105 members have voted

1. 1. Mass Transit options:

• Street Car
    • Light Rail
    • Commuter Rail
    • Heavy Rail/Subway
    • Monorail
    • Automobile/Bus

My favorite is close between street car and light rail. Luckily a lot of times they are about the same. While it is not the fastest form of transit it is always a blast. The cars a so varried and interesting in the different areas that helps add to the character. My favorite line that I have ridden would be here in Tampa. Memphis and Portland are more famous and have great lines too, but I have yet to have the pleasure to ride on them.

Steve

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a great point that street cars do tend to compete with street space in a possibly already crowded down town. They would not be a wise choice in DT areas like New York. This is where a elevated or underground light rail line would raise (no pun intended) above the street car in my opinion. Let us not forget that light rail can and often does actually run underground or occasionally elevated. Some examples would be San Diego (part of the line), LA (part), and other systems in and outside of the USA. These woujld technically be a subway as it is underground, but the implication of this thread is that subway/heavy rail/ and metro are the type of transit used in Miami (metro rail) New York, and the Metro in Puerto Rico.

Steve

In general, I think subways are the best for aesthetics; out of sight, out of mind, and clearly they don't interfere with surface operations, a big plus, and they are not so bad to ride. Still, impractical in a lot of places, and expensive to build.

Personally, monorail is #1 for me; as a rider, I like to be able to see what is around me from an elevated vantage point. Plus you don't have the issues of at-grade rail like accidents, traffic snarls, etc. From a building stand point, cheaper than subways, more expensive than at-grade rail initially, but not in the long-run with lawsuits, lost time, etc. due to accidents and such. For the rider as well as the non-rider, they are advantageous from a noise standpoint tool; rubber on concrete (usually) vs. styeel on steel, a lot more noise for sure. After all, you don't see light rail trains pulling into the Disney Hotel lobby!! :)

All methods though certainly have their place and need, just that the powers-that-be don't always choose the best methods in their infinite wisdom.

My best experiences on public transit have been long-distance travel by train. There's nothing quite like gliding along across the Bergischeland in western Germany at 200mph. Also, there's just something nice about riding the train through the alps, even if it is slower.

As far as in-city transit:

1. Subway (esp. Vienna and Prague's systems)

2. Streetcar/LRT (Generally convenient and cheaper)

3. Trolleybus. These systems are cool because they can maneuver better than light rail, but also have the problem of getting stuck in traffic where no bus lane is available. Salzburg's trolleybus system is very efficient, convenient, and serves a large area. Standard diesel buses serve less travelled routes, and those buses are generally stinkier and louder.

Personal Rapid Transit: No waiting for a vehicle during non-peak times, and short wait times during the peak of rush hour, direct-to-destination with no stopping, short walks to stations (one-eighth mile on average), energy efficient, no traction problems due to snow or ice (movement provided by linear induction motor), grade-separated to avoid accidents or other interaction with at-grade people or vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_rapid_transit

• 2 weeks later...

I have to be the oddball and go with commuter rail. True, it's not as exciting or glamourous as many of the other modes, however, it (in most practical areas) serves a huge portion of people. It removes millions of people from the roads, reduces our oil dependance, and serves the environment. Besides, how do you think all of these commuters reach the areas of street cars and subways in the first place.

You are absolutly correct. Commuter rail can be the life line of many DT and core transit systems. Many areas and towns start with a commuter line and move to a LRT or subway line eventually. I know that in Tampa we are trying to get both running, but the commuter rail line would probobly be the first up; the same goes for Orlando where they are actually working towards construction on the commuter line now.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I think to make the poll question a little more balanced for use in JTA type meetings, I would combine

*Light Rail/Streetcars/Heritage Trolleys

*Heavy rail/subway/elevated/monorail

*Busway/Bus Rapid Transit

*City bus/trolley bus

*Automobile/carpool/van/taxi

By splitting rail into too many groups and combining automobiles with all buses, one cannot really get a grip on the "Public Transit" choice of the masses. I know I'm new here, but I would love to see a recount like this.

traintrain

• 4 weeks later...

I votted commuter rail b/c I like the individual seats & the long ride time--->more time to read. Usually less crowded - yes, comm-rail is the best!! :lol:

-------

vote por el tren conmutario. Prefiero los asientos personales el viaje mas largo - puedo leer sin interrupcion, menos gente, mas comodo de paso...

• 2 weeks later...

I voted a while ago and don't remember what I chose. I like trains in all forms over anything with tires. I used to take the commuter rail to Boston, then the subway, then the light rail, to get to band practice. Way better than driving.

Archived