Michael Richards, "Kramer" from Seinfield using a racial slurs

kayman

"Kramer's" Racist Tirade -- Caught on Tape

Video from TMZ.com

Michael Richards exploded in anger as he performed at a famous L.A. comedy club last Friday, hurling racial epithets that left the crowd gasping, and TMZ has obtained exclusive video of the ugly incident.

Richards, who played the wacky Cosmo Kramer on the hit TV show "Seinfeld," appeared onstage at the Laugh Factory in West Hollywood. Kyle Doss, an African-American, told TMZ he and some friends were in the cheap seats and he was playfully heckling Richards when suddenly, the comedian lost it.

The camera started rolling just as Richards began his attack, screaming at one of the men, "Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

Richards continued, "You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now motherf**ker. Throw his ass out. He's a ######! He's a ######! He's a ######! A ######, look, there's a ######!"

The crowd is visibly and audibly confused and upset. Richards responds by saying, "They're going to arrest me for calling a black man a ######."

One of the men who was the object of Richard's tirade was outraged, shouting back "That's un-f***ing called for, ain't necessary."

After the three-minute tirade, it appears the majority of the audience members got up and left in disgust.

Attempts to reach Richards' reps were unsuccessful.

2006 TMZ.com

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty sad.

It's amazing how much pent up racism this country has. Are people really that afraid of other "groups"?

It's the same thing here with Somalians, Hmong, Native Americans, and Vietnamese (and more often now, Mexican)...

Personally, I think it's cool when you see a Somalian muslim working at Target in a town that is 99% white... I'm flattered that you would choose this place out of the many many other places in the country to make a new life.

very sickening. Thats the kind of scene youd expect to see at a kkk rally. I never watched Seinfield anyways. Thank god I didnt waste hours of my time watching him. It also amazes me that some people didnt even leave his show. I guess they thought what he was saying was ok. There are more racists then people realize. Its not like the 1950s when most people were open about it. some people are racist and they dont even consiously realize it. As long as humans walk the earth there will always be racism and bigotry unfortunatly. It amazes me how ignorant people can be.

Segregation also exist today. Races tend to be seperated by neighborhoods. Theres always the black neighborhoods and the white neighborhoods. It seems like in some neighborhoods, as soon as minorities start moving in, white people start moving out. You start seeing the For Sale signs in the front yards. why are people so scared? we are all people.

I must not be good at searching because I can not find this confirmed by an actual news source, just forums and actor/movie type sites. I have watched the video, but knowing Richards penchant for pranks, and my inability to match what I can barely hear to the captioned dialogue, I am not 100% convinced it is real. That is not my endorsement of such material or language, but it also is not beyond the audacity of quite a few comedians out there, black or white, to stage such a thing. I have attended mainstream comedy acts whose black comedians included material and subject matter worse than this, I am suspending belief until someone posts a link.

EDIT - Nevermind, they just aired on local news (Fox).

I register this as a demonstration of how gutless and spinless of a racist "Kramer" really is. Sorry Mr. Racist! But there's no avoiding the fact that every body puts pants on the same way; one leg at a time. But anyway he's yet another celeb that pressed the auto-destruct button on his career.

Is it really any surprise? I mean the N-word is used as common vocabulary on a daily basis in many a black community.

I realize it's out of context, but don't you think it carries weight? I do. Otherwise you wouldn't have people guffawing over the fact that it's 2006.

And Nixon wasn't a crook...

Yes we have a way to go, and I thinkw hat had been said about people not realizing their own bigotry can be true. They may have grown up not seeing overt racism and have friends from all backgrounds and such, but there may be some part of them that may subconsciencely in some ways do or say some things they may not otherwise. Then they'll be offended when being called on it because everything did not add up in their minds as being such. It doesn't mean they would join a hate group and express hatred. They don't hate at all, but there's some kind of disconnect.

I hope all that made some kind of sense... when it gets late I just talk and say "may" 100 times.

About the neighborhoods being segregated, it's usually by choice now. No one is really forced to live in a certain area. Now about people moving because someone moved in, I haven't notcied that happening here these days... but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

But I think this may have killed his career more than the Seinfeld curse.

very sickening. Thats the kind of scene youd expect to see at a kkk rally. I never watched Seinfield anyways. Thank god I didnt waste hours of my time watching him. It also amazes me that some people didnt even leave his show. I guess they thought what he was saying was ok. There are more racists then people realize. Its not like the 1950s when most people were open about it. some people are racist and they dont even consiously realize it. As long as humans walk the earth there will always be racism and bigotry unfortunatly. It amazes me how ignorant people can be.

i have watched all the footage from the laugh factory of that night. i think it's also fair to watch his (michael richards) talking/apology on david letterman... if any of you wish to here is the link: http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/dave...ighlights.shtml

not to condone such ignorance and insensitivity, but i feel like the guy is genuinely reeling from his racist episode... and futhermore he hopefully will learn valuable insight from it. we have become a nation that usually can forgive a person for their idiotcy... @ least once. whether it be a politican that carelessly harkens to a time of racial divsions (trent lott) or be it a sports figure who charges the crowd in anger

(ron artest).... our society is known to accept an apology and move on. maybe that is good thing, maybe it's a bad thing?

^ Indeed. Not to mention, that those within the black community distinguish its use (either friendly or unfriendly) with the latter being taken as offensive. Richards used the word in the offensive sense. Much the way rednecks will call each other "boy" and "cracker," but let an outsider call them that and they're ready to fight. Groups tend to own the words that hurt them--they take the words, define it for themselves, and then use that word, and in that sense, it belongs to that community. I don't like hearing it. I especially don't like hearing it from a middle aged white man, who has so much rage in his heart. Even his apology--there was something there. Does anyone else think that?

Archived