Looking for things to do, places to go, in Chicago

Allison Slater

I'll be in Chicago on the 23rd (of December) to see Markus Schulz at Vision Nightclub. But, I'll likely make a whole day of it. Where are places I should check out and see during the day before the party? And where are places I can go at night after the party wihle I wait for the commuter rail to start running?

I can't afford much so everything must be acceptable for a shoestring budget, and my only means of transportation will be a pair of shoes. =]

Is there a public observation deck atop the John Hancock Center?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be in Chicago on the 23rd (of December) to see Markus Schulz at Vision Nightclub. But, I'll likely make a whole day of it. Where are places I should check out and see during the day before the party? And where are places I can go at night after the party wihle I wait for the commuter rail to start running?

I can't afford much so everything must be acceptable for a shoestring budget, and my only means of transportation will be a pair of shoes. =]

Is there a public observation deck atop the John Hancock Center?

I used to live in the part of downtown that you are going to see Markus Shulz at (over a couple of blocks at State/Superior). There are several things around there that you could make a day of without footing it very far but even if you did want to do something in another part of Chicago the Red Line subway runs under State Street. The club is in the middle of two subway stops, one at Grand and one at Chicago and by catching it you can transfer to any of the other lines.

You could really spend all week just walking around in that one area and not see everything so I doubt you need to go far to find entertainment. I personally get the most joy out of going to the lake front which is a fairly short walk. Chicago has a great park system that runs along the lake front and connects with their bigger parks (Lincoln & Grant/Millenium). Go see the John Hancock Observatory, pick up a Chicago style pizza at Giordano's and head over to Millinium Park and people watch around the Bean and walk through the gardens there. It is a little better to do during the summer months but I think you'd still have a great time doing this, just dress for it. :)

Buy yourself a good pair of earmuffs and you can stay outside in the cold in Chicago walking for hours. I learned that from my brother who lives in Chicago. It's usually your ears that get coldest the fastest. Most people remember a heavy coat and gloves, and forget their head. :P

Make sure you check out State Street and downtown inside the loop, and not just the Michigan Avenue/River North touristy areas.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&a...mp;t=h&om=1

Leave the car at home and hop on the South Shore Line from Michigan City, IN.

It's been a while, but I think last call is 4 AM in Chicago, with many clubs staying open past that.

As I said, I'll be taking a train into chicago on a saturday and will be leaving the next morning, and my night time will already be taken up by being at Vision. I have a very limited budget so I'll likely stay away from the more pricey resturaunts. Might consider the pizza but not sure.. I work at a pizza place. Not exactly the top of my list of appealing foods, although I'm sure the pizza in Chicago is 20x better than what I make. =p

I guess in a couple weeks I'll look all therse places up on a map, see what's nearby... make a list of them and wander around when I'm there. When I see something on the list, I'll take extra attention into checking it out. That way I get to see some of the hot spots, and get a little adventurous exploration as well. =]

• 2 weeks later...

The Chicago Architectural Foundation has great daily tours. The 23rd of December they are offering a number of them. Its 14 bucks a pop, but worth it.

12/31 tours

The foundation is located across the street from the Art Institute at 224 South Michigan. They have a great shop and usually some exhibit.

For a reletivly cheap lunch check out 17 West or The Berghoff Cafe (in the basment) on Adams. Their carvery is great. Both are left overs of the Old Berhgoff Restaurant. Other great spots (breakfast) Lou Mitchell's (cash only) on Jackson or the Eleven City Dinner on S. Wabash. It's a great deli/breakfast spot. La Cocina on Clark near Van Buren is an great Mexican Joint we eat at for lunch alot. We call it the "Dirty Kitchen."

If you want to get out of downtown, a short ride (10/15 min) on the O'Hare Blue line to Damen will bring you to Bucktown/Wicker Park. Tons of places to eat and visit there. Piece is a great Pizza joint on North Ave.

Their are so many damn things to look at even without paying anything. GRdad is right, just get some good earmuffs and walking shoes and go.

Archived