Your ideas to improve Murfreesboro

Justiceham

Murfreesboro is sprawling at an incredible rate. The city limits currently span 55 miles and growing. Most of the attention on Murfreesboro, however, has been paid to this type of growth, sprawl. I'm interested in what you think Murfreesboro could do to improve it's infrastructure, roadways, downtown, or anything a city should consider when creating positive, connective, innovative, urban development.

Edited by Justiceham

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of the biggest things the city can do is ensure that our liberties are protected, rather than infringed upon. We need to get the city out of the business of making mandatory aesthetic decisions for property owners, and reject efforts to further restrict the ability of businesses owners to advertise their businesses in the way that they see fit.

^ I'm afraid you're right, Lexy. I fault myself for not taking an active stand publicly against such tyrannical practices. Unfortunately it would seem that all too many businesses are eager to fall in line with such behavior as evidenced by how many local business had signs on their property last year in support of a partially taxpayer-funded convention center.

^ I'm afraid you're right, Lexy. I fault myself for not taking an active stand publicly against such tyrannical practices. Unfortunately it would seem that all too many businesses are eager to fall in line with such behavior as evidenced by how many local business had signs on their property last year in support of a partially taxpayer-funded convention center.

Well, I blame myself for a number of things "gone wrong" in Murf. LOL!! But I digress. At some point, things will get on a better track around here. I just hope it isn't too late when it does

The main thing about Murf. is it needs to embrace it's history, heritage, present, and future better. Take what many other cities of the same size and above have learned and turn them into a positive for this community. Not every development has to have fake stucco siding and chain stores in it. Just the same, not every neighborhood has to have snake-like winding roads that end in cul-de-sacs. I think it really just becomes a splitting hairs type thing and that is where it starts to get ugly. Don't let the developers have full reign with things. And for goodness sakes, listen to the public more and stop forcing city government on everyone that doesn't want it. Like the group next door to me that want the cities annexation voided here on the west side of town.

I think one thing the city is doing right is restricting the tall signs and clutter around the interstate to fifty feet and eliminating them all together around other areas. Yes the signs sell the businesses and yes it lets the motorist know they are entering an area of commercial prosperity, but they are distracting and clumsy looking. Take a look at Broad Street, it is a mess. The city wants to have all ground signs no taller than eight feet similar to what Brentwood, Franklin, and Hendersonville already have.

Edited by Justiceham

I agree with much of what you said, but if the developer owns the property, I believe he alone should decide how it should be developed, safety laws aside. Aesthetics by government committee is not evidence of a society of liberty-possessing individuals.

I understand what you are saying, and I am definitely a smaller governement proponent in general. However, I personally disagree with you on this issue. I wish Murfreesboro put more restrictions on signage, aesthetic controls, various codes, etc. We moved to Murf. a little over a year ago for the specific reason that the city and the subdivision we built in were very strict on what was allowed. We moved away from LaVergne because anything went there. Our property value, not to mention the pride and joy we took in our surroundings was eroded constantly there. I think decisions have to be made for the greater good in this area. If the aesthetics (and therefore property values and even quality of life to some degree) are going to be improved, it is in everyone's best interest.

Changing the topic a little bit, I think there are good things going on in Murfreesboro. At least the phrase "mixed-use" is in the lexicon now. There is certainly sprawl, but people are beginning to be aware of the problems there, and there have been some steps in the right direction. It's very difficult to overcome sprawl in a city like Murfreesboro (or any new city in the South or West). Public transportation is virtually impossible in any sense that would affect the public at large. We just don't have the population density to make it happen. As gas gets more expensive, our problem will become more and more urgent. I don't know if we can maintain this lifestyle into the forseeable future. But it will require a complete paradigm shift to overcome it. As well as a lot of tearing down and rebuilding of our cities.

^ I'm definitely sympathetic to your concerns regarding property value, but for me ensuring liberty and protecting property rights has to come before protecting the citizenry's property values from the government's point-of-view. Otherwise I fear the slippery slope that can result from the government making aesthetic decisions for property owners.

Well, this is off the current topic, but is what I think would improve the 'boro.

I could go on for hours about other issues, but to help with traffic I think a major parkway needs to happen. Not just a wide boulevard(we have those) but something limited-access like Vietnam Veterans. However, unlike V.V. which just fades into nothing, I think it would be great if it looped from 24 and back(or maybe to 840). Perhaps it could start north of Joe Johnson, loop behind MTSU and connect to 840 near Smith Springs Road.

Yes, it would be outrageously expensive but with all of the other TDOT money we have to burn, why not. It would definately set Murfreesboro up to be a major developing area.

...maybe we could actually have that Nashville/Murfreesboro-Dallas/Ft. Worth dream I have been having.

Well, this is off the current topic, but is what I think would improve the 'boro.

I could go on for hours about other issues, but to help with traffic I think a major parkway needs to happen. Not just a wide boulevard(we have those) but something limited-access like Vietnam Veterans. However, unlike V.V. which just fades into nothing, I think it would be great if it looped from 24 and back(or maybe to 840). Perhaps it could start north of Joe Johnson, loop behind MTSU and connect to 840 near Smith Springs Road.

Yes, it would be outrageously expensive but with all of the other TDOT money we have to burn, why not. It would definately set Murfreesboro up to be a major developing area.

...maybe we could actually have that Nashville/Murfreesboro-Dallas/Ft. Worth dream I have been having.

I've had that dream too, as well as Minneapolis/St. Paul. There is a loop under construction if you haven't heard. It is the Southwest loop road and it will be better than a limited access highway, it will be a controlled access highway with separated grading and interchanges over SR 840, Franklin Road, New Salem Higway, South Church Street, Manchester Highway, and finally terminating at John Bragg Highway. However, the project, in its entirety, will take seven years (2013). I believe once the Rutherford Boulevard and Church Street over pass and interchange are completed as well as the direct route to MTSU from the New Salem exit, it will make life so much easier for students. Until then, the traffic woes continue.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=523

Edited by Justiceham

I've had that dream too, as well as Minneapolis/St. Paul. There is a loop under construction if you haven't heard. It is the Southwest loop road and it will be better than a limited access highway, it will be a controlled access highway with separated grading and interchanges over SR 840, Franklin Road, New Salem Higway, South Church Street, Manchester Highway, and finally terminating at John Bragg Highway. However, the project, in its entirety, will take seven years (2013). I believe once the Rutherford Boulevard and Church Street over pass and interchange are completed as well as the direct route to MTSU from the New Salem exit, it will make life so much easier for students. Until then, the traffic woes continue.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=523

I believe that the City should focus on more dense infill development. Continued attention to mass transit is important. I believe they should continue to build on the greenway system...and do a better job of connecting the system to shopping areas, the university...and residential developments.

I believe that the City should focus on more dense infill development. Continued attention to mass transit is important. I believe they should continue to build on the greenway system...and do a better job of connecting the system to shopping areas, the university...and residential developments.

I agree. The city keeps expanding the city limits and throwing up houses and townhomes when the roads are inadequate for even the current population. Downtown has been frozen since 1992 when the 15 story Regions Bank Tower was completed. I would like to see something happen downtown such as infill projects including restaurants and an entertainmant district (Either Main, Vine, or Spring Street would be perfect for this). I think it's time Murfreesboro grows up gets some new towers. A few twenty or thirty story towers would be just enough to give it a real skyline without causing too much controversy. I really don't know what the height restrictions are for downtown, but I do know it is 150 ft. for anything in the Gateway district.

I agree. The city keeps expanding the city limits and throwing up houses and townhomes when the roads are inadequate for even the current population. Downtown has been frozen since 1992 when the 15 story Regions Bank Tower was completed. I would like to see something happen downtown such as infill projects including restaurants and an entertainmant district (Either Main, Vine, or Spring Street would be perfect for this). I think it's time Murfreesboro grows up gets some new towers. A few twenty or thirty story towers would be just enough to give it a real skyline without causing too much controversy. I really don't know what the height restrictions are for downtown, but I do know it is 150 ft. for anything in the Gateway district.

I wish the city would create mixed-use zoning and push for something different.....like encouraging green development...or something that would make the boro unique....could we be an Athens, GA?