal?

Divot

The buses from Newport to Providence take FOREVER, particularly the one that runs up the East Bay. The 14 express bus goes over the bridges and runs up the West Bay and is a little faster. I certainly would NEVER EVER want to commute from Newport to Providence everyday. One way you end up paying bridge tolls daily, and the other way you'll sit in 195 traffic.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing to keep in mind when considering commuting from Newport is the tourist season. The road from the island to the mainland, Rt 138 W, can be backed up for quite a ways when a popular vacation week ends, or more commonly... Sundays. Similarly, Friday nights heading South from Providence can be a bit of a headache at rushour during beach season.

People do it, no doubt, but it's not for everyone.

i would commute to and from newport on two conditions:

1. i could work from home some days

2. that i had the most beautiful and peaceful home to go to after commuting. I most certainly wouldn't tackle that drive if i was living in a tiny apartment with parking and partying problems.

Now, Jamestown is another story. i would live on Jamestown in a second. Lately i really just want some peace and quiet.

I am one of those people who commute from Providence to the Newport area every day. I go from the East Side to southern Middletown and I usually factor about an hour for travel time. With normal traffic and driving casually it usually takes about 50 minutes. 95% of the time I take I-195E to 24S instead of 95S to 138E because going through Fall River seems to have less traffic on average. Without traffic both routes take about the same amount of time. My travel times are better than yours would be because I

Archived